FUSI-HATCHI (Fus-Hatchi, Foutchachy). An Upper Creek town on the north bank of the Tallapoosa River, Fusi-Hatchi was 1 mile north of Wares Ferry, in ElmoreMessage 1 of 9 , May 9, 1999View SourceFUSI-HATCHI (Fus-Hatchi, Foutchachy). An Upper Creek town on the north bank
of the Tallapoosa River, Fusi-Hatchi was 1 mile north of Wares Ferry, in
Elmore County. De Crenay, on his map of 1733, placed the town on the south
side of the Tallapoosa River, opposite its later position. The French
census of 1760 showed that some of the Kusas people had united with this
village, giving it a combined population of 60 warriors. The trade
regulations of July, 1761, listed the combined population as 50 hunters.
GUNTER'S VILLAGE. This Cherokee village was on the present site of the town
of Guntersville, in Marshall County. John Gunter, A Scottish trader,
settled among the Cherokees during the American Revolution because of his
Tory sentiments, married a Cherokee woman, and was adopted into the tribe.
He founded this village in 1784 along a trading path. His double-log home
stood "at the foot of the hill" in Guntersville, about 200 yards from the
creek. He died in 1835 and is buried in an unknown grave.
HATCHITCHAPA (Hatch-chi-chubba, Hatchechubbee). This Upper Creek village
was situated at the headwaters of Mitchell's Creek, a few miles south of
Central, in Elmore County. This village was destroyed by Red Sticks in
1813, was evidently rebuilt and appeared in the census of 1832.
HILLABI. This Upper Creek town was on the left bank of Little Hillabi Creek, somewhat opposite Pinkneyville, near the Clay and Tallapoosa county line. InMessage 1 of 9 , May 9, 1999View SourceHILLABI. This Upper Creek town was on the left bank of Little Hillabi
Creek, somewhat opposite Pinkneyville, near the Clay and Tallapoosa county
line. In 1540, DeSoto discovered a tribe of Hillabis living on the lower
Savannah River in Georgia. It is quite possible that these Indians later
migrated into Alabama. the trade regulations of July, 1761, showed the town
with a population of 40 hunters. The town contained peach orchards and also
During the Creek War of 1813-14, the Hillabis fought against the Tennessee
militia at the battles of Tallahasseehatchee and Talladega. After the
Indians were defeated in both encounters, a delegation of warriors went to
General Jackson at Fort Strother asking for a termination of hostilities.
Realizing that an expedition under General James White was at that moment on
its way to Hillabi, Jackson attempted to halt the proposed attack, but
unfortunately was too late.
On November 18, 1813, General White surrounded the town, which contained 65
wounded warriors who were hospitalized in the cabins there. No battle took
place. The militiamen went into each cabin, bayoneting the wounded in their
beds. The town was then burned. This needless action seriously hurt
Jackson's reputation in the eyes of the friendly Indians, and is referred to
in history as the "Hillabi Massacre.?
to be continued.
HOITHLEWALLI (Huhliwahli, Ulibahali, Olibahali, Cheeawoola, Telonalis Chevallis). For several centuries Indians lived at this site on the right bank of theMessage 1 of 9 , May 10, 1999View SourceHOITHLEWALLI (Huhliwahli, Ulibahali, Olibahali, Cheeawoola, Telonalis
Chevallis). For several centuries Indians lived at this site on the right
bank of the Tallapoosa River, on a strip of land east of the influx of
Mitchell's Creek (also known as Chubbehatchee Creek), extending back from
the river for a mile, in Elmore County. On August 31, 1540, the DeSoto
expedition reached this town and the Gentleman of Elvas wrote in his diary:
"The Governor (DeSoto)) ordered all his men to enter the town which was
enclosed and near which flowed a small river. The enclosure, like that in
other towns seen there afterward, was of thick logs, set solidly close
together in the ground, and many long poles as thick as an arm placed
crosswise. The height of the enclosure was that of a good lance, and it was
plastered within and without and had loopholes.
SAUTA (Santa). This small Cherokee village was near the mouth of North
Santa Creek, approximately 5 miles from Scottsboro, in Jackson County.
Sauta was founded about 1784. Tradition states that Sequoyah first made
known his new invention, the Cherokee alphabet, at Sauta. Later the
Episcopal Mission School was established there.
SAWANOGI (Petit Chaouanons, Sawanoki, Souvanoga). A Shawnee town situated on the south side of the Tallapoosa River, 2 miles above Likasa Creek. Sawanogi wasMessage 1 of 9 , May 12, 1999View SourceSAWANOGI (Petit Chaouanons, Sawanoki, Souvanoga). A Shawnee town situated
on the south side of the Tallapoosa River, 2 miles above Likasa Creek.
Sawanogi was near Ware's Ferry in Montgomery County. It was part of the
Creek confederacy. the French census of 1760 listed the town as "Little
Shawnees," a town located 3 leagues from Fort Toulouse, with a population
of 50 warriors. The British trade regulations of 1761 stated that it
contained only 30 hunters.
In 1799, Benjamin Hawkins wrote that the inhabitants were industrious,
worked in cornfields, and raised horses and hogs. The fields, he stated,
were on both sides of the river. During the Creek War of 1813-14, Sawanogi
was a Red Stick town. The antebellum historian, Pickett, said that it was
the home of Savannah Jack, "the most blood-thirsty, fiendish and cruel white
man that ever inhabited any country."
to be continued.
Georgia Mathis Cummons
SAWOKLI (Chaouakale, Chauakle, Sauwoogelo, Great Sawokli, Saukli, Chewakala). This Lower Creek town was on the west bank of the Chattahoochee River, just upMessage 1 of 9 , May 12, 1999View SourceSAWOKLI (Chaouakale, Chauakle, Sauwoogelo, Great Sawokli, Saukli,
Chewakala). This Lower Creek town was on the west bank of the Chattahoochee
River, just up from the mouth of Hatchichubbee Creek, in Russell County.
Sawokli first appeared on De Crenay's map in 1733. The French census of
1760 listed the town as being 31 leagues from Fort Toulouse and containing a
population of 50 men. In 1832, the town was under the control of 2
chieftains and consisted of 56 families. the name appears in a variety of
forms on old maps, but its meaning is "raccoon town."
SUKA-ISPOKA (Suk-at-lspoka). This Upper Creek village was situated on the
right bank of the Tallapoosa River, between Welch and Whaley ferries, 12
miles upstream from Okfuski, in Tallapoosa County. The name of this village
means "hog gathering place." Probably a branch of the Indian town of
Okfuski, this village appeared on Mitchell's map in 1755. In the French
census of 1760, it was listed along with Okfuski, the combined two having
300 warriors. The British trade regulations of the following year showed it
alone with 130 hunters. A white trader was killed in this village on May
14, 1760. Benjamin Hawkins, in 1799, found but few inhabitants living in
the village. He stated that the others had moved away to Imukfa.
To be continued,
TALATIGI (Kalalekis). the site of this Upper Creek town was within the present-day limits of Talladega, in Talladega County. the word Talatigi meansMessage 1 of 9 , May 15, 1999View SourceTALATIGI (Kalalekis). the site of this Upper Creek town was within the
present-day limits of Talladega, in Talladega County. the word "Talatigi"
means "border town". The French census of 1760 listed this town with a
population of 30 warriors.
In November, 1813, many friendly Creeks took refuge in Fort Lashley, which
was erected at Talatigi. They were surrounded by 1,000 hostile Red Sticks,
who demanded that they surrender. During the night, Selocta Chinnabee, a
well-known scout, slipped out of the fort, dressed in a hog skin, crawled
through the enemy line, and reached General Andrew Jackson at Fort Strother,
telling of their plight. On November 9, Jackson's army, consisting of 1,200
infantrymen and 800 cavalrymen, surrounded the enemy. A battle ensued in
which 15 militiamen were killed. The bodies of 299 of the Red Sticks were
TALI. This ancient village was on McKee's Island, in the Tennessee River,
near Guntersville, in Marshall County. The site has been inundated by the
river. On July 9, 1540, the chieftain of this village tried in vain to send
the women and children across the river in canoes to safety after learning
that Spanish soldiers under DeSoto were approaching. However, as Ranjel
recorded on the occasion, "the Governor (DeSoto) forced them all to turn
back." The chief was then forced to furnish DeSoto's party with canoes in
order to enter the village.
That's all I have on Indian Villages, when I can get back to the society
where I found the book; I'll copy some more.
Georgia Mathis Cummons