As held in Durban, S Africa. Attached as well as in message below:
WAA Meeting/Congress 29 April 2008 Durban SA
1.0 Welcome of Delegates
1.1 Chair, Graham Henderson; acting secretary, Carol Rose
1.2 Delegates Carol Rose, USA
1.3 Margaret Francis, Canada - Proxy to Carol Rose
1.4 Neil Dixon, GB
1.5 Natalie, Colombia
1.6 Pizazz and Piet Joubert, S Africa
1.7 Erwin Post, Holland
1.8 Tristan Reynard, NZ
1.9 Simon Talbot, Australia
1.10 Ulysse Munoz, France
1.11 Sebastian, Argentina
3.0 Opening Address – organizing documents sent out
no problems with CMAS as an organization; the problem is its leadership which is leading it away from being a democratic organization, and hockey is very poorly represented
if changes occur, in regulations and control issues, WAA would look at any proposal put forward, but the WAA but would have to be semi autonomous.
3.1 propose to accept and then discuss points in questions
general discussion voting rights – exec com vote in addition to country vote
consensus – no ex com vote – only delegates – president vote in case of tie - agreed
concern quorum of 25% too few – 51% decided/agreed
where organization HQ and legal entity?? Need to decide here today- Australia selected
3.2 general agreement draft 3/12 is working document
M to accept as working document USA/S – GB
6 in favor France will abstain from all voting at request of their federation
3.3 changes needed
3.3.1 name 1.0 name general discussion with explanations pro and con
keep focus on uw hockey
agree to call IF WAA but refer to sport as uw hockey
3.4 keep organizing documents simple without need to change frequently
3.5 agree to option #1 126.96.36.199
3.6 change zone reps – not appointed by BOD but by their region
3.7 change biannual to biennial; change GA to Congress
3.8 where to base document?
Need to write in that disputes will be held in country of origin?
Need to get recognition from IOC?
Need to be member of AGFIS too
Set up in Australia- initially
M/S PU with France abstaining
Fees suggest 500 E or 250 E?
Could be pro Rota? No proof – 2 tiers? Above and below 500 players
How funds to be used?
Fund referee training? Send trainers and bring refs to events
Teach to organize events/tournaments
Work on development – strategic plans needed/goals
Funding ?? besides dues
Licensing fees? As income/funding
Focus: start up, then development, set up working group
Costs: website, incorporation, etc
Base fees on teams entered in last WC?
M/NZ country fee below 499 players is 250E and above 500+ players is 500 E S/SA
Passed with France abstaining – dues due 1 January starting 2009
5.0 Adoption draft rules/bylaw – refer to rule changes passed at Rules meeting earlier
5.1 auto change of age and eligibility
5.2 taking those sections out of rules of play – becomes a technical doc
5.3 put in bylaws M/ S/GB PU with France abstaining
5.4 code of conduct – color of suits – country choose color including cap add to bylaws – dark blue and white not useable - - accepted
5.5 need to add drinking restrictions by country to conduct code
5.6 Pizazz, Rob and Arnout – committee for new materials
5.7 Medals – design and cost concerns – by WAA or host? Standard medals – need to research
5.8 Calendar – need to get info to website asap even if info incomplete
5.9 Referee system – Pizazz needs to fix – log games onto WAA website – needs to be standardized by level – level 1 is set; need levels 2,3. Policy needs to be written and on WAA website
Bylaws accepted as modified – lunch break
6.1 President – Graham nominated unopposed
6.2 Vice President -
6.3 Sec – Carol nominated - unopposed
6.4 Treas – needs nominee?
6.5 Rules – nominations – Woody Lee – Simon Talbot – Simon elected
6.6 Referee – nominations – Pizazz-unopposed
6.7 WTD – nominated Graham – unapposed
6.8 Grievances – nominated Erwin, Neil, Natalia - unapposed
Alternating – president 1; sec 2; vp – 2; treas - 2
Ref -1; rules – 2; WTD – 1; Grievance – 2
Develop and send status report forms to all members
7.0 Report of Committee Decisions - accepted
10. Report Refs Meeting - accepted
11. Venue 2009 Euros – Holland – has new venue
12. Venue 2010 WC - USA vs Colombia
NZ – cost of van/internal transport, cost of entry, what entry includes, accommodation costs/provide, - decide 6 pm on 2 May
13. Implications CMAS/WAA -
14. General Business
15. Closing GA until Friday 2 May – closed 3:42 pm
Friday 2 May 2008: 9pm
Re open the meeting – Graham Henderson, Chair
Several topics of discussion: Trophies, fairplay award, honor Erwin, CMAS Games participation, 2010 WC and needed officers.
1. Trophies – all trophies are on site excepting Fairplay – given to Japan in 2006 and not returned. Question of status, replacement, ownership, titles, etc. General discussion: Erwin gave some history; there are many options, and all trophies need repair. Of course, new trophies would be costly, and these are ‘our’ history. M/Australia S/GB to keep current trophies – vote in favor excepting France against. Passed
2. Fairplay trophy will be replaced and given as new trophy each WC – a keeper rather than perpetual. USOA sponsors and will support.
3. Erwin Post, referee from Holland with 25 years of service - he was also president of world hockey in 1980s, is retiring. He was honored with a current ref shirt signed by attending referees, much applause and our deep gratitude.
4. CMAS Games Participation – issue raised by S Africa. Any participation by WAA members creates perception of division in WAA. A boycott of the Games, should they actually re occur, was suggested – a suggestion only. SA appeals to other members to not participate. It was recognized that some countries benefit from CMAS membership in funding. Several members declared they would not participate in any CMAS Games, others could not speak for their parent federations decision/influence, others were open to participation in any international event to which they were invited.
5. WC 2010 – after discussion and vote, Colombia was selected by vote of members present: NZ, SA, USA, Canada (by written proxy), Argentina, Australia, France, Holland, Spain, Colombia, Great Britain.
6. Officers needed: vice president and treasurer – Neil Dixon was approved, unopposed as Vice President. No person available currently for treasurer, so secretary will be dual position. Grievance Committee re selected as Neil now vp: Erwin Post, Sebastian and Natalia.
The meeting was adjourned.
Carol Rose, secretary WAA
Carol Rose, President
Underwater Society of America
53C Appian Way
South San Francisco CA 94080
650 583 8492
650 583 6184 fax
650 224 8353 cell
Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.