Happy New Year ! the theme of World Health Day 2013 is Hypertension. details on http://www.who.int/world-health-day/en/index.html World Health Day - 7 AprilMessage 1 of 1 , Dec 31 9:43 PMView Source
Happy New Year !
the theme of World Health Day 2013 is Hypertension.
details on http://www.who.int/world-health-day/en/index.htmlHypertension – also known as high blood pressure – increases the risk of heart attacks, strokes and kidney failure. Uncontrolled hypertension can also cause blindness, irregularities of the heartbeat and heart failure. The risk of developing these complications is higher in the presence of other cardiovascular risk factors such as diabetes. One in three adults worldwide has hypertension. The proportion increases with age, from 1 in 10 people in their 20s and 30s to 5 in 10 people in their 50s. Prevalence of hypertension is highest in some low-income countries in Africa, with over 40% of adults in many African countries thought to be affected.However, hypertension is preventable and treatable. In some developed countries, prevention and treatment of hypertension, together with other cardiovascular risk factors, has brought about a reduction in deaths from heart disease. The risk of developing hypertension can be reduced by:
- reducing salt intake
- eating a balanced diet
- avoiding harmful use of alcohol
- regular physical activity
- maintaining a healthy body weight
- avoiding tobacco use.
Goals: Greater awareness, healthy behaviours, improved detection, and enabling environmentsThe ultimate goal of World Health Day 2013 is to reduce heart attacks and strokes. Specific objectives of the campaign are:
Dr. Prasad Pore
- to raise awareness of the causes and consequences of high blood pressure;
- to encourage people to change behaviours that can lead to hypertension;
- to persuade adults to have their blood pressure checked regularly;
- to increase the number of health facilities offering blood pressure checks; and
- to incite national and local authorities to create enabling environments for healthy behaviours.
Mobile No. 9921073540