apologies for cross-posting.
Call for Proposals for the 2009 International Tourism Biennial
"Marketing the Past - Managing The Future"
Location: Canakkale, Turkey
Date: 14-17 October 2009
Call Deadline: 29 May 2009
Conference language: English
The concept of tourism invokes multiple and complex interpretations. Tourism is both a problem and a solution to a problem. The theoretical and empirical base can be approached from a large number of perspectives (see themes). More than anything else, however, tourism is seen as a kind of social practice. As a consequence the focus shifts towards the role and responsibility of the individual in larger contexts, with attention being devoted to the future of tourism and the sustainability of it all.
Theme & Subthemes:
The conference focuses on three major themes:
- Tourism & Crises (ecological, economical, social, ...)
- Tourism & Heritage
- Tourism & Management
Other possible themes include:
- Tourism and Development (Globalisation, social development, third world development etc)
- Tourism impact assessment
- Tourism Marketing and Consumer Behaviour
- Maritime Tourism
- Nature Based Tourism
- Hospitality and Tourism
- e-Tourism and Distribution
- Media, Popular Culture and Tourism
- Tourism & Identity
- Tourism Education
- Tourism & Ethics
- Tourism & Research Issues
- bring together a group of established and emerging scholars from around the world,
- focus on the changing practices in tourism in contemporary times,
- have an interdisciplinary focus,
- focus on cutting-edge work in the distinct and emerging fields of language and literacy research that make up literacy studies, as well as numeracy studies.
We accept extended 5 page abstracts. Panels will generally include three or four papers or presentations. For panel proposals, the session organizer should submit a 150-250 word statement describing the panel topic, including the extended abstracts for each paper or presentation in the panel. Time allotted for paper presentations is 20min (+10min discussion).
Submit your abstracts via this website
(link will be added), or by sending them via email
to us using the document template. Remember to give the name(s) of the author(s), affiliation, e-mail address, phone number, fax number and 50 word biodate.
All proposals will be reviewed by the Scientific Committee
on their quality and relevance to the themes of the conference. A selection of submissions will be sent to the Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management
or the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology
- Prof. dr. Betty Weiler (Monash University, Australia)
- Prof. dr. Clayton Barrows (University of New Hampshire)
- Deadline for submission of abstracts: 29 May 2009.
- Notification of acceptance: 26 June 2009.
- Program available: 10 July 2009
- Early bird registration: 3 July 2009.
Details regarding the program, registration and hotel accommodation will be communicated via the website. Upon submission of an abstract, you will automatically receive this information. If you do not submit an abstract, send us an e-mail
or subscribe to this website
in order to receive our next newsletter.