Re: [HomeschoolFormsIdeas] reading list for 10th - 12th grade

  • Candace Christiansen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2000
      > Does anyone know where I might be able to find a reading list for
      10th to 12th graders?

      Dear Cindy,
      I have used the Sonlight curriculum guides very helpful for age-
      appropriate, quality books for my children. Also, check the
      Newberry Award lists and other nationally-recognized book award lists
      for suggestions. Hope this helps.

      Candace Christiansen
    • Ron and Laurene Wells
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2000
        >Does anyone know where I might be able to find a reading list for 10th to
        >12th graders?

        Try Sonlight <http://www.sonlight-curriculum.com> and browse their online catalog. They state in their catalog that they do not care if you buy their products (though obviously it is their business to do so) but that they want to help homeschoolers develop a curriculum that WORKS for them. They even have
        suggestions of books which you might find in the library, in order to help
        you save money. the SONLIGHT curriculum was developed by missionaries, for
        missionaries, so they are well aware of how expensive it can become to
        homeschool! Since they are a Literature based curriculum, you should be
        able to find several books that would interest your children. They are
        expanding their curriculum to include more high school level books, last
        year I think they went up to 10th grade. So I believe you will find a
        decent reading list there. Not all of their books are "Christian" books,
        many are found in mainstream (secular) bookstores, a few are not. Also,
        you'll find on their web site that the numerical assignments they give to
        the packages have been more customer demanded than their own views of
        imposing grade level onto students. Books in the level 10 section might be
        just as well interesting and useful to an 8th grade level student as to a
        12th grade level student. Literature is not exclusive to particular age
        groups, good literature should be interesting to ANYONE who reads it.

        Look at the Harry Potter books? They are written about an 11 year old boy
        (well, he gets older in each book... but anyway...) and there are 7 year
        olds to ADULTS who adore these books! I just turned 32 and *I* love these
        books! They have inspired me, and rekindled my imagination! Don't limit
        books to one grade level just because some one has put them into that
        category. There was a 2nd grade level book we read last year (Red Sails to
        Capri) that was EXCELLENT, and I've been trying to convince my husband to
        read it for nearly a year now. My friend has the book at the moment, but
        maybe my husband will read it when she brings it back.

        Anyway... I probably didn't need to babble on so much. And my children
        are wanting to do some magnet experiments, so I guess I should go do some
        science with them while they are interested...
        -Laurene

        COME SEE OUR WEB SITE!
        http://welcome.to/tinyzoo
        Toddler Reading page
        Gourmet treats,
        Private Chat Room
        Links, links, and more links!
        family pictures
        Homescool links
      • Michelle Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2000
          >Does anyone know where I might be able to find a reading list for 10th to
          >12th graders?

          I got this site from another list I'm on...I haven't checked it out yet, my
          oldest is just going into 6th grade.

          http://www.family.org/cforum/teachersmag/features/a0008359.html

          God Bless,

          Michelle in TX