Re: Learning to Spell

  • Cherylchippy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2003
      LANGUAGE ARTS: ENGLISH STANDARD SPELLING
      Houghton Mifflin Spelling and Vocabulary
      <http://www.eduplace.com/rdg/hmsv>
      This integrated program for elementary and intermediate children has lots of activities and projects to teach spelling. ****

      Splashes from the River: Spelling Units Index
      <http://www.splashesfromtheriver.com/spelling>
      Well written collection of spelling units. Gives how to teach each unit for the week along with exercises and test tips. My son loves it and understands the lessons. *****

      --Cheryl (Maryland)
    • Marilyn Bruning
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2003
        RESOURCES: PRINTABLES
        edHelper
        <http://www.edhelper.com>
        I've found the EdHelper site very effective for many ages. It has spelling, vocabulary, cross-word puzzles and other helps and is arranged by age level. Other subject matter as well.

        --Marilyn
      • DAVID THORPE
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2003
          LANGUAGE ARTS: STANDARD SPELLING
          Spelling it Right
          <http://www.spelling.hemscott.net/index.html>
          great site with teaching advice and worksheets that are updated regularly to go with each lesson.

          [MOD: The author of this site is English, and uses "words that are British and spellings that are British" on the site. He does make an effort to avoid words that "might lead to confusion" for readers from the U.S., but there will be a few differences between some of his spellings and spellings standard in the States. A list of commonly-seen variances is provided on the site. --mdb]

          Garden of Praise: Bible Based Spelling Lessons
          <http://www.gardenofpraise.com/bbspel.htm>
          Bible based spelling lessons.

          [MOD: "These lessons are designed to help children learn to spell, as well as use proper capitalization and punctuation. The words in the 35 lessons are taken from the Bible paragraphs, and also include a list of over 300 high frequency spelling words, plus all the Dolch words and words from the second grade Johnny Can Spell list. The words are arranged in groups at the top of each lesson." The lessons contain pencil-and-paper exercises; other activities (coloring sheets, online audio stories, etc.) for each of them are indexed separately at the bottom of the homepage. From what I could see, this site is based in and uses spellings standard to the U.S. --mdb]

          --Jody