BuildaBridge Institute 2009 Transforming Lives Through The Creative Arts June 3-7, Open Institute June 3-10, MA in Urban Studies Residency Bryn Mawr College -Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2009View Source
BuildaBridge Institute 2009
Transforming Lives Through The Creative Arts
June 3-7, Open Institute
June 3-10, MA in Urban Studies Residency
BuildaBridge Institute is a training institute and applied research academy designed to prepare practitioners to integrate the arts effectively in education and community development.
Who can attend: artists, teachers, social service professionals, youth workers, community and congregational leaders, non profit personnel and anyone who wants to better serve those in need by learning new empowerment and holistic healing techniques and effective ways to implement them.
Courses, divided in two simultaneous tracks, will include:
- Foundations for Arts in Transformation (Track1).
- Arts and Spiritual Development (Track 1).
- Arts in Education (Track1).
- Organization for Community Arts featuring collaborative work and fund-raising (Track 1).
- Money News Network, a drama-based training program on financial management, will also be presented (Track 1).
- Arts in Healing (Track 2).
- Arts in Social Services (Track 2).
- Leadership Practicum (Track 2).
- Skills Development Workshops in: different art mediums (e.g. dance, drama, visual arts, drumming etc.); cross-cultural skills for community and overseas service (Track 1 and Track 2).
- Methods Lab Practicum where students and participants observe and assist a lead teacher in a direct arts service program with youth/seniors in a local shelter (Track 1 and Track 2).
Returning participants will also have the option to attend a third track (new) of course offerings in Emergency Arts Relief, featuring CPR, first aid and cross-cultural skills for overseas service.
A Master's Degree in Urban Studies Arts in Transformation Concentration and an accredited Certificate for Arts in Transformation are offered through Eastern University. For details, visit our website.
Class size is limited. Reserve your space in advance.
- Full Open Institute registration, which includes all course work, textbooks and supplies, is $500 for early applicants (by March 31) and $550 for late applicants (April 1 - May 25). An additional $250 covers 4 nights of room and board at Bryn Mawr College (overnight accommodation, 3 meals/day).
- A single day rate of $175 includes registration and 2 meals.
- Full Open Institute commuters can pay $115 for all meals (commuter meals include lunches and dinners from Wednesday to Saturday and lunch on Sunday).
- Registration for third track courses is $250, with room and board at $170 or commuter meals for $75.
If you would like to register, check the Institute schedule for track courses, download the appropriate forms from our website (www.buildabridge.org, click "Institute") and email them to email@example.com, or call and ask for details.
Online registration and credit card payment are also available.
- The Institute is not just a source of information, but also a platform to build social capital and inspire new ideas through a sense of belonging to the world of social service.
- Now in its eighth year, the BuildaBridge Institute has trained more than 285 professionals worldwide, and has attracted a faculty body of 85 experts in the field.
- Since 2007, the Institute is partnering with Eastern University's School for Social Change to offer a Master's Degree in Urban Studies, Arts in Transformation Concentration. For details visit the MAUS website.
Comments of Previous Attendees
"I feel that the Institute was a centering time for me to remind me why I do what I do and how to focus on the bigger vision. It was a chance for me to get my head out of the details and to be inspired by all I learned and experienced. I think I definitely need that "retreat" periodically."(2008 Alumna)
"I am planning on attending the institute track 2 courses next year because I want to build upon what I learned this year and be further prepared to be an artist on call. Also so that I can come back with my experiences from applying these methodologies and get feedback." (2008 Alumna)
"Now I can understand the ability of the arts to transform lives, to raise the quality of life in communities, to build self-esteem." (2007 Alumna)
BuildaBridge is a non-profit 501(c)3 arts education and intervention organization that engages the transformative power of the arts to bring hope and healing to children, families, and communities in the tough places of the world. BuildaBridge motivates, enlists, trains, and connects those with artistic gifts with those in greatest need. For more information about our programs, visit www.buildabridge.org