Yes, still holding

  • LauraMaery (Gold) Post
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2001
      Hi, folks...Yes, still holding, and no, there's nothing wrong with your
      mail. <smile>

      I've been involved in a war effort these past few weeks that has taken all
      my time and energy. It seems a company tried to purchase the house next
      door to my parents on the QT so that it could transfer a group of juvenile
      offenders (including pedophiles, arsonists, rapists ... and other fine,
      upstanding citizens) from its current facility to my parents' quiet,
      heavily wooded, residential neighborhood. I've been writing petitions and
      hounding legislators and writing articles so that we could stop 'em...but
      as you have seen, I haven't done much else in the mean time...Good news:
      Looks like it worked. They're rescinding the purchase and taking their
      little shop of criminals to ... well, I hope someplace other than a
      neighborhood near you.

      Thanks for your patience in the mean time...For those of you on hsqa: I'll
      try to get the database onto its new home by Tuesday so you can tell me
      your preferences and we can get this ship back out onto the water. And
      thank you, all!

      --lauramaery

      ---------
      WHAT DO WE DO? We homeschool! Here's how: "Homeschool Your Child for Free."
      <http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/isbn=0761525130/ref=nosim/thelibrarofauthoA/>
      Order your copy today, from Amazon.com.
      ---------

      .
    • Sunkitty
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2001
        Hi --

        I am looking for suggestions on books, movies, videos, TV shows (PBS
        and other), web-pages, games and field trips, for CA history.
        We are looking at several of the following: Native, Women, Mexican,
        Black, Exploration, Settlements, Missions, Mexican-American War, Asian,
        Statehood & Symbols. Touching on Government, Clothing, Housing, Food,
        Social Status, Music, Coustoms, etc... (Some may not be covered and
        others not listed may be) I'm trying to put loose plans together.
        Exspecially for field trips places... We are Oakland CA, and willing
        to do a few trips that require overnight stays.

        Also my son (2nd grade/7years) doesn't write yet so I am trying to put
        together a set of resonable web-pages, videos, TV Shows, CDRom
        Programs, Music that he can use as learning tools. One of my partners
        won't accept leaving him be, so I have agreed to show 3 hours of
        lessons 3 days a week. But I see no reason to have then including hand
        writing unless he wants it to, but I need to show all the basic topics.
        He does type and I have started teaching him how to use the word
        processor.

        He learns best by doing, creating, moving. Sitting still is about
        useless except at the computer were I have watched him sit/stand for
        upwards of 4 hours (was trying to see how long it would take until he
        left on his own I gave up). His likes are pokiemon, animals and their
        homes, science and more science, Midevil Castles/knights, anything to
        drive his sisters to distraction. In math he is doing the Maquan and
        loves it along with other hands on math. He went from pre-reading to
        RL3 books with about 80% retention in the last year. He just doesn't
        form letters to write yet.

        Thank you,
        Sunkitty