POSITION: Development Director
ORGANIZATION: Leadership Public Schools
About Leadership Public Schools
Leadership Public Schools (LPS) is a non-profit charter school
development organization, based in San Francisco, whose mission is
to open at least 25 outstanding, small, public, charter high schools
in low-income California neighborhoods. LPS now has schools open in
Richmond, East San Jose, Oakland, and Hayward. LPS will also open in
Campbell, Oakland, and Stockton in Fall 2006, LPS is led by Mark
Kushner, one of the country's most experienced charter school
operators. A number of leading foundations support LPS, including
the the Pisces Foundation, New Schools Venture Fund, and the Walton
Family Foundation. LPS currently has more than 14 full-time staff
members working out of the San Francisco office, as well as over 50
staff members at its four operating schools.
For more information about LPS, please visit http://www.leadps.org
Reporting to the CEO, the Development Director is responsible for:
- Planning, building, and executing LPS's comprehensive fundraising
- Identifying and engaging individuals, foundations, and
corporations in an active and systematic giving program.
- Working with the CEO and Board Chair with reporting and ongoing
relationship management for the major foundations with whom LPS
already has close relationships.
- Providing guidance and support to principals, teachers, parents,
and volunteers raising funds for individual LPS schools.
- Working with the Board Development Committee to increase the
Board's fundraising capacity.
- Writing and editing grant proposals and collateral materials.
- Recruiting, training, and managing development staff as LPS grows.
- Performing other duties and special projects as assigned by the
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of five years professional fundraising experience in a
comprehensive development program.
- Experience building a major individual gifts program.
- Experience developing successful grant proposals to foundations
- Detail orientation with experience in developing comprehensive and
organized prospect management systems.
- Familiarity with creating and managing grant budgets and working
with financial information.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and an outstanding
ability to build and nurture positive relationships.
- Demonstrated success in working as a part of a team.
- Enthusiasm for working in a start-up environment.
- Experience with fundraising for an educational organization is a
E-mail cover letter and resume to lpsdod@...
Applicants may be subject to background checks.
LPS is committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff. We
encourage applications from people from traditionally under-
For more information about Leadership Public Schools, please visit