--- In firstname.lastname@example.org
, "mackrmdl" <mackrmdl@...>
> --- In email@example.com, "Jeff _R" <backacres@>
> > I know these are a notorius for problems and a design flaw with
> > tractors, but lately I seem to be having more troubles with them
> > ever before. I just replaced them with new ones this spring and
> > have bottomed out on the adjustment.
> > Has anyone found a better solution? Maybe a different material
> > I have acces to a machine shop at work and am thinking of making
> > own. It doesn't seem right that I would need to replace these a
> > of times a year (not to mention the cost of them now).
> > As a note, however, the tractor gets used year round for
> > driveway in the winter and then mowing several acres the rest of
> > time. Maybe I am under-powered and pushing this old beast too
> > Any thoughts and/or comments are greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks!!
> > Jeff
> You are right about the clutch in the back being a poor design.
> fixed mine as follows. Mine would squeek with new clutch brake
> and it was driving me crazy. I removed the clutch brake / linkage/
> parts after removing the tunnel cover using a SHORT 3/4" wrench (NO
> NEED TO REMOVE FENDERS!!!). I cleaned up the front of the
> transmission to shinney metal and replaced everything (pads, pad
> holder/actuator, springs, bolt etc.). Forget the adjustment in the
> book. If it is set too tight, it will stop the tractor dead with
> clutch and if set too loose, it will never stop the clutch from
> turning. I set mine sort of in the middle. It is loose enough
> I depress the clutch, the tractor will still roll and at the same
> time, if the tractor is in neutral, it will take a few seconds to
> stop the clutch from turning. It is about a 1/2 hr to 1 hr job to
> change the parts and maybe an hr to adjust it to where it feels
> right. Mine is quiet now and seems to be working like it use to 20
> years ago. I am guessing $200.00 for parts. Mine does have fairly
> new shafts and a complete clutch rebuild.
I have seen the little clutch brake buttons replaced with a disc
brake pad and it worked for years without replacing.