Perhaps ask the vet about an anti-vomiting medication, I gave Ditto one that was an injection and it worked within minutes. Could he need pepcid a/c? CindiMessage 1 of 18 , Jul 10View SourcePerhaps ask the vet about an anti-vomiting medication, I gave Ditto one
that was an injection and it worked within minutes. Could he need
Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
from May Eustace's Cats in Clover
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:31 AM, kathleen wrote:
> Marlow still hasn't eaten, and I am extremely worried. He is just
> lying under the futon breathing with a normal respiration rate. It
> has been at least 15 hours since he has eaten, if not more. I offered
> him some food on a spoon, and he turned away and gagged for a second.
> I then syringe-fed him about 7 mL of watered-down cat food broth,
> which he was not a fan of, but he didn't throw it back up or gag. Is
> he going to starve himself to death today? I am just counting down
> the minutes until my regular vet can talk with me- the vets at the
> emergency vet hospital aren't very good, and I don't trust them with
> this. 30 more minutes! I really hope Marlow can pull through this,
> but I'm not very optimistic right now- he seems really weak, and his
> hatred of food can't be a good thing.
> Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your
> reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to
> firstname.lastname@example.orgYahoo! Groups Links
I m sorry to hear about Marlow. My cat went through a similar issue this month, it was very scary for me and I was close to making the decision to put my babyMessage 1 of 18 , Jul 10View SourceI'm sorry to hear about Marlow. My cat went through a similar issue this month, it was very scary for me and I was close to making the decision to put my baby down because he looked so miserable.
So take heart, the meds you are on can be increased still to make him feel better and do better. I have learned that after a stressful event, like a vet visit or ER visit it takes my baby 1-2 days of seclusion in my bedroom with no sounds (Window Closed). This forces him to rest undisturbed by my daily activities. I sleep with him at night so he's not isolated. But after he rests like this he feels better. But those days can be scary, he sits in the meatloaf position with his ears back and an unhappy look on his face. I do watch his RR (Respiratory Rate)closely and alternate between 12.5mg Lasix twice a day and three times a day depending on where he is.
When we had a bad time this month we were going to the vet every other day, he wasn't eating and they gave him Mitizaphe (sp?) which sent him into full CHF event, that took another 2 weeks to recover from. So I don't recommend giving an appetite stimulant. The vet told me if he just eats 1/2 of a small can she'd be happy. He ate less than that, maybe 1/4 can for a week, even on this small amount he gained back some weight. He eats more as he feels better, so don't get too freaked if he's not eating much when he's not feeling weel.
So just know that Cats don't want to eat when their breathing is difficult. I give treats just to get something down them, gravy or baby food works too. Try a variety.
Let him rest in a quiet room away from other cats and household activity for a few days.
Be patient, the meds will work but it can be agonizingly slow sometimes.
Hoping for the best,
Rose & Baxter
Here is an update on Marlow: First of all, thank you everyone for all of your help and support. It has made this somewhat easier. We went to the vet todayMessage 1 of 18 , Jul 11View SourceHere is an update on Marlow:
First of all, thank you everyone for all of your help and support. It has made this somewhat easier.
We went to the vet today because he is still acting off and lethargic, and they gave him 200 mL of subcutaneous fluids because his skin tented, and he looked dehydrated. At the vet, he also had blood drawn for a cbc and a chemistry panel which will be ready tomorrow, and the vet listened to his lungs and heart. She graded his murmur at a 3, and said that his lungs sounded good. He is a very upset kitty right now, but hopefully he will be getting better soon.