Aaah! I feel incredibly foolish! And I apologize for wasting the time of you
good people here.
I watched Internet explorer download the file and saw that the filename
corresponded with my script name. When I tried to open it from the download
option, it opened a command window that promptly closed. I assumed it was my
original perl script trying to execute and falling over. I NEVER actually
opened the file to look what it was! I assumed that because it was named
*.pl it was a perl file. I had also seen an entry in my Apache logs where it
looked as if someone had got a .pl file sent to them. Reminds me of a boss I
once had; he said "never ass-u-me anything; if you do it might make and
'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'". Well, it's certainly caught me this time.
I had just created a test file, that returns WML, to publish at
and saw it
download. I ran it; and, as before, the command window came and went. I
thought double check Angela before you make a fool of yourself... and bingo
the file is wml text!
Sorry everyone; I'll crawl away and die now.
PS For those vary of links, modPerlTest.pl referred to above contains
my $query = CGI::WML->new();
my $text="You sent $param<br/><br/>";
$text.="How now brown cow eating the cool green grass.<br/><br/>";
$text.="Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper.";
-title=>"Test WAP Card",
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com)
Version: 6.0.528 / Virus Database: 324 - Release Date: 16/10/2003