Re: [hs reviews] Need help!

  • LauraMaery (Gold) Post
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2000
      >My dd informed me this morning that she is not learning anything.
      >What can I do to make her feel like she is learning. (I thought about
      >giving her more and more work but I'm not sure that's the answer either.)

      My young'uns write at least eight lines each day in their journals. When we
      began the journal writing, they would write about what they did each day.
      It grew tiresome.

      Now they are required to write what they *learned* each day. Vastly more
      interesting, and proof for anyone who asks that my kids are actually making
      progress.

      --lauramaery
      ---------
      WHAT ARE WE WRITING NOW? Just out: The updated edition of JK Lasser's
      Invest Online. From investing basics to securities analysis, this book will
      make you -- well, if not rich, then smart! Order your copy today, from
      Amazon.com
      <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0471391115/thelibrarofauthoA/>
      ---------

      .
    • Carissa Bush
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2000
        Hi,
        Does anyone have suggestions for when I feel like my son isn't learning
        anything??? He learns it while we are doing it and even for some time after
        but 3 or 4 weeks later, you can ask him what are the vowels again or
        something like that and he looks at me like he hasn't the foggiest???? Today
        I feel like maybe I don't know what I am doing??? He is 7 and we chose to
        homeschool mainly because he was struggling so terribly in school and having
        so many behavior issues. He is doing much better behaviorly and is doing
        lots of work he is reading Dickins Christmas Carol right now but I just feel
        like I am failing.

        Thanks,
        Carissa
      • Suzanne Carlson
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 3, 2000
          > Does anyone have suggestions for when I feel like my son isn't learning
          > anything??? He learns it while we are doing it and even for some
          > time after but 3 or 4 weeks later, you can ask him what are the
          > vowels again or something like that and he looks at me like he
          > hasn't the foggiest????

          Dear Carissa,

          Talk to your family doctor about having his hearing and vision seriously evaluated. I have heard of two families just recently who were experiencing difficulties due to problems in these areas. Therapy is expensive but it doesn't take long and both of these moms wish they had known to look for help earlier. Apparently, it won't show up in your regular check ups. You have to explain to them the challenges you are facing and ask them to check into it. Lord willing, there is no problem. It's just nice to rule it out.

          That said, my boys took a while for the light to come on, and stay on. Just be consistant, patient, and take it easy on yourself and the boy. Read them great books and discuss them with them. Carry On, Mr. Bowditch was one of their favorites at that age. Just a chapter a day and a short chat afterwords, really sparked an interest in them. Also, don't be too quick to move them up in reading levels. Give him a chance to get really confident, before moving on. My second son still likes to read the level 1 books, because he can read them all the way through in 1 sitting. I involve all my children in reading programs because they enjoy working toward a goal and being rewarded when they reach it. I'm sure your local library has them periodically throughout the year, then there is Pizza Hut's Book It! If you can find an Usborne dealer, they may be willing to do a Reach For The Stars Program. When there are no programs available, I offer to buy them new books when they reach their goal.

          Well, I hope that helps a little. God bless you and yours!

          --Suzi Q from PA
          mom@...
        • Gladys S. Stefany
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2000
            >Does anyone have suggestions for when I feel like my son
            >isn't learning anything??? He learns it while we are doing
            >it and even for some time after but 3 or 4 weeks later, you
            >can ask him what are the vowels again or something like that
            >and he looks at me like he hasn't the foggiest????

            Carissa -

            I would recommend having an evaluation done for learning disabilities. My
            daughter has similar issues and has been diagnosed. From the diagnosis we
            have gained the information we need to know how to best approach her
            education.

            Gladys Stefany
            http://treefort.org/~tjk/fasjess.htm
          • AmyKCA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2000
              > Does anyone have suggestions for when I feel like my son isn't learning
              > anything??? He learns it while we are doing it and even for some time after
              > but 3 or 4 weeks later, you can ask him what are the vowels again or
              > something like that and he looks at me like he hasn't the foggiest????

              If I may, I would like to suggest a book called "Living With The Active Alert
              Child" by Linda S. Budd, PhD. I would suggest checking it out of the
              library, if possible, to determine if the book will help you or not.

              What you are describing sounds just like what I am going through with my 8 yo boy. My son is Active Alert, which brings many behavior/cooperation problems.
              Hang in there! You are doing more good than you realize! There are times
              when I feel my son is not listening, and he later suprises me by telling me
              what we were covering during that "non-listening" period. I have found that
              my son learns more if he can physcially do what he is learning. We have
              given up on worksheets/workbooks completely! I also have found that if he
              can physically move around while learning, he absorbs it better than if he
              made to sit still and listen. Feel free to email me privately if you would
              like to discuss the Active Alert issue more.

              There is also a discussion list for parents of Active Alert children, and you can subscribe by sending an email to ActiveAlertChildren-subscribe@egroups.com>

              Best wishes,
              Amy Aponte
              Florida
            • lbenton
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2000
                > Does anyone have suggestions for when I feel like my son isn't learning
                > anything??? He learns it while we are doing it and even for some time after
                > but 3 or 4 weeks later, you can ask him what are the vowels again or
                > something like that and he looks at me like he hasn't the foggiest????

                Carissa, How old is your child? I have heard it takes hearing something many times before we really learn it. Also, I grew up thinking I wasn't very smart because I learn visually not orally and most teaching is done orally. I got F's in high school but A's in college as soon as I figured out what the problem was.

                Children learn in many different ways. Try different things. Even songs are really good because the retention is greater. Studies have been done on learning retention and songs are number one.

                Good luck. And hang in there. You are always your child's best teacher, because as the parent, you have the power to receive inspiration and revelation on their behalf.

                Sincerely,
                --Laurie
              • Sharon F.
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 8, 2000
                  > > Does anyone have suggestions for when I feel like my son isn't learning
                  > > anything??? He learns it while we are doing it and even for some time after
                  > > but 3 or 4 weeks later, you can ask him what are the vowels again or
                  > > something like that and he looks at me like he hasn't the foggiest????

                  I have read in several different places a person on average has to write
                  something 38 times before it is relegated to easy recall memory.
                  Just stick to repetition it will finally come.

                  --Sharon
                • Carissa Bush
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 8, 2000
                    Thank you all for your suggestions. My son is 7 yrs old and is delayed with
                    fine and gross motor skills and with speech.

                    He has been tested for learning disabilities and so far besides having very little attention span, he doesn't appear to have any LD. He does have quite a few behavior issues, which is why we are homeschooling, he is learnign and he is progress so much more rapidly than when he was in school but sometimes does take a little extra time to "get it"..I think I am also havign a hard time not worrying that I am teaching exactly what they "should" be learning in school instead of trying to explore the many things he shows interest in and is excited
                    about learning. He does know what a verb, noun, adjective, subject,
                    predicate etc are, sometimes he confuses them but I think maybe I expect too
                    much right now. This is a big learning experience for me too. Again, thank
                    you.

                    --Carissa

                    > Does anyone have suggestions for when I feel like my son isn't learning
                    > anything??? He learns it while we are doing it and even for some time
                    after
                    > but 3 or 4 weeks later, you can ask him what are the vowels again or
                    > something like that and he looks at me like he hasn't the foggiest????

                    Carissa, How old is your child? I have heard it takes hearing something many
                    times before we really learn it. Also, I grew up thinking I wasn't very
                    smart because I learn visually not orally and most teaching is done orally.
                    I got F's in high school but A's in college as soon as I figured out what
                    the problem was.

                    Children learn in many different ways. Try different things. Even songs are
                    really good because the retention is greater. Studies have been done on
                    learning retention and songs are number one.

                    Good luck. And hang in there. You are always your child's best teacher,
                    because as the parent, you have the power to receive inspiration and
                    revelation on their behalf.

                    Sincerely,
                    --Laurie
                  • Catherine
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 8, 2000
                      > Even songs are really good because the retention is greater.
                      > Studies have been done on learning retention and songs are
                      > number one.

                      My Jr High Latin teacher had us learn some things with song. I still (30+
                      yr later) remember them!
                      Catherine
                    • Ann M Glass
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 9, 2000
                        > child has trouble retaining information

                        Hi Carissa,

                        I couldn't resist adding my two cents worth. My 6 yo son was just recently tested as I was concerned that he may have a ld. Turns out he doesn't, but the dr. wants to test him further for add. This is a kid who has very little attention span and a low frustration level. We were blessed to have a dr who believes in homeschooling, so I thought I'd pass on the dr's recommendation. So far, it seems to be working. He suggested that we have a fairly consistent daily schedule as my son seems to be more secure, confident and mellow when he knows what to expect next. Secondly, and this is the one I'm really wanting to pass on to you, is to set up "school" for 10 to 15 minute segments. Alternate those school times with either play, chore, computer, video, etc. I'm finding that my son is remembering more and cooperating more when I keep my teaching sessions short and he knows that he's not stuck doing something he's less than thrilled with for long periods of time. I use videos, etc. as a reward for his cooperation. Hope some of this helps.

                        --Annie
                        Washington
                        Preparing For Service Christian Academy
                        A mother's first ministry is to her children: "and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children" I Timothy 5:10. She does this by using:
                        "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking,
                        correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be
                        thoroughly equipped for every good work." II Timothy 3:16-17