10-122 NH Autistic Boy With Service Dog Turned Away From School

  • schafer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2006
      SAR "Healing Autism:
      Schafer Autism Report No Finer a Cause on the Planet"
      Wednesday, July 12, 2006 Vol. 10 No. 122

      CHECK OUT THE SAR CALENDAR of EVENTS
      DOZENS of EVENT NEW LISTINGS!

      http://www.sarnet.org/events

      EDUCATION
      * NH Autistic Boy With Service Dog Turned Away From School

      RESEARCH
      * Study Expands Knowledge About Autism
      * Study of the Relationship Between Tuberous Sclerosis Complex & ASD
      * Widely Circulated No Vaccine - Autism Link Study Riddled With
      Inaccuracies, Radical Conclusions, Says National Autism Association

      TREATMENT
      * Adderall XR Demonstrated Improved Productivity in the Classroom
      Throughout the Day

      PUBLIC HEALTH
      * WSJ: Writers of Major Antidepressant Study Paid By Drugmakers

      ADVOCACY
      * Statement From A-CHAMP Regarding The Combating Autism Act

      CARE
      * California Assembly Member Saves The Best For Last
      * Parents Sue After Child Assaulted by "Peer Tutor"
      * Autism: Seeing Through The Heart

      COMMENTARY
      * Toronto Star Editorial: Time to Deliver On Autism Promise

      EDUCATION

      NH Autistic Boy With Service Dog Turned Away From School

      By Andrea Bushee for the Telegraph http://tinyurl.com/mo83w

      Nashua- Cole Austin sat quietly on the sidewalk in front of his school
      Tuesday morning as the adults around him talked about whether he and his new
      service dog Zeke would be able to enter the building.
      The 5-year-old's face, shaded by his Red Sox baseball cap, showed no
      sign of emotion during the half hour it took school officials to decide that
      he and the dog had to leave.
      The autisitc boy's mother, Michelle Austin, was told Cole and Zeke
      could not attend the extended-year program at Dr. Crisp Elementary School
      because she refused to sign a contract saying the decision to allow the dog
      in school was only temporary.
      "They just told my son he can't have his education because he has a
      service dog," she said.
      But the boy and his dog will be able to attend school together as soon
      as today, since acting Superintendent Christopher Hottel said Tuesday
      afternoon that he's decided any student with a service animal will be let
      into school as long as all the parties involved meet and feel comfortable
      with the situation.
      Hottel said he could not discuss any specific case involving a
      student, but said the district is trying to accommodate students with
      service animals, as well as the other students.
      The board of education is considering a policy dealing with service
      animals in schools. Until the board approves the policy, Hottel said,
      signing a contract will not be required if all parties involved feel
      comfortable with a service animal in the classroom.
      Austin said Hottel had called her to say both Cole and Zeke would be
      allowed in school today.
      "I'm very relieved that he will be able to go to school tomorrow," she
      said late Tuesday afternoon. "It's been a very emotional day. I think we've
      turned a corner."
      + Read more: http://tinyurl.com/mo83w

      -- > DO SOMETHING ABOUT AUTISM NOW! < --

      SUBSCRIBE. . .
      . . .Read, then Forward the Schafer Autism Report.

      RESEARCH

      Study Expands Knowledge About Autism

      http://tinyurl.com/m4arq

      UPI - U.S. researchers say they believe they`ve identified why people
      suffering from autism think in pictures.
      The researchers in the National Institutes of Health-funded study
      found autism might involve a lack of connections and coordination in
      separate areas of the brain.
      In people with autism, brain areas performing complex analysis appear
      less likely to work together during problem-solving tasks than in
      non-afflicted people. The researchers found communications between those
      brain centers in autistics appear to be directly related to the thickness of
      the anatomical connections between them.
      In a separate study, the same research team found that, in people with
      autism, brain areas normally associated with visual tasks also appear to be
      active during language-related tasks, which might explain a bias toward
      visual thinking common in autism.
      \'The findings may one day provide the basis for improved treatments
      for autism that stimulate communication between brain areas,\' said Dr.
      Duane Alexander, director of NIH`s National Institute of Child Health and
      Human Development.
      The research was led by psychology Professor Marcel Just at Carnegie
      Mellon University and Dr. Nancy Minshew, professor of psychiatry and
      neurology at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

      Study of the Relationship Between Tuberous Sclerosis Complex & ASD

      http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/537232?src=mp

      From Journal of Child Neurology.
      Virginia Wong MBBS, FRCP (London, Edinburgh), FHKAM (Paed), FHKCPaed, FRCPCH

      Abstract
      There has been increasing awareness that there are behavioral
      phenotypes in tuberous sclerosis complex with neuropsychiatric symptom
      complex such as autistic disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity
      disorder (ADHD).
      However, the neurobiologic basis of autistic disorder in tuberous
      sclerosis complex is still unknown.
      We studied two cohorts of children followed up since 1986 until 2003,
      one cohort with tuberous sclerosis complex and another cohort with autistic
      disorder, to determine the incidence of autistic disorder in tuberous
      sclerosis complex and the incidence of tuberous sclerosis complex in
      autistic disorder respectively.
      We established a Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Registry in 1985 at the
      University of Hong Kong.
      In 2004, 44 index cases (the male to female ratio was 0.75:1) were
      registered.
      Three had a positive family history of tuberous sclerosis complex.
      Thus, the total number of tuberous sclerosis complex cases was 47.
      We adopted the diagnostic criteria of tuberous sclerosis complex for
      case ascertainment.
      The period prevalence rate of tuberous sclerosis complex for children
      and adolescents aged = 20 years is 3.5 per 10,000 (on Hong Kong island,
      excluding the eastern region with 125,100 aged = 20 years in 2003).
      Of 44 cases with tuberous sclerosis complex, 7 had autistic disorder.
      Thus, the incidence of autistic disorder in tuberous sclerosis complex
      is 16%.
      During the 17-year period (1986-2003), we collected a database of 753
      children (668 boys and 84 girls; male to female ratio 8:1) with autistic
      disorder and pervasive developmental disorders.
      For all children with autistic disorder or pervasive developmental
      disorders, we routinely examined for any features of tuberous sclerosis
      complex by looking for neurocutaneous markers such as depigmented spots,
      which appear in 50% of children with tuberous sclerosis complex by the age
      of 2 years.
      For those with infantile spasm or epilepsy, the clinical features of
      tuberous sclerosis complex were monitored regularly during follow-up.
      Of these, seven had tuberous sclerosis complex.
      Thus, the incidence of tuberous sclerosis complex in autistic disorder
      is 0.9%.
      All of these children are mentally retarded, with moderate to severe
      grades in an intellectual assessment conducted by a clinical psychologist.
      Future studies should be directed toward looking at the various
      behavioral phenotypes in tuberous sclerosis complex and defining these with
      standardized criteria to look for any real association with the underlying
      genetic mutation of TSC1 or TSC2 gene or even the site of tubers in the
      brain.

      Widely Circulated No Vaccine - Autism Link Study Riddled With Inaccuracies,
      Radical Conclusions, Says National Autism Association

      Drug-company proponent Dr. Eric Fombonne ignores scientific evidence, uses
      frivolous research to obtain desired findings

      Nixa, MO - Dr. Eric Fombonne's new Quebec study will soon be
      published in the July 2006 issue of Pediatrics. Fombonne, a thimerosal
      litigation expert witness on behalf of various pharmaceutical companies,
      will reportedly state that it is "very clear" there is no relationship
      between mercury-based thimerosal and the onset of autism.
      According to the research group SafeMinds, Fombonne's research is
      dangerously inaccurate:
      The study looked at 27,749 students in grades kindergarten through
      12th grade in a Montreal school district and found 187 cases of autism.
      The vast majority of these cases (more than 90%) were born in
      years in which thimerosal vaccines were widely used for infants in Quebec,
      as they were in the US.
      Only a tiny fraction of the autism students were born when
      thimerosal-free DTP and Hib vaccines were given, and these students may have
      been exposed to thimerosal from the Hepatitis B vaccine newly recommended
      for infants of foreign-born parents, which made up over one fourth of the
      greater Montreal population.
      Dr. Fombonne wrongfully claims that large-population studies in
      the United States, England and Denmark also disprove a link between mercury
      and autism.
      Although multiple respected researchers state otherwise, Dr.
      Fombonne maintains the radical conclusion "there is no autism epidemic."
      He conveniently ignores the vast body of scientific evidence,
      which has shown that environmental factors such as mercury may have caused
      the increased number of autism diagnoses in the US and other countries.
      Dr. Fombonne's actions have historically been in the best interest
      of various pharmaceutical companies, not families with autism. Fombonne has
      also declared himself an expert witness in thimerosal-related litigation.
      SafeMinds states, "Thimerosal is a serious poison that is harmful via
      inhalation, ingestion or contact with skin. Furthermore,
      thimerosal-containing vaccines elevate mercury levels in the body to a level
      where adverse neurological outcomes are known to occur. It is irresponsible
      for any pediatric doctor to justify injecting our children with mercury.
      "The prevalence of all autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) has risen to 1
      in 166 children in the past 20 years. Several independent federal agencies
      and respected scientists and researchers have received federal funds to
      investigate the autism epidemic and the biological plausibility of a link
      between mercury and ASDs. Multiple studies have indicated that there is a
      connection between childhood vaccines containing thimerosal and the
      incidence of autism. No conclusions have been made rejecting a link between
      mercury and autism."
      The National Autism Association (NAA), along with multiple advocacy
      groups and researchers, hope that Fombonne's conflicts of interest will be
      disclosed in Pediatrics. "These significantly weak conclusions certainly
      work to Dr. Fombonne's benefit. It is only appropriate that his partnership
      with pharmaceutical companies be revealed," says Claire Bothwell, Board
      Chair of NAA.
      For more information, visit www.nationalautism.org or
      www.safeminds.org.

      EVIDENCE OF HARM DISCUSSION LIST HEATS UP
      AS MERCURY LINK TO AUTISM QUESTION SPREADS

      >> PAPERBACK BOOK NOW OUT - CHECK AMAZON.COM

      An Evidence of Harm email discussion list has
      been created in response to the growing interest
      in the book and the issues it chronicles. Now over
      1,300 subscribers. Here is how to subscribe
      (no cost): EOHarm-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

      TREATMENT

      Adderall XR Demonstrated Improved Productivity in the Classroom Throughout
      the Day

      [From the drug manufacturer to physicians (MedScape)].
      http://www.medscape.com/infosite/adderall/article-adhdandadderall#productivi
      ty

      To be successful in the classroom, children must have good focus and
      attention, as well as good behavior. In a recent study, children taking
      Adderall XR experienced significant improvement in academic productivity, as
      measured by the PERMP scale, that was sustained throughout the day.[8][10]
      Significant improvement in academic productivity demonstrated in the
      Adderall XR group-on average, patients in the Adderall XR treatment group
      completed 26 more math problems correctly throughout the day compared with
      the placebo group.
      Adderall XR also demonstrated improvement in the core impairment of
      inattention. In a recent clinical study, efficacy in treating inattention
      was seen at the first postdose assessment (1.5 hours) and maintained
      throughout the day.[8,10]
      SKAMP (Swanson, Kotkin, Agler, M-Flynn, and Pelham) rating scale
      deportment score assesses classroom manifestations of ADHD, including not
      staying seated, not staying quiet, not following rules, etc.
      Adderall XR was generally well tolerated in clinical studies.
      * 97% of adverse events were mild or moderate, and most were reported
      during the first 3 months[11]
      * Adderall XR showed no clinically significant changes in mean heart
      rate or blood pressure over 2 years[11] * Over half of the patients
      receiving Adderall XR were treated for ?12 months[1]
      Adderall XR is contraindicated in patients with symptomatic
      cardiovascular disease and moderate to severe hypertension
      Adderall XR generally should not be used in patients with structural
      cardiac abnormalities Low Incidence of Adverse Events in an Open-Label,
      Noncomparative, Community Assessment Trial (LADD.CAT*)[4,17]
      -Incidence of adverse events was low, regardless of previous
      therapy[4]
      * - Most adverse events were mild in nature
      * More than half of patients receiving Adderall XR were treated for 12
      months[8]
      * The most common adverse events in pediatric trials included loss of
      appetite, insomnia, abdominal pain, and emotional lability * In a 24-month,
      open-label extension study, 97% of adverse events were mild or moderate, and
      most were reported during the first 3 months[11]
      + Graphics and references here:
      http://www.medscape.com/infosite/adderall/article-adhdandadderall#productivi
      ty

      PUBLIC HEALTH

      WSJ: Writers of Major Antidepressant Study Paid By Drugmakers

      A study in a prestigious medical journal warning against taking
      pregnant women off antidepressants failed to disclose most of the study's 13
      authors received money from makers of the drugs. In addition, The Wall
      Street Journal reports, some of the co-authors earned additional income on
      the lecture circuit telling physicians about their findings and pointing out
      flaws in contrary studies.

      ADVOCACY

      Statement From A-CHAMP Regarding The Combating Autism Act

      In November 2005 A-CHAMP made a commitment to many autism
      organizations, the community and our children to support the consensus
      revision version of the Combating Autism Act. see:
      http://www.a-champ.org/combatingautismactrevisednew.html The consensus
      revision bill contains a modest provision for vaccine, vaccine component and
      vaccine preservative research. This is the bill A-CHAMP supports and we have
      worked hard to advocate for the revised bill. We have kept and will continue
      to keep our promise to the community.
      If other organizations choose to break the consensus and support
      legislation that drops the vaccine research provision their action will be
      evident to the community.
      Everyone compromised on the consensus language. A-CHAMP does not view
      every provision in the consensus revision bill favorably but there is enough
      in the revised bill to make the entire package worthwhile.
      There is never sufficient justification for actions that place
      political positioning and expediency over efforts that make our community
      unified and strong. If our community were sufficiently unified and strong we
      could tell the Senate: NO!, that is not what we wanted, and we would be able
      to come back to the Senate and win a stronger bill. Unfortunately, the day
      is yet to arrive when our community's unity and strength will be realized.
      If other autism groups break their promise to the consensus for the
      sake of political expediency that is their choice. A-CHAMP will maintain its
      consistent position, one that is based on principle, a commitment to our
      community and, most importantly, a commitment to our children.
      Robert J. Krakow President, A-CHAMP
      www.a-champ.org BE A-CHAMP FOR CHILDREN!

      CARE

      California Assembly Member Saves The Best For Last
      It took Matthews 20 years, but she kept her promise to secure funding for
      disabled

      By Aaron Swarts for Inside Bay Area.
      http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_4040358

      Tracy - Calling it the "single most significant accomplishment" of her
      career, Assembly member Barbara Matthews, D-Tracy, along with four other
      members of the Assembly, has managed to secure $110.5 million in funding for
      the developmentally disabled in this year's state budget.
      The accomplishment represents the first time in 20 years that the
      state has committed substantial funding increases for the developmentally
      disabled community, Matthews said.
      "The state already doesn't have enough money to go around," Matthews
      said. "And there are a lot of competitive interests in the state budget. But
      we were determined to keep a promise we made to that community."
      The issue couldn't be any closer to Matthews' heart. She is the parent
      of an adult son with disabilities who has had several jobs in the community
      thanks to state programs.
      "Many persons with disabilities just want to work, yet it's often hard
      to get employers to see through their disability and see that they've got
      skills to offer," she said. "Once my son was able to start working, it made
      his life complete - he felt like a contributing adult."
      More than 86,000 adult Californians have cerebral palsy, autism,
      epilepsy, Down syndrome or other forms of de-velopmental disabilities that
      make them eligible for the state programs.
      Matthews credits her colleagues for looking beyond party lines when
      examining the issue of increased funding for those programs.
      We were able to appeal to them on a personal level, because every
      member of the Assembly has people in their district who are disabled, she
      said. These are the types of issues we were elected to address. We cannot
      let these people be overlooked.
      It is estimated that the budget boost could help create 1,200 jobs
      next year, which Matthews says will help keep people out of state
      institutions and reduce state spending on disability checks.
      For example, the Supported Employment Program provides everything from
      job placement and employmentreadiness training to on-the-job coaching.
      The funding will also provide wage increases for the staff that work
      with the developmentally disabled population, Matthews said.
      Calling themselves the Family Caucus, Matthews was joined in her quest
      for additional funding by Assembly members Russ Bogh, R-Beaumont, Betty
      Karnette, D-Long Beach, and Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills.

      Parents Sue After Child Assaulted by "Peer Tutor"

      - Expert Hired by District Claims Assault "Pleasurable"

      From Wrightslaw, Special Ed Advocate newsletter.
      http://www.wrightslaw.com/nltr/06/nl.0711.htm

      In September 2004, 18 year old Kalie McArthur was a student at
      Rampart High School in Colorado Springs, CO. She had an IQ of about 50 and
      several medical problems.
      Kalie was affectionate, loving, trusting - and vulnerable to abuse.
      The special education teacher assigned a 15 year-old boy to be Kalie's
      "field trainer" (peer tutor). On September 14, 2004, the boy led Kalie into
      a stairwell and sexually assaulted her.
      Kalie's parents tried to resolve their dispute with the school but
      were not successful. A psychologist hired by the district said the
      experience was "pleasurable" for Kalie.
      On June 2, 2006, Kalie's parents filed suit against the school
      district, high school principal, special education teacher, and
      paraprofessional.
      Glenn Beck of CNN Prime Headline News has a daughter with cerebral
      palsy. Outraged by the facts in this case, Mr. Beck has taken up Kalie's
      cause.
      On June 28, Pete and Pam Wright were guests on the Glenn Beck Show.
      Mr. Beck asked how parents can protect their children from abuse and whether
      the laws are tough enough to protect individuals like Kalie. Transcript
      To learn more about Kalie's case, download the Complaint, and find out
      what is likely to happen, go to Kalie McArthur v. Academy School District
      20.
      http://www.wrightslaw.com/news/06/mcarthur.academy20.htm

      THE CONSTANT INSPIRATION of SAR

      (June 2002)

      "It's 6:30 a.m. and I just finished reading
      the latest Schafer Autism Report. Your reports have
      become an important part of starting each day for me.
      I am able to gain knowledge and insight that I share
      with other parents. Many of your articles have
      assisted me in helping my son in a variety of ways.
      I am constantly inspired by the relentless
      perseverence of parents of children with autism, and
      our fight to uncover the mystery of the disorder.
      - Jeanne Canon

      For timely, relevant information about autism that can directly effect
      your family and mine, the Schafer Autism Report has it all at your
      fingertips. If you have been receiving the SAR for free for a while, you
      know how valuable an information resource it is. Keep this source of sanity
      and good information flowing. Join our growing list of charter subscribers.
      Subscribe today for $35 for 200 issues per year. (You can still get a
      review subscription without charge, until you are ready to pay for it. - We
      want your support, but we also don't want to lose you.) Please choose your
      subscription option:

      Pay Pal - http://www.sarnet.org/frm/SARsub1a.htm
      By Mail - http://www.sarnet.org/frm/sub1mail.htm
      No Cost - http://www.sarnet.org/frm/SARsub1a.htm

      New Subscribers here: http://www.sarnet.org/

      Autism: Seeing Through The Heart

      By Jeanne Tan Te
      http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ilo/2006/06/21/oped/jeanne.tan.te.html

      One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible
      to the eyes." - from The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
      Having a son with autism comes with as much difficulties and
      continuing challenges as there are quite a number of blessings. Three years
      ago, after my son was officially diagnosed with the autism spectrum disorder
      (ASD), I must have misunderstood my readings about the said disability and
      the expert advices I received saying that "autism (was going to be) a
      lifetime condition".
      My son, Jay who was 3 years old at that time, did not speak any
      comprehensible word -- not even "mama" -- except some barbaric syllables. He
      would run around the house aimlessly, stare at a Sesame Street box cover,
      roll himself on the sand, cry endlessly with almost impossible remedies,
      giggle without any cause, urinate just about anywhere, would not excrete in
      the toilet bowl and refuse to sleep until the next early morning. He would
      evade looking at me or anyone else when spoken to and this made teaching him
      any skill simply difficult. He stopped taking any solid meal except milk
      from a feeding bottle. And then I pictured Jay behaving the same way, this
      time at the age of 40... I felt my heart getting crumpled.
      On the first two years of his therapies, I would cling to every little
      improvement that Jay would show. Deep inside my heart, however, I knew that
      as a human being, he deserved to be in a better condition at the very least.
      I had this aching desire in my heart that one day, Jay would suddenly snap
      out of the autism syndrome... Impossible?
      At the very moment that I'm writing this article, Jay has just
      finished eating his dinner -- rice and crispy fried chicken. He has set-up
      his eating utensils and fed himself just like any independent kids of his
      age -- he is now six and a half years old. He can also bathe and get dressed
      by himself, among other life skills. He is already potty trained. Some of
      the words that he can say are "water", "soap", "apple", "banana", "open",
      "dog", etcetera. Just last week, he started to read whole words and will be
      getting into an SRA (Science Research Associates, Inc.) reading program. He
      doesn't jump in place nor run without direction anymore. I haven't noted any
      remarkable giggling by him for quite some time now. But these are only some
      of the positive indications that our odyssey towards recovery has just
      begun. We have a long way to go.
      Our battle against autism seemed tedious. The way we started with only
      a search for some cure or effective treatments in mind turned out to be a
      journey of forming bonds with people that we hardly even knew. There are
      quite a number of persons who are more than willing to help Jay overcome his
      disabilities and make him whole again, as a person. Ms. UL, our mentor and
      the principal of Sta. Isabel Learning Center has repeatedly emphasized that
      we only need faith in God and in Jay's capacity. "In God's time, ten years
      could mean one day for Him," I would remember her say. Patience in such a
      case would mean to keep on going despite the seemingly unremarkable
      improvements. Putting it this way, however, would only simplify her impact
      on our lives. I think that the best thing that Ms. UL has ever given us is
      self-empowerment.
      Continuous searching, researching, and keeping an open mind has also
      been a virtue that I had to learn. Once, I chanced upon a website that said,
      "Autism can be cured". I almost did not access the site because I have
      always been led to believe that this disease or disability was permanent and
      one can only develop some skills that a child needed in order to go through
      adult life with a certain degree of independence. But then again, a parent's
      gut feeling and faith in his child were what propelled Dr. Bernard Rimland
      and a group of strong-willed parents and professionals to form what is now
      known as the Autism Research Institute whose main undertakings are to find
      research-based medical treatments for curing autism. There are now an
      increasing number of children, mostly in the United States and some parts of
      Asia, who have recovered and do not even exhibit a trace of the autistic
      behaviors. Had I closed my mind, and threw off the descriptive line as one
      of those phony advertising come-ons, Jay would have never gotten into the
      first level of the series of the biomedical approach.
      +Read more:
      http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ilo/2006/06/21/oped/jeanne.tan.te.html

      COMMENTARY

      Toronto Star Editorial: Time to Deliver On Autism Promise

      http://tinyurl.com/j2e6g

      Dalton McGuinty promised during the 2003 election campaign to extend
      government funding for intensive autism therapy, then limited to children
      ages 2 to 5, to older children. Since then, however, the premier has fought
      legal efforts by parents to force him to do just that, arguing judges
      shouldn't tell governments how to spend their money.
      Last week, the Ontario Court of Appeal agreed, overturning a
      lower-court ruling that had found the age cut-off discriminatory and ordered
      the province to fund the costly therapy for children older than 5. The
      appeal judges said the Supreme Court has recognized that governments with
      limited resources must "make difficult policy choices and that the
      government is in a better position than the court to make such choices."
      Despite the ruling in its favour, the Ontario government says it will
      continue to pay for the autism therapy, known as Intensive Behavioural
      Intervention or Applied Behaviour Analysis, for all children who can benefit
      from it, regardless of how old they are. That is encouraging.
      But saying you will do something and actually doing it are two
      different things. McGuinty must now follow through.
      The signs, however, are not promising. Despite new provincial funding,
      too many autistic children who qualify for the intensive treatment are still
      not receiving it. Around 750 autistic children in Ontario are waiting for
      the therapy, almost as many as are currently getting it.
      Some frustrated parents are selling their houses to pay for the
      treatment themselves, at a cost of $40,000 to $60,000 a year. Others are
      pulling up stakes and moving to Alberta, where it is more readily available.
      The government says the number of children waiting for assessments has
      fallen drastically in the last two years. It also says it will fund
      intensive therapy for 120 more autistic children this year.
      But that will barely make a dent in the waiting list for treatment,
      which continues to rise with the incidence of the disorder.
      True, the intensive therapy is extremely expensive. There is also some
      debate over whether it is as effective for older children as it is for
      preschoolers, a fact that caught the attention of the appeal court.
      Down the road, experts in the field may develop less costly
      treatments, or cheaper ways of delivering the same treatment. But for now,
      this method appears to be the most effective way to reach many autistic
      children.
      McGuinty had to have known all this when he made his election promise.
      But after dragging dozens of families of autistic children through the
      courts to prove a point, it would be unseemly now if he does not deliver.

      Public Service Announcement to the Reader:

      AUTISM IS TREATABLE. Consult these sources:

      . Autism Research Institute http://tinyurl.com/ccxco

      . Generation Rescue http://www.generationrescue.org

      . UK - Autism Treatment Trust http://www.autismtrust.org.uk

      COPYRIGHT NOTICE: The above items are copyright protected. They are for our
      readers' personal education or research purposes only and provided at their
      request. Articles may not be further reprinted or used commercially without
      consent from the copyright holders. To find the copyright holders, follow
      the referenced website link provided at the beginning of each item.

      SUBSCRIBE to SAR: http://www.sarnet.org or mailto:subs at doitnow.com
      Lenny Schafer, Editor edit at doitnow.com Teresa Conrick Edward Decelie
      Richard Miles