Being a Camp Director called on me to be my best self. I grew in skill and confidence as I built my own vision to inspire a community of learners, doers andSep 2, 2009 1 of 1View Source
"Being a Camp Director called on me to be my best self. I grew in skill and confidence as I built my own vision to inspire a community of learners, doers and thinkers. I've always been motivated by the call to be the change I want to see in the world; Galileo taught me how."
- Marie, 2-year Camp Director
As a Camp Director with Galileo Learning, you will join an educational movement that is a model of innovative learning in the communities we serve. Our mission is to provide opportunities for young people to discover and pursue their passions, and to nurture the careers of current and aspiring educators. Our Camp Directors each bring this vision to life in their own ways.
Camp Galileo,a flagship program of Galileo Learning, is seeking several new Camp Directors for summer 2010. We run summer daycamps for entering K-5th grade students, focused on subjects often neglected in the modern classroom--art, science and outdoor activities. Founded in 2002, Camp Galileo inspires kids to express themselves and improve the world through creative action.
What Makes This Experience Special?
· Create Lasting Impact: Develop multi-year relationships with staff members, campers and their families. Camp Directors are the face of Galileo in the communities they serve, and leader of a learning community. This is why we are seeking those interested in a long-term commitment (at least 3 summers, but hopefully more!).
· Inspire Kids: Envision and create an environment that emphasizes fun and learning, from the science classroom to camp ceremonies and games.
· Build a Team: Learn how to select and hire a top notch team of professional and aspiring educators,then lead and mentor that team to implement your vision for the summer. Develop your educational leadership skills by observing instructors and giving feedback, helping them to become better educators.
· Grow Professionally: Receive support and coaching in areas you want or need to develop, both from Galileo management and from more experienced members of the Camp Director community.
· Earn Significant Summer Income: Earn$10-13,000 in your first year, which would increase 20-40% annually in subsequent years.
Who We're Looking For
- Leadership: Camp Directors select and manage a team of 15-40 staff members, and we are seeking leaders who will inspire and motivate their teams.
- Experience: Though Galileo provides extensive training for Directors, this is a significant leadership position. We're looking for candidates with college degrees who have several years' experience working with children and demonstrated leadership and management ability.
- Passion for Working with Kids: Camp is a unique environment, where Camp Directors create various facets of the fun learning experience for campers. Camp Galileo is an innovative learning community, a place where risks are encouraged. It is also a silly & fun environment where every day is a dress-up day and our mascot is a rubber chicken.
- Creativity: Every site has its own personality, influenced by the Camp Director's style. Develop and implement ideas on a daily basis, to create the culture at your site.
- Organization: CDs manage many details, and we expect them to be detail-oriented and accountable to the commitments they make.
- Spring/Summer Availability: Work fits around a school-year job or graduate school. CDs work 5-10 hours per week from late January to early June (plus several weekend retreats), then 6-8 weeks FT during summer.
If you love building and inspiring a team, and are ready to take the first step toward a transformative summer experience, you can visit our website to learn more at http://www.galileo-learning.com/jobs_cdirector.html. To view open positions and apply, visit http://camp-galileo.icims.com/jobs/intro.
Please do not email requesting an application or sending us your resume, as we only accept applications submitted via our website.