Math

  • SonAnnFar@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 7, 2002
      SCIENCE: MATHEMATICS
      AAA Math
      <http://www.aaamath.com/>
      Great math site. It reviews skill from K-8. It is interactive. The kids answer the questions as fast as they can. They can then try to beat their own time.

      [--SonAnnFar]
    • athterath@HotPOP.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 9, 2002
        SCIENCE: MATHEMATICS: APPLIED MATH
        Annenberg/CPB: Math in Daily Life
        <http://www.learner.org/exhibits/dailymath/index.html>
        "Join us as we explore how math can help us in our daily lives. In this exhibit, you'll look at the language of numbers through common situations, such as playing games or cooking. Put your decision-making skills to the test by deciding whether buying or leasing a new car is right for you, and predict how much money you can save for your retirement by using an interest calculator." These high-school-level interactive essays focus on math concepts rather than on calculation. ****

        AAA Math: Practical Math
        <http://www.aaamath.com/B/pra.htm>
        Lesson plans in "money and consumer math" (coins, change, adding and subtracting money, and consumer math--uses U.S. denominations) and measurement (the metric system, mass, length, volume, and temperature conversions) are indexed here. "These pages teach [concepts] covered in K8 math courses. Each page has an explanation, interactive practice and challenge games. . .." A half-dozen links to related websites are also provided, without annotation. ****

        Discovery School Lesson Plans: Everyday Math
        <http://school.discovery.com/lessonplans/programs/everydaymath/>
        "Students will do the following: 1. Discuss how to solve word problems involving time and money 2. Work as a class to solve word problems focusing on addition, subtraction, multiplication, and simple fractions 3. Work with a partner to make up their own word problems" Like all Discovery School lesson plans, this includes detailed instructions on the procedures used, a comprehensive materials list, and correlations to (U.S.) national standards, as well as tips on extending the lesson, recommended related reading, and a glossary of terms used in the lesson. ****

        Practical Money Skills for Life
        <http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/index.php>
        This Visa-sponsored site contains three dozen lesson plans, with teachers' guides, for young children (preschool-grade 2), children (grades 3-6), teens (grades 7-12), and college students (18 and up). PDF, Flash, and RealVideo resources are included. Separate indeces are given for parents, teachers, students, and consumers. The stated goal of the site is "[t]o help today's youths and consumers of all ages become financially savvy" ****

        "Living on Your Own: Let's Calculate the Cost!", from Thirteen Ed Online
        <http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/lessons/lifecost/index.html>
        "This lesson is a fun way to review basic math skills, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, finding averages, and working with percentages. More importantly, it shows how these skills are applied to real-life situations that are of particular interest to this age group. Grade Level: 7-8. . .Students will be able to: Apply basic math skills to real-life situations. Create an information table. Find averages. Multiply with percents. Use simple formulas (substituting values). Use critical thinking skills to make real-life decisions. Learn real-life survival skills." ****

        RESOURCES: EDUCATIONAL THEORY
        Dyscalculia.Org: Dyscalculia
        <http://www.dyscalculia.org/#Dyscalculia>
        This organization offers information on the nature of dyscalculia (math-related learning disability) and tips for teachers on how to adapt lesson plans for students exhibiting its symptoms. ***

        LD in Depth: Math Skills
        <http://www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/math_skills/math-skills.html>
        "Learning disabilities in the area of mathematics are explored here.. . .We've gathered informative articles and direction to the latest teaching research to provide understanding and assistance to both parents and educators." A dozen articles, half of them directly related to how to teach dyscalculic students, are indexed here. The site also sponsors a bulletin board "for teachers to exchange their ideas and experiences on this topic". ***

        --Misty
        <mailto:athterath@...>
      • hrands1
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 16, 2002
          SCIENCE: MATHEMATICS
          edHelper: Mathematics
          <http://www.edhelper.com/cat197.htm>
          Hi, try [this site]. They have everything!!!

          [MOD: This site offers lesson plans, "WebQuests", worksheet generators, word and critical thinking problems, exams, and "puzzles for standardized tests". Some of its content is free, the rest available only by subscription. You will need a Java-enabled browser to render some resources. Topics covered in mathematics include addition, algebra, applied math, arithmetic, calculator, calculators, calculus, discrete math, division, fractions, functions, games, geometry, graphing, measurement, money, numbers, operations, pre-calculus, probability, statistics, stories, and trigonometry. --mdb]

          --Rita
        • ML P-C
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 2, 2009
            Help, My first grade hates math worksheets. Anyone try Math u See? Opinion please?
            thanks!!

            [MOD: We invite your suggestions for free math resources for first graders. You may wish to send suggestions for commercial resources directly to ML. Thanks! --lmg]

            -- Marylou
            Virginia
          • Pounders Beach Rentals
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
              >We invite your suggestions for free math resources for first graders.

              Here are some things we do to help with math.
              1. We try to use real life situations. How many cans of vegetables did mom buy at the store? How many cans of soda come in a case? How many eggs or donuts in a dozen? If we use 3 eggs for breakfast, how many will we have left?

              2. We use money from our change drawer. If you have 10 pennies and I give you 7 more, how many do you have? If you have 2 nickels and I want to trade you 6 pennies for them, should you do it?

              3. We play games. Dominoes are great! With lower math, just have them match sides. As they get more advances, play war with the tiles. You need 2 players. Place all tiles face down on a table or the floor. Each of you draws a tile. Add the 2 sides. Whoever has the largest total gets both tiles. After all tiles are drawn, count to see who has the most. We also love dice. We have both 6 sided and 8 sided dice. We roll 2 dice and add them together. Whoever has the most gets a point. We play for a set number of rounds. You can also play both of these games with multiplication.

              Email me privately if you want my opinion on Math U See.
              cameronmd@...

              --Melanie
              Vacationing in Hawaii? Come and stay with us!
              Pounders Beach Rentals
              http://www.poundersbeachrentals.com
            • dnlcapen
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                > Help, My first grade hates math worksheets. Anyone try Math u See?

                My now 6th grader hates worksheets too. We've used MUS since 1st grade
                and love it. My kids UNDERSTAND math. Mr. Demme explains math in a
                way where the kids "get it." Couldn't recommend it more. HTH!

                --dnlcapen
              • Fresca Ongue
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                  >Help, My first grade hates math worksheets. Anyone try Math u See? >Opinion please?

                  You can try AL RightStart.
                  http://www.alabacus.com
                  It's good with my 1stgrader.

                  --Fresca Ongue
                • Shae Langlois
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                    >Help, My first grade hates math worksheets. Anyone try Math u See?

                    This is my third year using Math U See. We used it the first year as a supplement when my then second grader was struggling with math in public school. A friend recommended it. We now homeschool full time and math u see is our main math work. We love it. Both my boys are flying thru the work. They are both 2 grades ahead of what they are "supposed" to be. Also for a mom who is not strong in math at all, it is very easy to teach. The instructional DVD's really help me explain the concepts to the boys. I have never used any other math curriculum, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems to cover everything we need at this level.

                    Shae - Washington
                  • Shae
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                      > Help, My first grade hates math worksheets. Anyone try Math u See?

                      We have used Math U See for 3 years now. We started using it as extra
                      math help when my then second grader was struggling with math in public
                      school. My friend homeschooled and told us about this. We now
                      homeschool full time and still use it. Both my boys (10y/o & 8y/o)
                      love it. They fly thru the work. They are both well ahead of where
                      they are "supposed to be". Also as a mom who is not very strong in
                      math, it is very easy to teach and figure out. The DVD's that come
                      with each section are very east to understand. I have never used any
                      other math, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems to have
                      everything we need at this point.

                      Shae - Washington
                    • Wipson Family
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                        >Anyone try Math u See? Opinion please?

                        Tried it, didn't work for us.

                        What did.... especially to start out was "Mommy Math". We would play with M&M's, choc chips, or jelly beans and group them by color, sequence them, add and subtract (subtraction by eating was always a favorite), make patterns, shapes, you name it.... she loved it. Sometimes I would write a number problem on the white board and she would do the work with the treats and then write the answer. We also played alot of restaurant and store. We would make menus with prices or put stickers on the canned goods in the cabinets. I laminated 3x5 cards for the tickets and receipts or we would have gone through dozens of them a day. I would also write a few number problems on the white board. Somehow getting to do them standing up and with markers made it more fun. Also, try math start books (it's a series) from your library. They are usually fun stories and have ideas for activites in the back. Play your math. They have YEARS AHEAD for worksheets.

                        -- Christine
                      • Jill A. Sellers
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 7, 2009
                          >Help, My first grade hates math worksheets. Anyone try Math u See?

                          We use Math-U-See and love it! There is a DVD that you can watch with your
                          first grader and then work through some problems together. There is also
                          additional worksheets that you can download from the website that are nice.
                          Both my 2nd grader and Kindergartener LOVE it.

                          -- Dr. Jill A. Sellers, Pharm.D.
                          Sellers Communications
                          Springfield, MO 65809
                          sellerscomm@...
                          http://web.mac.com/sellerscomm
                        • sarah fletcher
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 8, 2009
                            > Help, My first grade hates math worksheets. Anyone try Math u See?

                            Maybe you should try some math games on the computer. My daughter has a few cd roms with different math games on them. One is transitional math, Reader Rabbit personalized math, 1st-3rd grade, and Jump Start 2nd grade math. All of these have other grades that you can purchase as well. I also think some of them you can keep track of there progress and print out a progress sheet if you need to. I had someone tell me that homeschool is better and funner than the mainstream so why not have a little fun with math? Hope this helps you.

                            --sarah
                          • Marci Peterson
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 8, 2009
                              >Math-U-See opinions?

                              We just started using Math U See this year for my daughters who are 6 and 7.  We love it!!! They are understanding math better and so am I!!  Why didn't we learn math like this in public school?  May be I would have enjoyed it and not thought that I was dumb in math all these years.

                              Marci Peterson
                              Usborne Children's Book Consultant
                              www.Ubah.com/J2416

                            • Sarah Bull
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 9, 2009
                                >Math u See opinions?

                                We have been using Math u See for the last 5 years and love it. I have one in Pre Algebra, one in Gamma and one in Primer. Steve Demme does a most excellent job with this program. My children really understand the whys behind the math and are excelling in math.
                                --Sarah
                              • Oom Yaaqub
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 11, 2009
                                  >MathUSee opinions?

                                  MathUSee has worked for my kids (both HFA) when nothing else would. It enables kids to visualize math, which is the only way some people can do it. This has nothing to do with IQ, BTW. Some of the smartest people who ever lived have been visual thinkers, like Leonardo. Although I have to say that I am not a visual thinker, but I wish I had learned math this way, too. It just makes so much sense! It doesn't just teach "how to do it" but WHY. The only thing is, don't use it mechanically. The creator, Steve Demmes, says a "lesson" can take 20 minutes or it can take a month, so you should just let it take as long as it takes. If you ignore that advice and insist on doing X number of pages a day, say, you will hate it and so will your kids. You kind of have to go with the flow when using this program, so if you're too much into planning, it won't work.

                                  --Oom Yaaqub
                                • Helen Williamson
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 16, 2009
                                    >MathUSee opinions?

                                    We were using Saxon Math and my daughter hated the repetition. We are using Math U See now for 3 years and she loves the math. The way they learn how to do some of the math (I am amazed of some of the ways you can do math easy) has made my daughter really enjoy doing math.

                                    Helen Williamson
                                    Microsoft Master Instructor
                                    IC3 Certified Instructor
                                    helen@...