Re: [hs reviews] Speech Therapy

  • shirah r
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
      >The local ps school here has a professional evaluate the children but a
      >teachers assistant does the therapy in group settings (A teachers
      >assistant at this school needs only a GED to get hired).

      YIKES! I dont think i would have even attempted to put my son there. Our health insurance would pay for a therapist, but I'd have to pay $25 a visit, and he was going 3 times a week to start. Early intervention here put him in with a licensed speech therapist. She was great too. She worked one on one, and with group (if you call 2 kids in a class a group). We did one group class a week and 2 individual classes the first year.

      They did do a very thorough evaluation before they started. They said he didnt listen correctly to the sounds, so they had to teach him to hear the difference before they could teach him to make the sounds.

      Hopefully this will be our last year in speech therapy. He's 5 now, and going only once a week. So, it took them a year before he was speaking audibly
      (for mom but not for strangers), and the other 2 years have been for cleaning sounds up. Since he doesn't learn new sounds on his own, he is still going, but boy i cant wait until i dont have to take him :)

      [--shirah r]
    • Dorinda Oakes
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2001
        > I am a registered, licensed occupational therapist, and often work very
        > closely with speech therapists. I also have a daughter who has a mild
        > auditory processing disorder, and a mild head injury from a motor vehicle
        > accident. She went through two years of both occupational therapy and speech
        > therapy.

        Lynne,

        I am diagnosed with Fine Motor problems and all three of my children have Fine Motor Delay (one with professional diagnosis but the other kids have same symptoms but we are trying to avoid lables). What activities can we do to help improve there problems? None of them will do things that get their hands dirty or sticky, so fingerpainting and playdough are out unless it is inside of a plastic bag. They do use lego's (which I find difficult) but what else is there?

        --Dorinda