Thanks so much!
'Tis an honor to stand up for such a noble cause as the Occupy Movement. I really appreciate your kind words on my mug shot - the second one, taken last night, was a bit better, because I was smiling, but the wrinkles around my eyes REALLY stood out. Could have something to do with sleep deprivation since they take the picture at 3:30 in the morning. The whole jail experience is just more evidence of how broken our system is. It is an eye-opener, for sure!
The stories I've heard from the other women in jail are tragic. From what I've seen these 2 nights in jail, the police are after the wrong sort. Society is no safer from spending our tax dollars to incarcerate the traffic offenders, those caught with drugs or alcohol, or the domestic abuse cases I've encountered. But again the poor are bearing the costs while the rich escape punishment (remind me again, how many banksters went to jail in the whole mortgage-scheme debacle that left so many of us homeless?).
Remember that Alexis de Tocqueville came to America at our inception to study our penal system. I'm just repeating history with my multiple forays into the legal/judicial arenas.
So somebody today
has to step up and make some noise about how broken the system is and call for attention on solutions that will work for ALL of us, instead of slavishly serving the 1% by foisting all costs and responsibility on the other 99% of us. I'm really pleased about the quality company I've found within this global Movement and very appreciative of being at liberty to lend my efforts to this cause.
Love & Peace,
From: alissa@...To: mdecamp@...Sent:
Sunday, November 27, 2011 2:47:20 PM
Mary - I read your recent email and I have to say this: You look good in that mugshot - tough, resolute, intelligent and cool. You should be proud of that mugshot and your actions leading up to it. I am one of so many who are tremendously proud of you. That picture cannot be used to discredit Occupy Tucson- on the contrary. What your picture depicts is the toughness and integrity of the protesters. I love it!
Thank you for your courage and civil disobedience.