Re: [hs reviews] Re: Yes, me too!

  • Reeska007@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 15, 2008
      I lost the thread...Is is Cathy Duffy that has EXTREME Christian views?
      Sorry I am a little lost.

      Reeska

      In a message dated 2/15/2008 10:18:01 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      indigo.ottyr@... writes:

      I did not find that book useful at ALL. The author has an EXTREMELY strong
      Christian bias, so if you aren't Christian, you may end up with a curriculum
      that is not suited to you if you go according to her recommendations. She
      tried labeling them "secular" or "protestant" or whatever, but with her strong
      bias, a lot of the ones she called "secular" actually aren't. Her bias was just
      too strong to see it, I guess.

      mkjlhowell <_mandkhowell@mandkhowelman_ (mailto:mandkhowell@...) >
      wrote:
      Cathy Duffy's 100 Top picks for Homeschool Curriculum is a huge help!
      It's available at my local library, but I have it checked out right now.

      .

      Brightest blessings,
      Indigo Ottyr

      Join this super cool club and swap books for FREE - PaperBackSwap.Joi
      Or if you prefer movies...Swap Your DVDs at SwapaDVD.com

      Awards. Go to AOL Music.

    • mkjlhowell
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 16, 2008
        Sorry guys....I don't follow the extreme Christianity bit in Cathy
        Duffy's book 100 Top picks for Homeschool Curriculum. What I loved
        so much about the book was that it really divides curriculum based
        on a child's personality. This was such an important part of me
        trying to choose curriculum, cause I always struggled until I got to
        college and found out how I learned. So the learning style was a
        huge plus in this book. It also broke down curriculum so that if
        you were Christian/Catholic/non-religious you could choose
        accordingly. All that said - you have to just look and choose what
        you feel is best. But I will say that curriculum choices can be
        overwhelming and this book was what I needed to feel comfortable in
        decieding what curriculum went with what - meaning
        visual/kinesthetic etc.

        Kelli

        > I lost the thread...Is is Cathy Duffy that has EXTREME Christian
        views?
        > Sorry I am a little lost.
        >
        > Reeska
        >

        > In a message dated 2/15/2008 10:18:01 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        > indigo.ottyr@... writes:
        >

        > I did not find that book useful at ALL. The author has an
        EXTREMELY strong
        > Christian bias, so if you aren't Christian, you may end up with a
        curriculum
        > that is not suited to you if you go according to her
        recommendations. She
        > tried labeling them "secular" or "protestant" or whatever, but
        with her strong
        > bias, a lot of the ones she called "secular" actually aren't. Her
        bias was just
        > too strong to see it, I guess.
        >
        > mkjlhowell <_mandkhowell@mandkhowelman_ (mailto:mandkhowell@...)
        >
        > wrote:
        > Cathy Duffy's 100 Top picks for Homeschool Curriculum is a huge
        help!
        > It's available at my local library, but I have it checked out
        right now.

        > .
        >
        > Brightest blessings,
        > Indigo Ottyr
        >
        > Join this super cool club and swap books for FREE -
        PaperBackSwap.Joi
        > Or if you prefer movies...Swap Your DVDs at SwapaDVD.com
        >

        > **************The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the
        Grammy

      • Reeska007@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 16, 2008
          Thanks Kelli,
          I met Cathy Duffy and she didn't express "Extreme" christian views, nor did she push her religious prefrence. I thought that her advice was more towards what you said, teaching to your child's learning styles. Thanks I was a little lost with the post.

          Reeska

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 16, 2008
            I am all over the learning styles of the children and the parents and how it
            can and should impact your curriculum that you buy and how you teach. Over
            the years I have done LOTS of research on this topic and have found one
            woman with the same vision that has a web site that is FREE. You can work
            through all the forms and find out which curriculum best suits your family
            ~before~ you buy it. What a money saver. I highly recommend this site-
            check it out: http://www.oklahomahomeschool.com/

            She also reviews books and curriculum. Did I mention it is a great site!

            ~Sharon

            _____

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 20, 2008
              FYI...I just found www.kidsknowit.com which is a website for many
              things educational, but it appears to all be free.
            • Angela Winters
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 21, 2008
                This is an awesome site!!

                **Angie**

                Wife and homeschooling mom of 5

                ever wondered what it's like to live in a zoo? visit my blog!
                <http://angeladwinters.blogspot.com/> http://angeladwinters.blogspot.com/

                Great curriculum--instantly! Visit Homeschool Estore!
                <http://www.homeschoolestore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=21223&
                affiliate_id=29622%20>