I decided to attempt a patch that addresses the shortcomings of the
current text rendering system, but which still uses the Cocoa text
system. My thought was that it would be good to have a working
renderer and something to compare Jiang's code with (rendering
discrepancies etc.) once he finishes porting it.
Unfortunately, this is not going to happen. It is just too difficult
to get the text system to work with Vim's drawing model; basically I
just can't get enough control over the layout of text system to get it
to do what I want.
However, I did manage to put something together so I am making it
available as a patch for those who are interested. It should apply to
the commit of Nov 5th:
This patch adds support for composing characters and the possibility
to disable font substitution (set MMNoFontSubstitution user default to
1). I was going to add support for 'guifontwide' but since I realized
that my approach will never work I decided to stop working on this.
You may noticed slower rendering with this patch...I never got around
to optimizing it. Also, line/paragraph breaks such as U+2028 and
nonspacing marks (e.g. U+064C) do not work very well with this patch
So, that is it. MacVim _needs_ an ATSUI (or Core Text) based approach
such as Jiang has implemented for vim-cocoa in order for it to support
unicode in all its glory. At least now I can state that as a fact.
Help us Jiang, you are our only hope. ;-)
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php