On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Sally Schilling wrote:
> Well, I have been having problems with algae in my tank... this morning when
> I went to feed the fish I saw teeny tiny snails in my tank! I have never
> had snails before... I can only surmise that they somehow got there when I
> purchased some plants... Now, the question is: What should I do? I don't
> want them to overtake my tank (30 gal hex)! Will they eat the algae? If
> they eat the algae, that's fine with me... but when they become large enough
> (there appear to be 5-6, if not more) how destructive can these mollusks
> get, also, how large can these little "suckers" get?
Snails will help eat the algae that tends to grow flat, like the stuff
that usually sticks to the glass. They're not really a problem unless
they start to be "all over the place" (a "snail explosion"), or if they're
particularly large (when they'll start munching on your plants
themselves). I wouldn't worry about it too much, the snails that come in
on live plants are usually relatively small and harmless. I've had snail
explosions happen before, but often what happens is they'll then start
dying out until they reach some equilibrium with the tank...
Just keep an eye on them, if it seems like there're too many, scoop a
bunch out. :)
I have one or two snails in my 25 gallon that came in on plants, their
shells are about as big as a quarter, but the vast majority are small than
a pencil eraser.
** Have a question that reality just can't answer? **
** Visit Project Galactic Guide http://www.galactic-guide.com/
"Any sufficiently advanced form of magic is
indistinguishable from technology."