We are advertising for an Administrative Assistant position for the
Environmental Education Outreach Program at Northern Arizona
University. Details about the position are available on the NAU website
Details about how to apply for jobs at NAU are available online
If you have any questions about the position or the application process,
please contact me.
Job Vacancy Announcement
Position: Administrative Assistant
Vacancy Number: 554341
Date Posted: 01/06/2004
Department: Inst Tribal Environmental Prof
Status: Full-Time, Regular - Classified Staff
· This position is full-time, benefits eligible. This position is
contingent on availability of grant funds. Incumbent is not eligible for
layoff or recall status. FSLA: non-exempt. This position reports to the
Environmental Education Outreach Program (EEOP) Coordinator.
· Performs general office duties including screening phone calls and
opening and reviewing incoming mail. Proficient in the use of email for
· Maintains a variety of records requiring compilation of varied
information. Creates and maintains central filing system on federal grants
and other department records.
· Serves as liaison to faculty, staff, students, tribal members,
outside agencies and the public concerning information about the
Environmental Education Outreach Program (EEOP). Provides assistance to
other NAU personnel and/or offices, as necessary.
· Types or word processes correspondence, reports or other documents
from rough draft, or notes, corrects grammar, spelling and punctuation
errors; edits wording without changing intended message. Prepares or
directs preparation of minutes, notices, manuals, agendas and
correspondence with all supporting documentation. Summarizes reports and
information to facilitate review by superior and investigates, evaluates
and resolves problems within scope or position.
· Provide Advantage support to accountant in the maintenance and
reconciliation of budgets for departmental, institutional or work unit
accounts; monitors expenditures and performs simple analysis on accounts,
preparing both special and recurring reports for supervisor.
· Maintains and updates appropriate databases pertaining to all
participants training files using Microsoft Access software program; keeps
participants files accessible and current; maintains other database
information on the server.
· Handles registration for workshops and assists instructors with the
preparation of workshop materials, provides support service during
workshops and conferences.
· Coordinates business affairs and personnel matters. Assists program
coordinator and other related personnel with various functions, meetings,
telephone conferences, calendaring; communicates arrangements to
appropriate individuals. Arranges necessary travel reservations and
itineraries, anticipating and preparing background materials as needed.
Processes travel claims following completion of travel.
· May assist in researching, summarizing and analyzing information;
calculating statistics and compiling data to prepare special and recurring
reports, selecting relevant information from a variety of sources,
following supervisor's general direction.
· Assists with supervision of student workers
· Four years directly related experience; OR,
· Certificate in Secretarial Science AND three years of directly
related experience; OR,
· Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of standard office policies and procedures.
· Skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships.
· Skill in English composition, grammar, spelling and punctuation.
· Skill in basic math.
· Skill in the use of personal computer/software. (e.g., Word, Excel,
· Proficient in Microsoft Access database program.
· Ability to problem solve and make decisions.
· Knowledge of basic accounting/budgeting procedures.
· Ability to work with people from a variety of different culturally
· Must be able to travel.
· A criminal and employment history background check will be
performed prior to employment offer.
· $25,000-$28,000 Depending on experience.
· January 22, 2004 by midnight.
· To apply, submit letter of interest, resume, and names, phone
numbers and addresses of three references to: Northern Arizona University
Human Resources Department P.O. Box 4113 Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Mansel A. Nelson
Program Coordinator Voice 928 523 1275 / 1496
Environmental Education Outreach Program Fax 928 523 1280
Institute for Tribal Environmental Professionals mansel.nelson@...
PO Box 5765
Northern Arizona University Hanley Hall
Flagstaff, AZ 86011 Bldg 7, Room 112
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
children." Native American Proverb