--- In bolger@y..., "joannabruce4338" <jbn@p...> wrote:
> Great stuff. I have a June Bug under construction and may do keels
> as you have. I looked at pics and your dimensions, but would like
> know what material you made them of, how thick, etc.
> About barreling right on to the beach: did you also use a kick up
> rudder, or did the originally designed rudder work ok?
The keels were made from Jarrah , a west australian hardwood.
Probably very hard to find , Even here, as they ara intent on cutting
down the last 2% of the forest. It was a floorboard in it previous
existence. Basically a good tough hardwood.
I didnt glass or epoxy it at all as it grinds on bottom every time.
The rudder was originally a swing one but i got tired of fiddling
with it . I worked out the depth of the keels then built a rudder
with an ornate rounded blade to get the surface area up. it is the
same depth as the keels . so doesnt ground first . if it does we all
lean to one side.
. I also made the for and aft decks 8" shorter and extended the seats
right back to the edge of the decks. with fold downseat backs it
becomes really comfy to sail . If I were building again I would
consider making the decks at seat height all the way to the bow and
stern. this would give you SPACE.
Keep in mind that the mast fits in the boat . The mizzen has been
moved to the transom , and she carries a sprit rig.
. I have photos of her new rig, stored in the camera at the moment.
worth noting is that she has no fibreglass on her seams or butt
joints either, just good glueing and joinery.
. I'd also recomend keeping the mast partner removable, as the
second rowing position is great for the kids to learn with dad ( or