I'm pleased to announce that "Chris Marriott's SkyMap Pro 6", a major new
released of the popular star charting software, has now been released.
Some of the many new features of this release include:
- A flexible observing log database allowing you to record your
observations. This can be searched in many different ways.
- A powerful set of observation planning tools. These are based around the
idea of a "target list" - a list of objects that you wish to observe. Target
lists are closely linked with the observing log, allowing you to easily
"check off" those objects which you've already observed.
- The ability to predict visible passes of, and display tracks of,
artificial earth satellites using standard "TLE" orbital elements.
- Display local circumstances of any solar or lunar eclipse occuring between
2000 BC and 3000 AD. For solar eclipses, display a detailed "eclipse map"
showing the path of the eclipse across the Earth's surface. For lunar
eclipses, watch the Moon pass through the Earth's penumbral and umbral
shadow on the star chart.
- Add your own notes to SkyMap's standard information for any object in the
- Create and display tabular data - eg tables of transits of Mercury/Venus;
dates of opposition of outer planets, etc.
- Display the correct shape of your local horizon line using a graphical
- Greatly improved galaxy catalog now uses the LEDA galaxy catalog,
containing over 160,000 galaxies.
- New telescope drivers.
- Improved external data catalog support. Catalogs are now "compiled" for
greatly increased speed. Multiple types of object can be displayed from a
single catalog, and you can define your own map symbols.
- Display object tracks relative to the horizon as well as relative to the
RA/dec grid. This allows you to display the Sun's Analemma, see when Mercury
is based placed for evening observation, etc.
.... and lots more!
For full details, and a free downloadable demo version, see our web site at
Registered users of any previous version of SkyMap or SkyMap Pro can
purchase the upgrade at a special upgrade price. Upgrade letters are in the
process of being mailed out to all registered users, but if you'd like to
"short circuit" the process please feel free to contact our publishers
directly. In the USA/Canada contact sales@...
If you have any questions about this new version, please send e-mail to
Chris Marriott, SkyMap Software, UK (chris@...
Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com
Astronomy software written by astronomers, for astronomers