Re: [hs reviews] Online free map puzzles

  • Vanessa Alexander
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2000
      This web site http://www.yourchildlearns.com
      was for sight reading and not geography. Unless your child is deaf, or you
      want to join the 20-50% of functionally illiterate Americans, I would
      recommend you use a good phonics program instead of the national failure of
      look-say, sight reading, whole language, whole word -- whatever you want to
      call it. The tip off was the phrase they're not using "drill and kill", and
      repeating a word at least eight times so kids get it.

      [MODERATOR: Appreciate your strong opinion, Vanessa...although I think the link Holly referenced for the map information is further down the page. Take a look at <http://www.yourchildlearns.com/owlmouse.htm>, to find quite a sizable collection of free educational software. I thank both of you for your contributions.]