RE: [hs reviews] Trying to get started HELP!

  • Oom Yaaqub
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 24, 2007
      In the first place, if she is crying on a daily basis then you shouldn't
      wait to pull her out. Most of us find our kids need some time to "deschool"
      when they first leave public school anyway so it isn't as if you HAD to have
      everything lined up. Just reading library books for a few weeks won't hurt
      her. Talk to the school--in some states they will loan you books and in
      every state they dispose of a lot of perfectly good books just because a
      cover is missing or something. They will usually give these away or sell
      them at yard sale prices to anyone that asks. You can also find textbooks of
      every description at thrift shops and the like, often for just two or three
      dollars each. Even if you move onto to something else, your daughter will
      have something to do in the meantime.

      Where do you live? The reason I ask is that some states do offer publicly
      funded cyber charter schools. They are considered part of the public school
      system so they will furnish everything for free--books, supplies, even a
      computer--but your child gets to stay home, with online and telephone
      support from a certified teacher. There are also private cyber high schools,
      but unfortunately they don't come cheap.

      I cannot make specific curriculum suggestions without knowing more about
      your daughter, her strengths and weaknesses, learning style, future plans,
      etc. I strongly advise NOT going out and buying an entire curriculum if you
      can help it, because they are so expensive, rigid and unnecessary. Of course
      you might want to buy a particular SUBJECT, such as math. Some favorites are
      MathUSee and Saxon Math. Neither is "best" -- it depends on a child's
      particular learning style. Both do offer free placement tests on their web
      sites--and you should go by the test scores, NOT her grade level.

      You really can do a bang-up job educating your daughter on the cheap,
      relying heavily on the Internet and the public library, with only a few
      formal subjects purchased. Do check into your state and/or school district's
      "scope and sequence" for her grade. That's public record, so if you want to
      keep up with the public school, at least you will know exactly what they are
      covering. You can also purchase standardized tests very cheaply (The widely
      used, nationally normed California Achievement Test, for instance, is
      available for $25.) You just test your child according to the instructions
      provided, send everything back, and within a few weeks you will have results
      on official letterhead. That's another good way of measuring her perfomance,
      even if your particular state doesn't require annual testing. At least YOU
      will know where she stands.

      >From: "civilclerk1" <civilclerk1@...>
      >To: 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [hs reviews] Trying to get started HELP!
      >Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:30:07 -0000
      >
      >Hi All:
      >
      >I am wanting to start homeschooling my 16 year old daughter. I need
      >help on where to find used curriculum that I can buy. I also need help
      >on where to buy a placement test or have her tested. I checked into a
      >few programs for curriculum and WHEW! the costs were crazy! I am a
      >single mother that wants to take control of her education due to a
      >public school where teachers throw water bottles at students and when
      >they tell the principal, the teacher calls them a "nark" from that day
      >forward. I need help asap. I don't want to pull her out until I get
      >something lined up but everyday she cries. She has an anxiety disorder
      >that doesn't help matters.
      >
      >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    • L. McIntyre
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 24, 2007
        Ebay is a great place to find used curriculums. I STRONGLY suggest that you
        either check out the book "The Well-Trained Mind" by Jessie Wise and Susan
        Wise Bauer from your library or purchase it. I use it every year to plan
        the course of study for each of my 3 children. There are enough free
        resources on the internet and in the library it would be a shame to keep her
        in this environment.

        To test, I suggest the CAT (California Achievement Test). It's not so hard
        on the pocket book as some others ($35). You can purchase this from
        http://www.familylearning.org/tests_cat.php and test her yourself. My
        sister uses this one every year for her son.

        If your daughter has not yet dissected a frog, here's a site to obtain a
        FREE digital frog cd-rom. You can also download a teacher's manual and
        student materials. Students can perform an entire frog dissection with a
        "digital scalpel."
        http://support.pcrm.org/site/PageServer?pagename=dissalt_digital_frog2

        For history, here's a free site on the Middle Ages that could keep her busy
        for weeks. It is very structured and easy to follow:
        http://www.kidskonnect.com/content/view/272/27/

        If she has not yet been exposed to the Shakespearean plays, check your
        library to see if they have a series on video. Note, that Shakespeare was
        meant to be SEEN not READ and quite frankly, they are easier to understand
        when action is behind the words.

        You are more than welcome to email me off list if you would like more
        resources.

        Hope this helps, lorrie mc

        I am wanting to start homeschooling my 16 year old daughter. I need help on
        where to find used curriculum that I can buy. I also need help on where to
        buy a placement test or have her tested. I checked into a few programs for
        curriculum and WHEW! the costs were crazy! I am a single mother that wants
        to take control of her education due to a public school where teachers throw
        water bottles at students and when they tell the principal, the teacher
        calls them a "nark" from that day forward. I need help asap. I don't want
        to pull her out until I get something lined up but everyday she cries. She
        has an anxiety disorder that doesn't help matters.

        Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        This list supplements the books "Homeschool Your Child For Free"
        <http://www.hsfree.com> and "Homeschooling Step by Step"
        <http://www.homeschoolsteps.com>.
        Post message: mailto:0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com
        Moderator: LauraMaery Gold <http://www.hsfree.com>
        All forwards from this list must contain this footer: Subscribe at
        <http://www.hsfree.com>.
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • TAMMY DAVENPORT
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 25, 2007
          I've found the internet to be a great resource- there's a book out called homeschooling your child for free- i use it alot in making my curriculums.

          Have a good day,
          Tammie

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 25, 2007
            Sounds like you need to pull her out now even if there is not a
            curriculum in place. That can be worked out over time. Her
            emotional well being is far more important. Take her to the library
            and choose books in history, geography, autobiographys, etc. and work
            with those for now until you get something better.

            Two sites suggested by another person in this group are: "This list
            supplements the books "Homeschool Your Child For Free"
            <http://www.hsfree.com> and "Homeschooling Step by Step"
            <http://www.homeschoolsteps.com>."

            Here is another response that may help you - I have heard of this
            site several times but have not researched it. "Check out K12 virtual
            academy and it takes the guess work out of homeschool. It's really
            public school on line na dit supplies you with all texts, and
            computer that you need. You will be assigned a teacher to answer
            questions and it's free."

            Hope some of these sites prove useful to you and your daughter.

            Susan

            --- In 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com, "civilclerk1"
            <civilclerk1@...> wrote:

            > Hi All:
            >
            > I am wanting to start homeschooling my 16 year old daughter. I
            need
            > help on where to find used curriculum that I can buy. I also need
            help
            > on where to buy a placement test or have her tested. I checked
            into a
            > few programs for curriculum and WHEW! the costs were crazy! I am a
            > single mother that wants to take control of her education due to a
            > public school where teachers throw water bottles at students and
            when
            > they tell the principal, the teacher calls them a "nark" from that
            day
            > forward. I need help asap. I don't want to pull her out until I
            get
            > something lined up but everyday she cries. She has an anxiety
            disorder
            > that doesn't help matters.
            >
            > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

          • lthlrn
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 25, 2007
              Hi!
              As long as you don't have to have a curriculum submitted to the school
              district or anything like that, go ahead and pull her out! She will
              need some time as a transition anyway, have her help look for curriculum!
              Saxon has math placement tests online
              http://saxonhomeschool.harcourtachieve.com/en-US/saxonhomeschool.htm?MSCSProfile=DCCDF22EB27065BE12C6F42F5763BD06B7DC23E1B0B858A9BD11CD436D3C347B6468BA071C9504D70E5132D99A4D0F832C7E532E611B4F1A1CF5A6AC9785DDD25A10831CA61E567233A22E2D3E9CFA4B5F7781CE828C4AD623CFF9B29E67E279B60D82DB779FEF7346DF71801EEDAE14BC1EA3134799C4C2E36660D14D8F29D8&UserPref=culture%5Een-US

              This site has some helpful articles and stuff too:
              http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/
              Need to go for now, hope this helps you get started.
              Sara
              <civilclerk1@...> wrote:

              > Hi All:
              >
              > I am wanting to start homeschooling my 16 year old daughter. I need
              > help on where to find used curriculum that I can buy. I also need help
              > on where to buy a placement test or have her tested. I checked into a
              > few programs for curriculum and WHEW! the costs were crazy! I am a
              > single mother that wants to take control of her education due to a
              > public school where teachers throw water bottles at students and when
              > they tell the principal, the teacher calls them a "nark" from that day
              > forward. I need help asap. I don't want to pull her out until I get
              > something lined up but everyday she cries. She has an anxiety disorder
              > that doesn't help matters.
              >
              > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

            • Hank Tremblay
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 25, 2007
                Hi,
                Our16 year old son just started homeschool. Pretty much for
                simular reasons.. The people in charge of his school, have pretty
                much made the school suck for the kids..
                I went on e-bay, half book.com and amason.. and found, every book
                he was using in his 10th grade cources, I purchased old used books
                and saved money... Now the testing materials I haven't really spent
                any time looking at...
                I also purchased this book (Homeschooling Your Child for Free) by
                LauraMaery Gold and Joan M. Zielinski.. I found this book used, and
                is worth purchasing..
                I wish you the best..
                Hank Tremblay
                <civilclerk1@...> wrote:

                > Hi All:
                >
                > I am wanting to start homeschooling my 16 year old daughter. I
                need
                > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

              • mamalaw5
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                  Hi,
                  I'm sorry to hear your daughter is having such a bad time. I hope
                  this helps, they have curriculum up to 12th grade and some of the
                  book are even downloadable for free. Give it a try.
                  www.oldfashionededucation.com/fullcurriculum
                  Lisa

                • connietondo@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                    Please go to your public library most of them have an entire section on homeschooling also go to your search engine and type in HOMESCHOOL FOR FREE and check out some of the sites they have been a great help to me. Don't keep her in school any longer than you have to.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                      1st off find out what your state requires to
                      home-school because it may take as much as a month to
                      get your home-school accepted by the state (meaning
                      you have fulfilled their requirements)

                      next buy this book.

                      http://www.writerspost.com/hs4free/

                      --- civilclerk1 <civilclerk1@...> wrote:

                      > Hi All:
                      >
                      > I am wanting to start homeschooling my 16 year old
                      > daughter. I need
                      > help on where to find used curriculum that I can
                      > buy. I also need help
                      > on where to buy a placement test or have her tested.
                      > I checked into a
                      > few programs for curriculum and WHEW! the costs were
                      > crazy! I am a
                      > single mother that wants to take control of her
                      > education due to a
                      > public school where teachers throw water bottles at
                      > students and when
                      > they tell the principal, the teacher calls them a
                      > "nark" from that day
                      > forward. I need help asap. I don't want to pull
                      > her out until I get
                      > something lined up but everyday she cries. She has
                      > an anxiety disorder
                      > that doesn't help matters.

                      http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html
                    • Tajuana Rhodes
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                        Here's another great read:

                        This is our 1st year homeschooling. Before I started I checked out "Homeschooling for Dummies" during the summer at our local library. It has lots of helpful advice and information to get you started. It really helped ease my mind as well as joining helpful homeschooling groups online like this one

                        Tajuana,

                        Mom of C.J. - 7.5 yrs. old
                        Wife of Cleveland

                        Don�t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God�s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Rom. 12:2 (NLT)

                        1st off find out what your state requires to
                        home-school because it may take as much as a month to
                        get your home-school accepted by the state (meaning
                        you have fulfilled their requirements)

                        next buy this book.

                        http://www.writerspost.com/hs4free/

                        --- civilclerk1 <civilclerk1@...> wrote:

                        > Hi All:
                        >
                        > I am wanting to start homeschooling my 16 year old
                        > daughter. I need
                        > help on where to find used curriculum that I can
                        > buy. I also need help
                        > on where to buy a placement test or have her tested.
                        > I checked into a
                        > few programs for curriculum and WHEW! the costs were
                        > crazy! I am a
                        > single mother that wants to take control of her
                        > education due to a
                        > public school where teachers throw water bottles at
                        > students and when
                        > they tell the principal, the teacher calls them a
                        > "nark" from that day
                        > forward. I need help asap. I don't want to pull
                        > her out until I get
                        > something lined up but everyday she cries. She has
                        > an anxiety disorder
                        > that doesn't help matters.

                        http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html

                        This list supplements the books "Homeschool Your Child For Free" <http://www.hsfree.com> and "Homeschooling Step by Step" <http://www.homeschoolsteps.com>.
                        Post message: mailto:0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com
                        Moderator: LauraMaery Gold <http://www.hsfree.com>
                        All forwards from this list must contain this footer: Subscribe at <http://www.hsfree.com>.
                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • nlbr29kids
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                          I have never posted to this group before but I subscribed a while
                          back and for some reason I get a lot of emails all at once.
                          Anyway, I have a 16yr old daughter as well (she'll be 17 in a few
                          weeks). I pulled her out a year ago for some of the same reasons. I
                          agree that the book "Homeschooling your child for free" is a great
                          resource and there are so many sites on the internet that can be
                          helpful too. You can look at the library as well for books that
                          relate to a topic that she is learning or wanting to learn about. Or
                          if you have a school supply store in your area you may be able to
                          find some things there as well. I have only bought a few things for
                          one of those but the rest I look up on the internet or get books
                          from the library and make my own lesson plans just by skimming
                          through and finding the important stuff. Math and Chemistry will be
                          a little difficult depending on your daughters ability in those
                          areas but believe me there is hundreds if not thousands of things
                          out there that can help. Also try the CD ROM set called High School
                          Advantage 2007 or 08 that helps too if she likes being on the
                          computer.

                          Hope that helps
                          Naomi

                          --- In 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com, TAMMY DAVENPORT
                          <rtdav3@...> wrote:

                          > I've found the internet to be a great resource- there's a book out
                          called homeschooling your child for free- i use it alot in making my
                          curriculums.

                          > Have a good day,
                          > Tammie

                        • Dawn
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                            Sounds like a lovely school (insert sarcasm emote).

                            I used to use curriculum-in-a-box, but it didn't work out too well for us.
                            Right now, I use Old Fashioned Education, http://oldfashionededucation.com/
                            and it is 100 percent free. it uses vintage books and you would either need
                            to find them in the library or print them up yourself.

                            I also use Accelerated Achievement, http://www.accelerated-achievement.com/.
                            The concept is similar and even some of the books are the same, but this
                            includes a math book with a math worksheet generator. K-12 for 99.00. You
                            would need to add upper level maths and upper level science (k-8 has a
                            science scope & sequence).

                            I also like unit studies and lap booking.

                            Welcome to homeschooling :)

                            You can always read my latest work on my Spoiled Ink Writer Profile
                            http://www.editred.com/fuyukodomo

                            Homeschool books I have for sale
                            http://www.blujay.com/fuyuko

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                              Well hope you get things under control. Where do you live? What
                              state? If in N.C. e-mail me at Rebelmom1968@...... If you
                              live in N.C. I might can help if you want me too... Shelby

                              --- In 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com, Jessup Randall

                              ______________
                              > Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a reality with
                              Yahoo! Autos.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                                [[1st off find out what your state requires to
                                home-school because it may take as much as a month to
                                get your home-school accepted by the state (meaning
                                you have fulfilled their requirements) ]]

                                My god, what state do you live in?

                                Even in Pennsylvania, supposedly the second worst in the country, you can
                                get your paperwork in and pull your child out the next day.
                              • i_teach_4
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 26, 2007
                                  <civilclerk1@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi All:
                                  >
                                  > I am wanting to start homeschooling my 16 year old daughter. I
                                  need
                                  > help on where to find used curriculum that I can buy. I also need
                                  help
                                  > on where to buy a placement test or have her tested. I checked
                                  into a
                                  > few programs for curriculum and WHEW! the costs were crazy! I am
                                  > single mother that wants to take control of her education due to a
                                  > public school where teachers throw water bottles at students and
                                  when
                                  > they tell the principal, the teacher calls them a "nark" from that
                                  day
                                  > forward. I need help asap. I don't want to pull her out until I
                                  get
                                  > something lined up but everyday she cries. She has an anxiety
                                  disorder
                                  > that doesn't help matters.
                                  >
                                  > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                                  I am so sorry for the horrible experience that your daughter is
                                  having. The best advice that I can give you is to contact
                                  Homeschool Legal Defense. Granted there is not much that they can
                                  do for you immediately because you are not homeschooling and you are
                                  not a member, but they can guide you along the right path as to what
                                  to do first, and so on if you tell them your situation and what you
                                  want to do. I am thinking that maybe you need to get your
                                  daughter's credits, etc.

                                  After talking to HSLD and getting everything in order, I would spend
                                  a girls day out if you can. It doesn't need to be expensive at
                                  all. My girls and I give eachother manicures and pedicures and
                                  facials (they are 14 and 5) and we watch our favorite movie(s) and
                                  eat our favorite foods. This helps us to bond (it doesn't happen
                                  often, but I make sure that we do something together every once in a
                                  while).

                                  So far as curriculum goes, there are many sites available over the
                                  internet for placement, etc. It really depends on what you want to
                                  do. Also check the internet to see when the next homeschool
                                  convention is; what homeschool groups are in your area; and where
                                  you might find some used curriculum. Usually in the summer there
                                  are used curriculum sales going on several weeks before the main
                                  homeschool convention and curriculum sale. (Typing in key words
                                  should give you quite a few hits)

                                  The advantage of a homeschool group is that it gives you a terrific
                                  support base. The advantage of going to a homeschool convention is
                                  that it gives you a good idea of what is available in one place, not
                                  to mention all of the terrific speakers. I have found some of my
                                  best stuff at the used curriculum sales.

                                  Don't despair! God is good to those who willingly obey Him. I am a
                                  single mother of four ages 5 to 17, and I am homeschooling all of
                                  them. This is the most frustrating, rewarding, growing, and
                                  stretching experience that you will ever have as a mom - and you
                                  will never want to trade it for anything in the world. Our children
                                  are our most precious gifts and need to be treated as such. They
                                  make us better - we just have to pay attention!

                                  There are two books that you might want to check out. One is
                                  Homeschooling On A Shoestring, and the other is Homeschool Your
                                  Child For Free. There are a ton of other homeschool help books out
                                  there, so don't be afraid to jump in with both feet.

                                  I hope that I have helped at least a little.

                                  Happy Homeschooling,
                                • kristinlauri
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 27, 2007

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 27, 2007
                                      Be prepared for a "de-schooling" time. Kind of like de - programming from brain
                                      washing.

                                      At 16 she should have a lot to say about she would like her learning to be like.

                                      The Teenage liberation handbook by Llewelyn was a help to us (3 teens at home) as well as
                                      Sense of Self? (stories from homeschool teens) Bother were available through our state
                                      library's Family Resource Center (NH)

                                      Remember you have to live & love each other at the end of everyday. Talk about
                                      boundaries, who needs what & what they look like -- Traditional school hours, bedtimes,
                                      social time, school calendar....

                                      One moment at a time. These moments are a treasure for you both.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 27, 2007
                                        Rebecca Rupp's Homeschooling Year - by -Year is one purchase I haven't resold - always
                                        answers my questions and helps fill gaps.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 27, 2007
                                          Is there anything that feeds your daughter where she's at right now -- something she
                                          escapes to ? that's healthy? - Fantasy Literature, British Literature, a Hobby, Music
                                          Instrument... Use that as your spring board for the transition time for both of you.

                                          wrote:

                                          > I've found the internet to be a great resource- there's a book out called homeschooling
                                          your child for free- i use it alot in making my curriculums.

                                          > Have a good day,
                                          > Tammie

                                        • Momma
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 27, 2007
                                            --- In 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com, "nlbr29kids" <nlbr32@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > I have never posted to this group before but I subscribed a while
                                            > back and for some reason I get a lot of emails all at once.

                                            Okay, I know you are not criticizing or anything....but I still want
                                            to try to explain.
                                            The messages all seem to come at once because each message has to be
                                            approved by a moderator before it will be sent to the group,
                                            And I am currently the only moderator doing the work, and I am new at
                                            it, and I am a homeschooling single mom......etc!!! :o)
                                            I just started being a moderator a few days ago, and I only have time
                                            to approve messages once or twice a day.
                                            I wish I could change the group settings, so the messages didn't all
                                            need to be approved, but I can't.
                                            But at least this way the messages are coming to the group more than
                                            twice a month like it was before I was made a moderator.

                                            I like the sharing of info we do here, and when the messages only
                                            came every couple of weeks I complained to the group owner.....and
                                            this (making me a moderator) was her payback to me for whining!! LOL.
                                            Just kidding, but she did ask me to help.

                                            Cheri
                                          • Naomi Brower
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 28, 2007
                                              Actually it has been a lot better the past week!!:) I wasn't complaining though, I just forgot I had subscribed... But there is a lot of good information here and I am thankful for it. You are doing great, I have been getting messages for the past 3-4 days now.

                                              Naomi

                                              To: 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.comFrom: momma.home@...: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:57:21 +0000Subject: [hs reviews] Re: Trying to get started HELP!

                                              --- In 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com, "nlbr29kids" <nlbr32@...> wrote:>> I have never posted to this group before but I subscribed a while > back and for some reason I get a lot of emails all at once. > Okay, I know you are not criticizing or anything....but I still want to try to explain.The messages all seem to come at once because each message has to be approved by a moderator before it will be sent to the group, And I am currently the only moderator doing the work, and I am new at it, and I am a homeschooling single mom......etc!!! :o)I just started being a moderator a few days ago, and I only have time to approve messages once or twice a day.I wish I could change the group settings, so the messages didn't all need to be approved, but I can't.But at least this way the messages are coming to the group more than twice a month like it was before I was made a moderator.I like the sharing of info we do here, and when the messages only came every couple of weeks I complained to the group owner.....and this (making me a moderator) was her payback to me for whining!! LOL.Just kidding, but she did ask me to help.Cheri

                                            • cafomommy
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 1, 2007
                                                --- In 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com, "kristinlauri"
                                                <kristinlauri@...> wrote:
                                                >I AGREE WITH DE-SCHOOLING. FACED THE SAME WITH MY 2 OLDEST. IN 6TH
                                                GRADE-WHEN REMOVED-OUR DAUGHTER WAS ON A 3rd GRADE READING LEVEL.
                                                WITHIN A YEAR HOMESCHOOLING SHE WAS RIGHT BACK ON TRACK. I JUST TOOK
                                                HER TO THE LIBRARY AND SHE READ BOOKS SHE CHOSE.IF THE INTEREST IS
                                                NOT THERE SHE DRAGGED, BUT SOMETHING SHE FEELS
                                                IS "INTERESTING"(WW2,SMALL ANIMAL CARE) YOU CAN'T MAKE HER STOP
                                                WORKING!
                                                HOPE IT HELPS!

                                              • anna jacobsen