Re: How to Save Bookmarks

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2000
      >My computer recently crashed and I lost ALL my Favorite places as well
      >as my references. I lost it all! I am wondering if there is a way to >transfer it all to a disk (so this can NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN...>sniff<).

      I don't know if you are using Internet Explorer or NetScape, but I'm going to assume from your use of the word "favorites" that you are using IE. Here's how to save them to a floppy for both browsers:

      Internet Explorer:
      Internet Explorer stores your files in your C:\windows directory (again I'm
      assuming you're using windows operating system) in a folder named "favorites" You could browse your Windows Explorer by right-clicking your Start button and then left clicking "Explore" and navigate to the folder labeled "Windows" and click the plus sign next to Windows and choose the folder labeled "Favorites."

      But the easiest way to do it is to make sure you have a clean disk in the drive first:
      1) click Start
      2) click Find
      3) click Files and folders
      A new window will open. In the field labeled "file name" type in favorites. Click Find in the results window. There will be a file named Favorites. Right click the file then left click "send to" and then "a". This will save your IE bookmarks to a disk and you're all done.

      Netscape:
      netscape calls its bookmarks "bookmarks" and they are usually stored under
      c:\program files\netscape\user\username\
      Again, do a find files and folders using the above method. Type in bookmark.htm as the file to look for and then click Find. Right click the file named bookmark.htm and choose "send to" then "a".

      I hope this helps.

      [--Lisa]
    • Sylvia Terry
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2000
        re: saving bookmarks

        I know of ways to save bookmarks to floppy disks; this looks like a good alternative.

        Now, what I want to know is how to save my addresses. I think I will soon have to reformat as my hard disk is filling up. There are a bunch of things on the hard drive that keep cropping up, things I know nothing about how they got there and that seem to have taken up permanent residence. Sooo if someone can tell me how to save my addresses and my ICQ contact list, I will take the plunge soon.

        --Sylvia