>Those who wish to participate in the alpha testing should build SlugOS
>3.7, which hopefully will soon become a SlugOS 3.8 binary release when
>we get enough reports of success either here or in the IRC channels.
OK, it took me a while but I finally managed to get it done. I have not completed the process but thought I should give some initial feedback.
I built the openslug image with monotone on a Gentoo amd64 system. I had some initial trouble with getting the monotone db (looks like the server was down or at least very slow or something) but in the end it worked.
Setup: The target in the master make file "setup-gentoo-host" (or something like this, I am writing this from memory) should not be used anymore and definetly not for non 32bit systems. Why is that? It creates entries in /etc/portage/package.unmask for monotone-0.24 and boot-1.32. Both are not in portage anymore plus I read somewhere that monotone 0.24 wouldn't work anyways. My Gentoo build system is set to accept "~amd64" so I got the latest boost library (1.33-r1) and monotone (0.25) even without the entries in /etc/portage. The target will not work for non 32bit systems since it tries to install psyco which will not compile on 64bit systems. Either look at the Makefile and emerge the needed software manually (without psyco, it is not needed for the build, apparently it is only there to speed things up) or do a "make setup" which will complain about missing software (like diffstats and texi2html on my system). Once you have satisfied all the needs of "make setup" you are
good to go.
Build: Almost everything went well until the very end. The I ran into the same problem that somebody already stated on the wiki page: the resulting kernel was too big by a couple of bytes and therefore the image could not be buildt. I don't know if this is only a problem of 64bit systems or maybe of the used compiler. My solution was to edit the defconfig for the used kernel (ixp4xxx-2.6.16, file is in <your directory>/openembedded/packages/linux/ixp4xx-kernel/2.6.16 if I remember correctly). I removed everything concerning serial connections (8250 and non standard, I don't plan to ever use that feature). That resulted in a slightly smaller kernel and the two images (kernel and root fs).
I have not tried to flash the resulting stuff to the slug yet but still thought I let you know about the results so far.