What to do after 100 easy lessons

  • Heather Goodale
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2007
      We ended up following up with other programs. But one thing we did once they were able to read a little was to get every easy reader we could get from the library, starting with Bob Books and similar first readers. There are also lots of other basic readers in the library. Then we went on to the Step into Reading books (and similar readers that come in stages). Another fairly inexpensive program that really helped was Explode the Code. Each book is about $7 or $8 and they can last for several months, depending on how fast you want to go through them. They're workbooks and can even be self-teaching, depending on the student. You may want to look at them at a bookstore to determine the level. The beginning ones are Get Ready for thr Code, Get Set for the Code, and Go for the Code. Then there are levels 1-8 (and half levels for extra practice, i.e. 1 1/2 covers the same concepts as 1). Each concentrates on specific concepts in phonics. I had one child who really struggled with reading and this seemed to be the best for her. I've found them at LifeWay and Berean bookstores, but other bookstores, like Barnes and Noble, can order them too. Of course, you can also order online.
      Heather