Earthquake resources?

  • lauramaery@writerspost.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2001
      We're a little shaken up here...I'd estimate 45 seconds of shaking.
      The kids will remember this day!

      Tomorrow's lesson: Earthquakes. (Homeschooling's versatility is
      terrific, i'n't it?)

      Recommendations?

      --lmg, south of Seattle
    • Marji
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2001
        >earthquake resources?

        From Gloria: "This morning's earthquake has led us to do some research on earthquakes, and why they happen. Here's a link we found especially good for kids, (elementary-thru high school).

        Earthquakes
        <http://www.cln.org/themes/earthquakes.html>"

        Courage!
        --Marji
      • reagg10@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 28, 2001
          Hi all,

          My thoughts are with each of you in the Pacific Northwest. Hope everyone has gotten their heart-rate back to normal!

          By the way--- I learned today that we no longer use the richter scale. The company went out of business! lol Although I forgot what they said we are now using. hmmmm.... It's comparable anyway.

          Here are a few links I have, I'm sure you will find multiple links from these few...

          Faults
          <http://www.usgs.gov/education/learnweb/EarthS.html>
          Faults: A model of three faults Grades 7-12 Lesson Plan meant for 'classroom' but I'm sure it can be adapted.

          Federal Emergency Management Agency
          <http://www.fema.gov/library/quakef.htm>
          FEMA Backgrounder: Earthquakes - Grades 4-8 offers information relating to earthquake safety. Suggestions geared to people living in earthquake-prone areas.

          Extreme Science
          <http://www.extremescience.com>
          Just what it says! All kinds of extreme science - click on earth
          science link for lessons about earthquakes.

          --gina
        • Mariann Olsen
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
            >earthquake resources?

            Hello -- Hope all is well after the quake!!

            Here are a couple of sites we like and use for earthquake research.

            US Geological Survey
            <http://earthquake.usgs.gov>

            Savage Earth
            <http://www.wnet.org/savageearth>

            GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!

            --M. Olsen
          • barbhas3@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
              >earthquake resources?

              A core knowledge unit study for 8th graders:
              <http://www.coreknowledge.org/CKproto2/resrcs/lessons/899Shake.pdf>

              Unit study/worksheets for ages 7 - 10
              <http://www.freeworksheets.com/fws/listfiles.asp?cat=Science&sub_cat1=volearth&sub_cat2=volearth7>

              Internet field trip with links to many sites about earthquakes:
              <http://teacher.scholastic.com/fieldtrp/science/shakerat.htm>

              --Barb in Hampton, VA (lived north of Seattle for 7 years and has many
              relatives on Whidbey Island)
            • Debmom2all12@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
                Hi there Seattle,
                We also rocked and rolled up here in Everson. Here is a great teaching resource from FEMA called "Seismic Sleuths". It is a huge book with helps delivered free of charge. Just call up the FEMA site

                Federal Emergency Management Agency
                <http://www.fema.gov>
                or call 1-800-480-2520.

                Good luck,
                --Debbie
              • Simon Simply
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2001
                  My sister's family lives near Seattle....of course they felt the earthquake. I was checking the internet for more information about the quake, since the phonelines were down in her area.

                  Someone pointed me to this site:

                  American Rescue Team
                  <http://www.amerrescue.org/arti_survivalarticle.htm?page=Page1>
                  After reading the information at this site, I do believe that those who "duck and cover" are dead ducks. I'm surprised that we don't hear more about the guy in this article. I'm appalled that schools continue to teach the duck and cover
                  technique.....check with the expert!

                  [--Simon Simply]