From: Ann Hackett [mailto:aha@...
Sent: Sunday, 01 August, 2010 20:53
Some thoughts on "Old Mobility = mechanical solutions to biological
1. "Why the narrow binomial choices...?" We're a product of our
conditioning through experience, education and advertising.
2. Those "mechanistic approaches" to maintaining our current system
have caused problems for users and our environment but have served those
who benefit from these approaches very well and they don't want it to be
fixed. Look at profits, advertising budgets, tax revenue, etc...
3. Search for "ants + transportation" and "Ant Colony Algorithm" and
find evidence in favor of biological traffic organization by ants with
their highly developed social behavior.
4. How to get a shift in character, away from artificially created
desires of independence to highly developed social behavior?
5. Currently our binomial choices are:
Dependent = Public Transportation
Independent = Private, Car Ownership
The 3rd option is:
Interdependent = Shared Transportation
6. Decreasing the convenience of parking re-prioritizes the choices.