SURVEY: How have you changed?

  • Timothy Haas
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2000
      Hello.

      I am new to the list, so I guess I'll introduce myself. My husband and I
      unschool our 8-year-old and almost-3-year-old sons. We are complete
      unschoolers, in that we don't "teach" anything, ever. My son learns from
      life, just as he has since birth. We are constantly amazed at how much he
      learns from living in the world day after day.

      We haven't changed at all, because this is how he has always learned best.

      Lillian Haas
    • Dumire,Joyce
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2000
        Laura,

        When I started homeschooling, my son was in the 9th grade. I took it very seriously. We had sit down, study for specific amounts of time and he had to get the workbooks or units done on time. That was the first year. Now I mix and match. We might do one subject all day or all week. We incorporate other activities into the learning. We are more flexible. (I am more flexible might be more like it.) I use workbooks, study guides, internet, volunteer work, anything as an opportunity to learn. When we started, all subjects were from one source only and we followed the courses very closely.

        I had to learn to unschool myself before we could really begin to learn and enjoy homeschooling.

        Joyce
      • kmcritz
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 22, 2000
          I am only in my second year of homeschooling, so my method of change doesn't
          carry as much experience as others who have homeschooled longer. I will
          share mine anyway. I will say that I have made the Bible part just as
          important if not maybe more important than the reading, writing and math.
          What I mean by this is that we spend just as much time if not more on Bible,
          praying and memorizing as we do on phonics, writing, math and reading. My
          oldest is Kindergarten age. I am using a 1st grade curriculum with her but I
          am spreading out over two years. She will be done with this curriculum at
          the end of her 'first grade' year. I am not being as structured with time
          as I thought that I would be - I am a very structured, organized person but
          I am teaching myself to be more flexible with schooling times (I have a
          6yog, 4yob, 20 month old boy and #4 is due in July). Another method of
          change would then be more flexibility - allow for the fun to happen and time
          for other things. That is my small amount of homeschooling wisdom that i
          can offer!
          Melissa Critz
          wife of Christian, and mother to Kirstin 5(6 on Feb 28th), Caleb 4 years,
          Jacob 20 months, and #4 due in July

          [moderator: Thanks Melissa. A couple of follow-up questions: Where are you
          located, geographically? (And I'd really appreciate everyone appending
          their geographic location to their messages. You may be very generic if
          specificity makes you uncomfortable). Also, where is it you have gone when
          you've taken field trips? What has been successful for your family?]

          [And ps: Congratulations on number 4! My youngest is a July baby.]