Re: [hs reviews] math text?

  • Irene Gillooly
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 20, 2001
      >I would like to know if anyone has used Scott Foresman and can
      >give me an opinion.

      Can not tell the age of your kids from your letter, so do not know if this is pertinent to your question. I have used the old Scott Foresman Algebra 1 book with my son and found it very thorough. But, if I was going to do it again, I would start with Singapore from the very beginning or as early as I could. The books build on each other and by the time you get to Algebra, although the book is great, there are too many references which require previous experience with the Singapore system.

      Hope this is helpful.
      --Irene
    • Vikki
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 20, 2001
        FWIW, Sonlight no longer carries Scott Foresman and is now handling, Saxon, Singapore and Miquon.

        I used Sonlight this year, which recommends Saxon or Scott Foresman, but I used Miquon. I just didn't order math from them.

        --Jill
      • Vikki
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 20, 2001
          >It is my understanding that Scott Foresman is no longer making their
          >math curriculum.

          This was a misunderstanding between Sonlight and SF. You can still get SF math from Rainbow resource and from SF directly.

          --Vikki
        • Catherine
          Message 4 of 14 , May 1, 2001
            > references which require previous experience with the
            > Singapore system.

            What is the Singapore system?

            [MOD: Singapore Mathematics and Science
            <http://www.singaporemath.com> -- lmg]

            --Catherine
          • Catherine
            Message 5 of 14 , May 1, 2001
              > This was a misunderstanding between Sonlight and SF. You can
              > still get SF math from Rainbow resource and from SF directly.

              Does Scott Forsman have a web site from which you can get ordering, etc. information?

              --Catherine
            • BzyMomma26Ratz@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , May 3, 2001
                > I would start with Singapore from the very beginning or as early as
                > I could. The books build on each other and by the time you get to Algebra,
                > although the book is great, there are too many references which require
                > previous experience with the Singapore system.

                We also use Singapore Math (and Science) and the boys like this approach far better than any other we have ever taken (well, with the exception of the Math Express software which all of my kids love, even my 9 and 10yo enjoy it and are doing the Pre-Algebra section).

                --Tracy
                Wife to Gary since 10/22/85
                Unschooling Mom to 6 kiddos (4 by birth and 2 by heart):
              • Tim McCabe
                Message 7 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                  >math text?

                  You might want to check out Soft Basics Math <http://www.vgernet.net/sbasics>. It's inexpensive, only $3.98 for shipping and handling. It's software you download it covers alot of stuff from simple addition to challenging word problems. I got it for my kiddies and they love it. Also, for $6.00 more on the same disc there's language and spelling.

                  One of my daughters has a hard time with remembering order of opperations and spelling rules so this gives her the ability to do drills herself.

                  Also, it was developed by a teacher who seems really nice and helpful.

                  --W. McCabe
                • Vikki
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 7, 2001
                    >Does Scott Forsman have a web site from which you can get ordering,
                    >etc. information?

                    Catherine, Here's the link. http://www.scottforesman.com/ The exploring your
                    world series is in their catalog. You can either call them and tell them
                    what you need or order their catalog and order that way.

                    HTH,
                    --Vikki
                  • Sherrie St. Cyr
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 11, 2001
                      >We also use Singapore Math (and Science) and the boys like this approach far

                      I have never seen Singapore Science. Could you provide a source for it, please?

                      [MOD: Same resource. Singapore Mathematics and Science Curricula <http://www.singaporemath.com> -- lmg]

                      --Sherrie