RE: [hs reviews] need election ideas

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2 7:03 PM
      >I don't normally thing of elections as crafty times!

      Nor do I....but this is 4H..and we always do a craft thingy with the kiddos....

      I have searched the internet!!!!

      Rob
    • Dale R. Reed
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6 3:13 PM
        > I am in need of some craft-type activities regarding the elections.

        Rob, the following are not "crafts" but they are on Subject.

        Opportunities for thinking and writing about politics/economics and possibly
        earning an award is included. Many favorite sites of mine have special
        sections for students. Dale
        ======================
        http://acton.org/programs/students/essay_req.html
        Programs for Students Lord Acton Essay Competition
        2000 Lord Acton Essay Competition requirements
        "Religion, Duty, Liberty"
        Deadline for entry is November 18, 2000 (postmarked on or before)
        Send submission to:
        The Acton Institute Essay Contest
        161 Ottawa NW, Suite 301
        Grand Rapids, MI 49503
        (Phone with questions: 800-345-2286 or e-mail programs@...)
        The quotation by Lord Acton on which to base the submission is:
        "No country can be free without religion. It creates and strengthens the
        notion of duty. If men are not kept straight by duty, they must be by fear.
        The more they are kept by fear, the less they are free. The greater the
        strength of duty, the greater the liberty."
        Awards: 1st $2,000; 2nd $1,000; 3rd $500

        Guidelines for submissions:
        Essays are to expound upon the themes captured in the above quotation and
        emphasize the positive role of religion in fostering and securing a society
        of free and responsible individuals.
        <snip>
        =======================
        http://www.aynrand.org/home.html
        Essay Contests and other info like debates. Find out about ARI's annual
        essay contests for both high school and college students. Top prize:
        $10,000.
        <snip>
        =====================
        http://www.fff.org/ Click on "Restricted Viewing" "For Students Only" I
        am 18 years or younger, I am a student, and I am not afraid to use my brain.
        Click here to proceed.
        ===========================
        http://www.fee.org/education/lessons.html
        Lesson Plans for Ideas on Liberty and The Freeman
        Each month the Foundation provides lesson plans to go along with several
        articles from our monthly magazine, Ideas on Liberty (formerly The Freeman.)
        We hope that teachers, homeschooling parents, and other educators will find
        this service useful. We expect these plans to change over time, as we learn
        how best to meet your needs.
        <snip>
        ---
        $ dale-reed@... Seattle, Washington USA $
      • Dorinda Oakes
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 10 3:09 PM
          >I am in need of some craft-type activities regarding the elections.

          Try corn husk caricatures of each of the candidates!

          [--Dorinda Oakes]
        • Taffy Duncan
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11 11:25 AM
            >I am in need of some craft-type activities regarding the elections.

            FREE ELECTION UNIT MATERIALS
            The Election Teaching Kit: "The teaching opportunities afforded by a presidential election come only once every few years, so you will want to take advantage of them!

            The Prentice Hall School Election Kit 2000--a free curriculum package of 16 student worksheets and interdisciplinary activities--helps you do just that.

            Topics covered include the Path to the Presidency, Analyzing a Presidential Debate, Analyzing Political Advertising, and the Electoral College. Most appropriate for middle school." To order, call 1-800-848-9500.

            [--Taffy Duncan]