Apr 27, 2012View Source
Please see messages below! If you have help out, please let me know!
Girl Scouts of Historic Georgia, Inc.
110 Pipemakers Circle, Suite 116
Pooler, GA 31322
T 912-236-1571 ext 117
This is the group that is looking for some Girl Scouts to conduct a flag ceremony on Friday May 3 at 8:30 in the morning. They have flags from 5 different companies. I’m sure the girls will get a free tour and possibly a T-shirt. Let me know if you have anyone who can help out.
Girl Scouts of Historic Georgia
110 Pipemakers Circle Suite 116
Pooler, GA 31322
912-236-1571 ext, 105 ofc
Girl Scouts builds girls of courage,
confidence and character, who
make the world a better place
For your information - they are looking for volunteers and youth groups to help out May 3 - 7
Savannah Tall Ships Challenge is looking for volunteers for their upcoming Tall Ships Challenge event. This is a great opportunity to have fun and get free tickets to one of the most talked about events this year!
They are also looking for civic groups and even youth groups (must be at least 13 yrs. old and be with an adult) so please forward this e-mail to anyone that you know who may be interested in being part of this fabulous event.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer for the Savannah Tall Ships Challenge® scheduled for May 3-7, 2012 with festival dates of May 4-6, 2012 that will take place on the historic banks of the Savannah River. We expect an international fleet of fully rigged, multi-masted tall ships to grace our riverfront arriving on Thursday, May 3 and departing in a Parade of Sail on Monday, May 7, 2012. It promises to be one of the most colorful and spectacular ticketed festivals our city has ever seen and will celebrate the art of Savannah itself, our rich maritime/nautical history and will recognize the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812. We appreciate your willingness to help and look forward to welcoming the tall ships to Savannah with you.
General volunteers will require the following:
- Must be available for a minimum of two shifts from May 3-7, 2012. Shifts could be up to 6 hours.
- This is an outdoor, all-weather event so there will be exposure to sun, heat, rain and wind.
- Volunteers will be required to verbally communicate, stand and/or walk during the entire shift.
- Some light labor (moving/lifting) may be required; General volunteer should be able to lift at least 25 lbs.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to participate in the volunteer opportunities.
General Event Volunteer Positions:
- Ticketing - Ensure customers have proper ticket to enter.
- Relief Volunteer - Provides breaks to volunteers, serves as runner and may fill in as needed in other event positions.
- Crowd Control - Control ship lines and assist patrons on and off the ship. Volunteers are dockside or on the ships assisting with the gangways.
- Children’s Area - Assist with children’s game activities and entertainment.
- Runners - Must have valid driver’s license, and vehicle and good knowledge of the area in order to pick up and deliver items requested by the Ship Captain, crew members and/or Ship Liaisons.
- Ask Me - these volunteers assist visitors with general information about Savannah and the Tall Ships Challenge ®. Good working knowledge of both is essential.
- Lineman/Sail Away Support - Cast off lines of ships prior to excursion, this is a position which will require additional orientation and training with maritime officials. Previous experience with Coast Guard Auxiliary is preferred.
Specialty Volunteer Positions:
Ship Liaison - Ship Liaisons work directly with the ships throughout their stay in Savannah. A good working knowledge of Savannah and how to get around is helpful. You must be available for all 5 days May 3-7, 2012. A typical day includes meeting with the Captain or the First Mate, advising him/her of the days’ activities; possibly helping a crew member with personal emergencies, such as finding a dentist, driving the cook to the supermarket for provisioning, etc. Commitment to work entire event is required. This opportunity works well if you can partner with another volunteer (such as spouse, friend, relative, etc.). All Ship Liaison candidates will be personally interviewed.
Docents - Docents assist with ship tours, often taking the place of a crew member at an information station such as the helm or the capstan. Some museum experience is helpful or just a love of ships and maritime history. Hours are the same as a general volunteer. All Docent candidates will be personally interviewed.
For more information please contact:
Savannah Tall Ships Challenge
Email Kenda Williams
Regional Tourism Representative
Georgia Department of Economic Development Tourism Division
Phone - 912-644-5975
Cell - 678-640-4357
212 Pierpont Avenue
Savannah, GA 31404
*Save the earth..... It's the only planet with chocolate !*