From: Leonora, Suzanne [mailto:Suzanne.Leonora@...
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 1999 12:48 PM
Hi everybody! Please post/forward liberally, especially in men's
AUDITIONS FOR WESTWIND VOICES, 1999-2000 SEASON: Auditions will be
held in Oakland on Tuesday, September 7th, from 7 pm to 10 pm. For
specific time and place, call the Director, Suzanne Leonora, at
510-547-8345. All ages etc. are welcome, but we ask that anyone under
16 bring a parent or guardian to each rehearsal and performance.
What we require:
1) Ability to hold a harmony part
2) Interest in traditional musics, especially of the U.S. and Eastern Europe
3) Commitment to rehearsals (12-5pm in Alameda on the first Sunday of every
month, 7:15-10pm in Berkeley on Tuesdays)
4) Commitment to performances with sufficient notice, like two or three
5) "Program service fees", currently $10/month (work scholarships available)
What you get:
1) A delightful, hardworking, caring bunch of people to sing with
2) Membership in Westwind International Folk Ensemble. To quote our website
> , Westwind
International Folk Ensemble is a non-profit performing ensemble dedicated to
the preservation through performance of authentic folk styles and traditions
of dance, music, and song with a unique emphasis on cultural context. Our
suites are drawn from ethnic celebrations, historic events, and the lives of
real people; every attempt is made to preserve original folk traditions.
3) Performances large and small (about two intense weekends a year, plus
eight or ten other things)
4) Training in traditional styles
5) A place in the tour to Italy, Greece and Turkey next summer
The current season's repertoire plans include Bulgarian, Croatian, Georgian
(former Soviet Republic), Yiddish, shape-note, white gospel, and Hungarian
songs, plus more American TBA (doo-wop? Andrews Sisters? barbershop?). At
least two suites will integrate dancers and singers.
The Bay Area A Cappella E-Mailing List