Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2009View Source
Yahoo Is Tracking Group Members Anonymous1-5-9
- Just got this from another YahooGroup owner and thought
I would pass along the information:
- Yahoo is Tracking Group Members
- If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using "Web Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to cookies, but allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you visit, even when you're not connected to Yahoo.
- Look at their updated privacy statement at http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html
- About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link that says WEB BEACONS. Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left find a box entitled "Opt-Out.". In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the opt-out button on the next page. Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use. Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but I'm not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed all users up to get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years ago.
- Please send this to anyone or any group you would like.
- Just got this from another YahooGroup owner and thought I would pass along the information: