Please see below - applications are due Monday, Oct 13th for a position in the San Francisco office. POSITION: Venture Analyst, CharterMessage 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2003View SourcePlease see below – applications are due Monday, Oct 13th for a position in the San Francisco office.
POSITION: Venture Analyst, Charter Accelerator Fund
ORGANIZATION: NewSchools Venture Fund
LOCATION: San Francisco
NewSchools Venture Fund is a venture philanthropy fund working to transform public education for underserved children by supporting education entrepreneurs who create high-quality education ventures, and by providing thought leadership across traditional education boundaries to ensure that results-oriented, systemic change is accomplished. Founded in 1998, NewSchools has invested $20M to date in ten nonprofit and for-profit organizations.
Please visit our website at www.newschools.org to learn more about the NewSchools Venture Fund.
The venture analyst serves in a variety of capacities as a member of the venture team, supporting all capabilities including review of incoming business plans, due diligence, investment recommendations, management assistance, and ongoing investment strategy. Primary responsibilities of the position are of a research, analysis, writing, and project management nature. In addition, the venture analyst will support and/or lead various network-building events, especially as they relate directly to supporting the NewSchools portfolio of entrepreneurs. Because the analyst supports the venture team across investment areas, the analyst must have a broad understanding of the education landscape and an outstanding ability to appropriately prioritize tasks.
The venture analyst will report to a senior member of the venture team.
Success in the position will require, but not be limited to:
- Support the due diligence
activities of the venture team
- Conduct market research related to prospective investment
- Assess plans/proposals against investment criteria
- Conduct interviews with entrepreneurs, team members, and references
- Contribute to analysis and recommendations to Investment Partners
- Contribute to management
assistance projects as needed for portfolio ventures
- Develop management assistance tools
- Provide support through venture-specific and portfolio-wide projects
- Own quarterly venture reporting process
- Coordinate network events within portfolio
- Track reporting and distribution requirements within team
- New ventures process
- Oversee intake of all new business plans received
- Review and assess proposals according to investment criteria
- Manage team process and meetings for further diligence, discussion, and closure
- Manage correspondence with applicants for funding
team infrastructure building
- Leadership and/or support of recruiting efforts within venture team
- Development of internal systems and tools (e.g., related to investment process)
- Represent NewSchools at relevant industry conferences and events
- Establish and cultivate relationships with appropriate network contacts
- Provide general writing support to venture team projects (presentations, proposals)
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Solid research experience; ability to quickly and clearly synthesize information
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills in evaluating markets, organizations, and opportunities
- Proficiency in working with financial statements and models
- Demonstrated passion for and broad understanding of public education
- Ability to execute on a number of diverse projects simultaneously; comfort with taking initiative and making progress amidst competing priorities
- Effective project management skills, attention to detail, and tendency to drive toward completion
- Comfort and success in working and thinking within close-knit teams
REQUIREMENTS A bachelor’s degree is required.
COMPENSATION A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus, and complete benefits is available.
The NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and one-page cover letter no later than Monday, October 13th via e-mail to Gregory Holmes at: gholmes@...
- Support the due diligence activities of the venture team