Last year there were only 4 hip-hop blogs on the web. Now there are
dozens. Back when our "blogosphere" was smaller I knew each writer's
name, where they lived, and spoke to them on aim, email, and in
person often. Now I can't keep up.
Why do I care? Well, because a blog is a conversation. I don't keep a
blog to get rich or famous. I do it to share ideas with others.
Thanks to the webfeeds of most of the hip-hop blogs I am able to keep
up with the ideas. But since I don't speak to the people the ideas
thatI read are out of context in a way.
I'm hoping that this email list/message board will be a simple way
for all of us to keep in contact and trade thoughts. There are a few
specific uses for this space that I've thought of:
1. Jeff Chang once group emailed everyone about a writing opportunity
he was passing up and passing along. Now he can do that here.
2. Byron Crawford once emailed me about a hack I was using with my
blog software. Now we have that exchange here to everyone's benefit.
3. Eric Nord started a hip-hop directory with the help and input of a
lot of us. Now any of us can do something like that here.
Some quick ground rules though:
1. Don't be annoying. No announcements about your own website unless
it's really something special.
2. Don't be annoying. No messages about your friend's websites, or
album, or whatever.
3. Don't be annoying. You can disagree with whoever in the group, but
don't be rude.
Got that? Good. Have fun.