10-137.1 ACTION ALERT: Call & Fax Gov. Pataki Today! Take Action!

  • schafer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2006
      August 4, 2006 A-CHAMP ACTION
      ALERT - NEW YORK Vol. 10 No. 137.1

      _____

      Autism Insurance Bill Goes to Gov. Pataki!

      Call & Fax Gov. Pataki Today! Take Action!

      <http://www.sarnet.org/img/a-chmp.jpg>

      Tell Gov. Pataki to Sign The Bill That Bars Health Insurance Discrimination
      Against Individuals With Autism

      End Health Insurance Discrimination For People With Autism In NY!

      Call & Fax Gov. Pataki!
      Tell The Governor to Sign the Bill That Ends Health Insurance Discrimination
      vs. Individuals With Autism

      Tell Gov. Pataki To Sign A. 699 & S. 784!

      Tell Gov. Pataki to Sign This Vital Legislation That Would End Health
      Insurance Discrimination Against Children People With Autism

      Final Push! Telephone & Fax the Governor Today and The Next Ten Days -
      August 4-14

      If you are reading this in an email message click on the Take Action! button
      in the upper right-hand corner of the email - if you are reading this on our
      web site follow the prompts

      A bill passed by the NYS Legislature prohibits insurance companies from
      denying medical care and therapy to our kids and others with Autism. Now, it
      sits on the Governor's desk awaiting his signature.

      We've all been there: Speech therapy denied, MRI's denied, EEGs denied, ABA
      denied, Gastro-intestinal treatment denied, and on and on, in a brutal
      litany of injustice.

      With the Governor's signature A 699/S 784 will end the injustice. Our
      legislators did the right thing by acting to stop discrimination against
      our kids. Now, you must act to tell Gov. Pataki that this bill must be
      signed!

      Act Now. Call Governor Pataki at 518-474-8390

      Fax Gov. Pataki at 518-474-1513

      EVERY ORGANIZATION WITH AN INTEREST IN SUPPORTING THIS BILL SHOULD TELL THE
      GOVERNOR BY FAX AND LETTER TO SIGN THIS BILL

      PARENTS NEED TO FAX, CALL and WRITE THE GOVERNOR.

      ORGANIZATIONS - please write a letter to the Governor urging him to sign
      Senate our bill and FAX it to the Governor at: 518-474-1513

      Individuals can fax, call or write. Gov. Pataki telephone: 518-474-8390

      The Governor's snailmail address is:
      Governor George E. Pataki
      State Capitol
      Albany, NY 12224

      Suggested Letter for Fax or Mail:

      ----

      Dear Governor Pataki:

      I urge you to sign A699/S784, the health insurance reform bill that will end
      discrimination against individuals with autism.

      I am a family member or know one of the tens of thousands of persons in New
      York who have been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. The CDC has
      reported that 1 in 175 children have been diagnosed with autism and many
      more have autistic spectrum disorder ("ASD").

      Recent experience has shown that autism is treatable, especially with
      appropriate early intervention. Health insurers routinely deny necessary
      medical care and therapy to New York citizens affected by autism spectrum
      disorders. A699 and S784 would end this discriminatory practice and allow
      people with autism to get the treatment they need to recover or improve
      their condition.

      This legislation prohibits insurers from excluding coverage for autism
      spectrum disorder solely because of the ASD diagnosis. The legislation will
      benefit individuals and their families by preventing the common practice of
      excluding ASD from insurance coverage and recognizing tat autism is a
      treatable neurobiological disorder that should be accorded parity with other
      disorders.

      For children with autism spectrum disorders, nothing is more effective than
      early diagnosis and intensive intervention. Aggressive early intervention
      gives individuals the best chance of living productive lives without
      burdening society with the enormous costs of long-term care. By excluding
      coverage for ASD the insurance industry has increased the costs associated
      with autism spectrum disorders and shifted the burden of paying those costs
      to the taxpayer - even when the affected individual is covered by private
      health insurance.

      Health insurers in New York State must end their discriminatory practices
      and accept their obligation to provide coverage for medically necessary
      services for individuals with autism spectrum disorders.

      Please sign this important legislation - A699/S784 will end health insurance
      discrimination against individuals with autism spectrum disorder and thereby
      help individuals with autism obtain the treatment and services that they
      desperately need.

      Respectfully,

      -----------------------

      FAX your letter to the Governor at: 518-474-1513
      Call the Governor at 518-474-8390 or Click Take Action Above to Get the
      Number and Talking Points

      <http://www.sarnet.org/img/a-chmp.jpg>

      Message Brought To You By A-CHAMP
      Advocates for Children's Health Affected by Mercury Poisoning

      See Our Action Alerts. Click the TAKE ACTION! button
      http://capwiz.com/a-champ/home/

      BE A-CHAMP FOR CHILDREN!
      For more information on insurance coverage and the text of the NYS Insurance
      bill go to:

      http://www.a-champ.org/insurance_coverage.html