A number of messages here have raised the question of how to open in WPMac files that
were originally created in WP for DOS or WP for Windows. Unfortunately, with the current
version of the SheepShaver-WordPerfect setup, a few extra steps are required before files
created by the Windows and WP versions can be opened.
Here are the basic steps. I assume that you know how to move files between the
SheepShaver-WP setup and the OS X file system. If you don't, please ask, and perhaps
someone will explain the process clearly in a separate message.
Anyway, to open WPWin/WPDOS files in WPMac running under SheepShaver (or anywhere
1. Go to the Files section here, then the Conversions folder, and download the file called
"Conversion Droplets 1.0.1.sit" (or some later number if a later version becomes available).
2. Start SheepShaver; double click on the SheepShaver disk icon in the upper right of the
deskotp to open it as a window.
3. Drag the "Conversion Droplets 1.0.1.sit" file into the SheepShaver disk window that you
opened in step 2. Do NOT leave the in your "Unix" folder.
4. Double-click the .sit file; it will create a folder called Conversion Droplets 1.0.1 f.
5. Open that newly-created folder, and drag the "droplet" files to your SheepShaver
6. To open a WP 5.1 file, drag it to the droplet called "Drop WP5 file to open in WPMac". To
open a file created in WPDOS or WPWin 6 through X4, drag it to the droplet called "Drop
WP6+ file to open in WPMac".
The SheepShaver-WP setup is an amazing achievement that is ideal for anyone who has
spent years using WPMac and wants to continue using it on Intel hardware or with OS X
10.5. However, it is probably not the best solution for people who want to work with
WPDOS or WPWin files; for those files, the best solution is probably either VMware Fusion
or Parallels Desktop running WordPerfect for Windows on the Mac desktop. It isn't a
perfect solution, but it's avoids the problem of two-way conversion and other
workarounds required by running WPMac in SheepShaver.