Massive US Air Attack South of Baghdad
By HAMZA HENDAWI, Associated Press Writer
January 10, 2008
U.S. warplanes unleashed one of the most intense airstrikes of the
Iraq war Thursday, dropping 40,000 pounds of explosives in a
thunderous 10-minute onslaught on suspected al-Qaida in Iraq safe
havens in Sunni farmlands south of Baghdad.
The mighty barrage -- recalling the Pentagon's "shock and awe" raids
during the 2003 invasion -- appeared to mark a significant escalation
in a countrywide offensive launched this week to try to cripple
remaining insurgent strongholds.
But it also fits into the endgame strategy of last year's U.S. troop
buildup, which seeks to regain control of Baghdad and surrounding
areas as a buffer zone for the capital. U.S. commanders are now
attempting to subdue the last insurgent footholds around Baghdad
before the Pentagon faces a possible reduction in troop strength.
Some of the additional 30,000 troops have been pulled out and the
remainder are expected to depart by June, military officials have told
The Associated Press. With insurgents still holding pockets south of
the capital in the north -- including areas around the key northern
city of Mosul -- the military apparently wants to take the remaining
four months or so to use the expanded military muscle against al-Qaida.
After Thursday's fierce airstrikes, U.S. and Iraqi soldiers advanced
through smoldering citrus groves into areas that were considered
important al-Qaida enclaves around Arab Jabour, southeast of Baghdad.
An Iraq officer said the soldiers discovered two houses used to
torture kidnap victims and arrested at least 12 suspected insurgents.
Little initial resistance was reported. At least nine U.S. soldiers
have been killed since the offensive began Tuesday -- the deadliest
days for American forces since last fall.
In the farming village of Zambaraniyah, on the outskirts of Arab
Jabour about nine miles southeast of the capital, scenes of neglect
and devastation were testimony to years of fighting between militants
and U.S. and Iraqi troops. Most of the land is torched or left fallow
along small roads that were once laced with booby traps and bombs.
Fields are strewn with trash and the blackened hulks of cars. Many
buildings are pockmarked by gunfire, and most homes are abandoned.
Maj. Alayne Conway, a spokeswoman for troops in central Iraq, said the
amount of ordnance dropped in 10 minutes nearly exceeded what had been
used in that region in any month since last June.
Conway said the air attack "was one of the largest airstrikes since
the onset of the war" in March 2003.
A military statement said two B-1 bombers and four F-16 fighters hit
40 targets in Arab Jabour in 10 strikes. Al-Qaida fighters are
believed to control Arab Jabour, a Sunni district lined with citrus
"Thirty-eight bombs were dropped within the first 10 minutes, with a
total tonnage of 40,000 pounds," the statement said.
The Iraqi army officer, whose unit is in the Arab Jabour area, said
the airstrikes began at 8 a.m. and set several groves ablaze and
destroyed two houses used by gunmen. He said soldiers confiscated
documents and weapons including AK-47s.
The army officer spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not
authorized to speak to the media. But Sheik Mahmoud Kamil Shebib, a
local Sunni leader who has turned against al-Qaida in Iraq,
independently gave a similar account.
Moahmoud Chiad, who lives on the edge of Arab Jabour, said he was
surprised to see many U.S.-Iraqi checkpoints with Iraqi security
forces. The Iraqis used loudspeakers to order residents to stay home.
"After this, we saw U.S. helicopters hovering over the area while the
sounds of jet fighters were also heard," he said. "Minutes later,
there was the sounds of big explosions. We saw fire and smoke coming
out from some groves. Then, the gunfire crackled in the groves, but it
ended by noon."
An AP reporter in Zambaraniyah observed bombing continue until
"This is about as far as our offensive has come to at this point,"
U.S. Army Lt. Col. Mark Solomon told a small group of reporters on a
"The enemy is a 100 yards from where we stand and snipers have taken
position in the houses you see some 200 or 300 yards away," the
40-year-old Massachusetts native said as he stood on a dirt road in
Zambaraniyah, a rural area where farmland is dotted with date palms
and small houses. "I believe they are looking at us now."
Solomon, with the 3rd Infantry Division, said two or three dozen
militants were holding out in the area and that about 30 of them were
killed in recent fighting. He said a force of about 50 men who live in
the area are actively supporting the U.S. and Iraqi forces in policing
the area -- part of the "Awakening Council" movement that has brought
Sunnis in alliance with Washington to battle al-Qaida and other groups.
Even before Thursday's massive attack, Solomon said residents were
returning to their homes and that stores and schools were reopening.
"This is a very encouraging," he said, pointing to a family of four
carrying bags brimming with clothes and food supplies.
Despite the apparent success to move quickly into suspected al-Qaida
zones, the overall impact of the current campaign remains unclear.
Before the beginning of the offensive, many militants apparently fled
U.S. and Iraqi forces massing north of Baghdad in Diyala province --
another area around the capital where insurgents continue to hold
sway. The retreat left open the possibility that al-Qaida and its
backers will seek new staging grounds in northern Iraq, where U.S.
troop levels are lower.
Brig. Gen. James Boozer, speaking on CNN, said al-Qaida fighters
relied on Diyala "as a sanctuary, a safe haven where they go refit,
rearm and plan some of their spectacular attacks."
Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, a Shiite, lauded the help of the
Sunnis in the awakening council movement in Diyala and Anbar. But he
said the decisive battles against extremists are still to come.
He predicted the crucial showdown could take place in Nineveh, a
diverse area of desert, farmland and mountains bordering Turkey in
Iraq's northwest. It includes Iraq's third-largest city, Mosul.
"We hope the decisive battle would be in Nineveh province, where
terrorism had fled from Baghdad," he said in Baghdad.
WORLD VIEW NEWS SERVICE
To subscribe to this group, send an email to:
NEWS ARCHIVE IS OPEN TO PUBLIC VIEW
Need some good karma? Appreciate the service?
Please consider donating to WVNS today.
To leave this list, send an email to: