Re: [hs reviews] Off Topic Question

  • markandkathy JCCA
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 6, 2000
      Judi, I am sending you a post that I have already
      posted in case you missed it, it helps me to deal with
      others (the "In a Child's Eye's" Poem), for example, I
      let my father read it and he was amazed at things he
      just never had thought about before which the poem
      stated. Believe in yourself, Judi, it is too hard to
      please all when you should be concentrating on your
      children, I learned this the hard way myself. :) And
      it is so very possible to teach using the internet and
      the library -- our local library has a "dungeon" that
      they keep discarded books and for just $3.00 a bag we
      purchase TONS of books throughout the year and have
      used them for our teachings. We go to garage sales,
      thrift stores and more. McGraw-Hill has a wonderful
      inexpensive line of basic books. When you eclectic
      and unschool, you can use whatever you have around
      you, especially the world itself! Good luck!
      Kathryn
      COPY OF PREVIOUS POST: Contrary to popular belief,
      you don�t need a four year degree in childhood
      education to teach the importance of rain, sunshine
      and happiness. Though many public school teachers that
      struggled to do so would be inclined to disagree.
      You just need to believe in yourself. You need to know
      that your children are going to thrive in your light.
      A public schooled vs. homeschooled child could be
      compared to that of a pumpkin seed planted in
      astyrofoam cup inside your home away from the sun.
      Yes, with the basics, water and some light it will
      grow. But it will reach out searching for more light,
      more room. It is confined to the little styrofoam cup
      that surrounds it. It doesn�t know that it can spread
      and grow. It only knows what it has. But, take that
      same pumpkin seed and plant it outside and watch it
      search out for the sunlight, reach for more and spread
      itself out until it blossoms and continues until it
      produces beautiful orange pumpkins. We give our
      children the basics in public schools and some are
      happy with that. Others want much more but are
      confined to what they have unless they are a part of
      the small percentage that have homeschooling parents �
      of which I refer to as parents that spend countless
      hours with their children teaching them even though
      they attend public school. They are to me are a form
      of �homeschooling parents�. Those children are lucky
      enough to have the option of growing taller, stronger
      and bloosoming. A small percentage find ways to get
      beyond that styrofoam cup by themselves. We are the
      percentage that offers to our children the sky, the
      sun and the stars, no boundaries to their learning. No
      feeling they are being left behind or are too far
      ahead. We do not impose one guideline for their age
      and teach from that. We allow them to learn at a
      comfortable pace, of which is often a pace far ahead
      from their peers. At times they may chose a slower
      pace in a subject that they have more difficulty in,
      but they never find disappointment, humiliation or
      failure in it, they find comfort and understanding.
      The seed becomes a vine, the vine produces a flower
      and the flower becomes a entity in itself.

      How can you doubt yourself when you give them the
      world instead of a styrofoam cup? Take a moment to
      think of the little things about homeschooling from a
      child's eyes:
      IN A CHILD�S EYES
      I can ask a question without feeling like doing so is
      much like admitting that I know nothing. I can use the
      bathroom without having to raise my hand, admit a
      bodily function to 30 people and then be told, "No,
      not until the bell rings". I can sit outside in my
      yard on a sunny, beautiful day and write an essay on
      the universe while studying it in front of me. I can
      read fast or I can read slow as long as I am
      comprehending and enjoying myself. I can say, "I'm
      having a bad day", and we take a break, go get some
      fresh air, grab an ice cream cone and play in the
      park, then do our environmentally sound activity of
      picking up the litter, then go home and start over
      again. If I suddenly feel ill, I can go up a few
      stairs to bed rather than throw up on my desk at
      school while waiting to be excused. I can see the
      pride in my parents eyes every time I learn something
      new, as they are sitting right next to me. I don�t
      have to take a many tests a week to prove what I know
      or emphasize what I don�t. I enjoy learning, I know
      how to research what I don�t know and find answers
      without having to ask, or if I do ask, we find the
      answers together. I can see the care in my parents
      eyes every time I say "I don't understand" as they
      know, I will. I am not required to sit still for any
      required amount of time. I can get up and do the
      Macarena if I feel like it and it is called showing my
      emotions, my personality - not having a need to be put
      on Ritalin. I can respectively not agree with my
      teacher and I won't get detention for having my own
      thoughts. If I draw a cow and it looks like a duck I
      am told I have a great imagination and will go places.
      If I want to eat popcorn and listen to Mozart while
      doing my spelling I can. I do not have to know
      exactly what 30 other kids know at the same time, in
      the same manner, at the same stages, I can grow in
      knowledge in my own way, my own time, my own stages.
      Though my parent's may have not had 4-6 years of
      college, if they don't know something I take great
      enjoyment watching them learn it with me because they
      are not afraid to say they "don't know" or pretend to
      know everything, or tell me to go outside and play,
      they are real people like me just older and bigger. I
      can read in the bathroom, in the car, on my lawn or
      standing on my head if I want. I don't have to wait
      to get picked last in basketball or shower in front of
      30 other kids. I can learn my fractions by helping
      dad bake a cake or helping mom with the tools as she
      replaces a bad water pump in our car. If myself or my
      parents get frustrated because our day isn't going
      well, we can just start fresh the next day as I�m
      probably not going to learn if I don�t want to and
      some days you just got to expect that! If I mess up,
      my parents find the good, like "You have great
      penmanship!" or we just go over it in a different way
      instead of the same way over and over. I don't get
      dumped on my head at recess by that bully and then get
      detention because I must of done something to provoke
      it. I don't get A's and F's I get "Great Job!!" or
      "You are the Best!!" and sometimes I might get a "Try
      Again"...and that�s ok because second chances are
      really nice. Best of all, I got the best teacher's in
      the world...my parents because they love me enough to
      teach me morals, values, kindness, love, happiness,
      success. They know my failing to understand something
      means to just keep trying to teach me, doing whatever
      it takes to help me understand. They realize that
      taking 1,500 pages of notes over the year does not
      mean I learned. They have been allowed to teach me
      since birth and have done a great job. They care
      enough to realize I am a person, though small, I have
      great needs and thoughts in my heart and soul and it
      is so easy to crush them - yet they know just how to
      build me up and make my world a wonderful place.

      Thank you for having an open mind to homeschooling and
      know that just as you, we only want what we feel is
      best for our families. To remove our choices is to
      know that our world is coming down to one person�s
      opinions or one political movement. That would be a
      shame and what a dull place it would be. You don�t
      have to be a homeschooling parent to realize it is our
      right to have choices and you don�t have to agree with
      our choice, just agree we should be allowed one. And
      before you compile an opinion on homeschooling,
      educate yourself so you can make a intelligent one.

      --- Judi <judi@...> wrote:
      > I am writing to you in hopes that someone can give
      > me some advice. I
      > have several problems and am at a loss as to what to
      > do.
      >
      > 1. I began homeschooling my two boys; ages 8 and 12
      > in November of last
      > year. I took them out of public school for several
      > reasons and deep in
      > my heart feel like I have done the right thing. My
      > problem is my mother!
      > She is very against homeschooling and tells me
      > everyday that my boys are
      > going back to public school in August. I have told
      > her that this is my
      > decision, but, she refuses to listen. Can someone
      > give me some ideas on
      > what I can do about this situation? I see her daily
      > (due to health
      > reasons), and listen to this everyday!!
      >
      > 2. Is it possible to homeschool your children only
      > from the library and
      > the internet? I have limited funds and cannot afford
      > new books for each
      > subject. As you can tell, I am still very new to
      > this, but am very eager
      > to make this work. I do not want to let my children
      > down and still have
      > those feelings that I may be doing so (this could be
      > because of problem
      > #1). I would deeply appreciate any advice/tips you
      > would be willing to
      > offer. You may email me privately at judi@... if
      > you wish.
      >
      > Thank you in advance,
      >
      > Judi

      =====
      Kathryn
      List Moderator, All About Homeschooling
      Check out our website at: www.geocities.com/allabouthomeschool
      A smile shared across miles........

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Jennifer V
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 7, 2000
        Judi <judi@...> asks
        > 2. Is it possible to homeschool your children only from the library and
        > the internet? I have limited funds and cannot afford new books for each
        > subject.

        There are so many resources on the Net alone that you can get for free. Type in lesson plans, curriculum, free curriculum, teachers resources etc... even break it down by subject and grade. You will have so much stuff you will be buried in it!!

        The core knowledge series also has a web site with lesson plans. I believe it is <http://www.coreknowledge.org> It is broken down by grade. Or type in core knowledge series in the search engine.

        The library also has all kinds of books for subjects. If they don't start requesting books you want they will order them or get from another library. I drove mine nuts until they started ordering more stuff for homeschoolers. as a matter of fact I am heading there this week with another list of books I would like to see on their selves. It takes time and you don't get all of them but they will order if they think others will use them too.

        Some school districts have a book give away. Call your schoolboard ask for the purchasing warehouse and ask if they have a book depository and/or book giveaway.

        Plus do not forget to type in worksheets in your search engine the amount of free worksheets on the net is unbelievable.
        <http://www.schoolexpress.com/fws/>
        <http://www.learningpage.com>
        <http://www.rhlschool.com>

        You can do it and for very cheap!! We do not have to be fancy; just thorough!!

        [--Jennifer V]
      • Dianna Kersey
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 7, 2000
          Michelle Howard wrote
          ><Try the
          >Baltimore Cirriculum Project <http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/BCPIntro2.htm> for
          >starters and see if you like that one. I liked the Core Knowledge aspect of
          >it, and the lesson plans are pretty well thought out for you.

          Is there anyway to get info on higher grades? This is a super program, but
          I need the 8th grade. Does this program offer higher learning levels?
          Where do you recommend to find them? Thank you

          [--Dianna Kersey]
        • Sylvia Terry
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 7, 2000
            WaitinfortheRapture wrote:
            > I understand where you are coming from!! My parents,
            > who live with us also due to medical reasons, told me,
            > my husband and all their friends that we should put
            > our children back in school so that THEY could have
            > time away from the children during the day. They told
            > me every day that my children would be better off in
            > ps. When I brought my son home, he was supposed to be
            > in 4th grade. They were holding him back in 3rd
            > grade. When we tested his actual abilities, he could
            > only read on a 1st grade level. That was two years
            > ago, and he is now on a 4th grade reading level and
            > growing by the day.

            Stick to your guns. We ran into another example, the other day, of a seven year old boy who has been in the local (Sandpoint, Idaho) schools for two years and cannot recognize any letters. He was passed on to second grade.

            Need we say more??

            Sylvia
          • maria cambell
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 7, 2000
              Judi <judi@...> wrote:
              >1. <snip> I took them out of public school for several reasons and deep in
              >my heart feel like I have done the right thing. My problem is my mother!
              >She is very against homeschooling <snip>

              >2. Is it possible to homeschool your children only from the library and
              >the internet? <snip>

              Hello,
              I had the same problem but with my mother-in-law she went so far as to
              tell me and my oldest child that I was too stupid to homeschool them. Then my
              husband's brother's boy got into trouble and they needed me to teach him to
              keep him from being sent off. That and the fact that I knew it was better
              for my kids. Not as much trash for them to pick up.

              As far as question #2 yes you can. You may also want to look at yard
              sales because alot of the books I use I have found there. We are not rich
              either and make alot of the stuff we use. Like a Math book can be used for
              years because alot of times all that you are doing is repeating the same
              things again. Spelling and Science and Social Studies you can do from home.
              S.S. is the current events and where better to get them then the news
              papers and the news on TV. Science if you can find a book the kids like on
              there choice of animals, stars, states, etc. ( last year we wrote to the
              state of our choice and recieved info. from the states) these addresses
              come from the libary.

              Just check into what they have to learn that year. Due to unseen things our
              girls had to go to school for a while last year and they were ahead of the
              other ones in there classes. So I know you can do it and not have to have
              lots of money.

              Hope this helps you some.

              As far as your mother I would just let it go in one ear and out the
              other after all they are your kids and second if you feel that is what the
              Lord is leading you to do then things will work out.
              Maria
            • Nancy J Rose
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 7, 2000
                Judi,
                I just want to encourage you to continue to homeschool your children,
                despite what your mother says. I've never had to face that kind of
                opposition myself, but rest assured, if I did face it, I would do just as
                I am going to recommend to you: 1) Tell your mother you love and respect
                her, if you wish, but that the education of your children is your
                responsibility, and this is the choice you have made.
                2) You appreciate her concern(?) for the children, but the decision is
                yours.
                3) Any concerns she shares with you will be heard, but that any decision
                that has to be made will be made by her parent, you!

                Judi, I don't know what the situation is with your mother, but I am
                concerned for you, seeing as she seems to feel a bit of control in the
                situation. I will be praying for you, and how to approach her in the
                matter. You could quite possibly homeschool your children by using only
                the internet and the library, because the possibilities and resources are
                limitless!! We have relied heavily on internet worksheets and info from
                the library. There is so much to absorb, you couldn't begin to buy all
                the things you have access to! Don't worry - if you felt that your boys
                needed to be homeschooled, then I know you have their best interests at
                heart. Let me know how things turn out for you!! You may e-mail me
                privately for any other suggestions or ways we've done our "schooling."

                In His Love,
                Nancy
                nannerbug@...
              • Judi
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 8, 2000
                  Hello Nancy....

                  Thank you so much for your email...you have helped to lift my spirits
                  immensely.

                  My mother is a "controlling" person...she has always tried to make my
                  decisions for me and my sister. Even though I am an adult now, she still
                  feels like she needs to do this. Very hard headed!!

                  I would really like to know how you do your "schooling". I haven't been
                  able to find something that really works for us as of yet. I've been
                  racking my brain trying to. I know there are so many different ways to
                  do homeschooling; but, I just haven't found "our way".

                  I have a hard time figuring out how to plan a unit study. Maybe "I" need
                  to go back to school?? :) I would like to do a study (for my
                  youngest) on animal habitats. Do you have any suggestions? My other
                  problem/fear is: am I teaching them what they need to know for their
                  age? Or am I still accustomed to doing things the public school way? I
                  have tried to do our "schooling" like a public school does (certain
                  subjects at certain times for a certain period of time), but, that
                  didn't work. So many questions!!

                  We live in a small town where resources are very limited. The biggest
                  city nearby is 75 miles away (one way!). I don't get there very often,
                  but, when I do, I could find anything I need. I just don't have the
                  income for it.

                  I am sorry for rambling like I have and I do appreciate any help you can
                  give.

                  God Bless,

                  Judi

                  [MODERATOR: and thanks to others whom Judi thanked personally...a reminder please to send personal thank you's directly to the person you're thanking. Generally, they will not be forwarded to the list, and it's very time-consuming for me to look up addresses and forward them on your behalf. -- lmg]
                • hiswoe1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8, 2000
                    Judi,
                    first of all, let me just encourage you-- you are not ALONE!!!! Most of
                    us have had some well meaning people trying to "instruct" them. Let me tell
                    you do what is in your heart! If the Lord has put this in your heart and you
                    really want it, don't let anyone stop you!! How?
                    Don't listen is probably the easiest! I t seems that you have to spend time
                    daily with your mom but, still -- turn on music, keep the subject on
                    something different, distract her with other things that she likes to do... I
                    know this is a lot of extra work for you but, it will keep your sanity.
                    Also, when she drifts back to the subject, firmly let her know that while
                    she is entitled to an opinion, you don't need to hear it over and over again.
                    You will do what you have always done-- WHAT YOU FEEL IS BEST FOR YOUR
                    CHILD!!! Don't even entertain her when she starts up again. Judi, she
                    reminds me of my grandma-- she was NEVER wrong, she always had something to
                    say about whatever anyone did, and, of course, had ALL of the answers!
                    I loved her dearly but, told her if she could not find something positive to
                    say, either I would leave or she could talk to herself about it. I refused to
                    participate. It worked after a while.
                    As for #2, YES. Go to the library and get the What Your ____ Grader Needs to
                    Know book for your child's age. These books are great. They have books,
                    poetry , etc. in the chapters and bibliography that you can get at the
                    library and save cash. Make copies of worksheets from the books you like,
                    invest $2 or $3 in a couple of workbooks by Brighter Child at KMart, and get
                    with a support group in your area. They will have a lending library and
                    other moms who can lend or give away books and resources when they finish
                    with them. Not to mention the help and support they will give.

                    GOD bless you! Shari
                  • MEEager@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 21, 2000
                      In a message dated 7/21/00 7:43:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, judi@...
                      writes:

                      << animal habitats >>
                      Hi I unschool or eclectic so Im not sure if this will help : There is a game
                      here on habitats. I use this sight alot. I like "game" learning. <A
                      HREF="http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/whatsnew.htm">The Magic School
                      Bus</A> I rent there videos from the library too. I bought a dish thinking I
                      could watch the show for free but found out my dish doesnt cary wb station.
                      :( Thank goodness for the library. Michele E
                    • MEEager@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 21, 2000
                        In a message dated 7/21/00 7:43:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
                        maria277@... writes:

                        << yard
                        sales >>
                        I have noticed this summer that yard sale books average 10c. Thats awsome
                        even compared to our great thrift stores here. Michele E
                      • Robert K. Eckles
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 21, 2000
                          Judi,
                          Concerning how to do a unit study - the simplest way I explain it to
                          new homeschoolers is the following:
                          1) Pick a subject (be careful not to pick a real broad subject unless
                          you want to do an over view.) Ex. animal habitats
                          2) Go to the Library and look up subject in the children section of
                          Library.
                          Fiction and non fiction
                          3) Get books that tell where to find the animal, how to track etc. Don't

                          forget to get books about the subject in the art
                          section.
                          4) Go into the woods, backyard etc and make plaster molds of animal
                          tracks.
                          5) Go to the Zoo or visit it on line
                          6) Make a model habitat of an animal. Use shoe boxes, paper,
                          construction paper etc.
                          7) Get videos from the Library on the subject.
                          8) Watch the Discovery channel or PBS station for info on subject

                          I think the hardest thing to remember is that all of life is learning.
                          Those of us who went to public school think we need to do paper work. Not
                          true. Reading and more reading, watching great movies, watching the
                          Discovery channel etc are all ways to learn. don't forget play is just as
                          important with it. I gave up on paper work awhile ago. I do document and
                          I do need to show for my daughters' work but most of the writing and
                          writing is done by my highschooler not my elementary daughter.
                          I can't remember the author but the book is called " How to Design a
                          Unit Study" I want to say it is by Cathy Duffy but I'm not sure.
                          I hope this helps and relax and enjoy learning.
                          In HIS Service,
                          Kim

                          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.