Pardo Stone is an inscribed stone introduced According to:http://www.knowital l.org/instantrep lay/files/ circle/Circle% 20of%20Inheritan ce%20Teacher% 20Guide.pdf
remarkable relic of Juan Pardo’s interior crossing was discovered in upstate
South Carolina in
June of 1935. A farmer plowing his field near Inman,
about 12 miles from Spartanburg, upturned
a large and well-preserved stone
bearing peculiar marks and Roman numerals.
Long before the white man’s
arrival in this territory, these forests – in 1935, farmlands – were
with Indian paths, crisscrossing and connecting neighboring tribes and towns.
historians believe that Captain Pardo’s exploratory route took him
across Spartanburg County,
in the northwestern part of South Carolina,
through Cherokee and Catawba lands. A known
crossing point between the
Cherokee and Catawba nations was located just a few miles south of
field in Inman, South Carolina, where the stone marker was found. The stone is
in the Spartanburg Museum.
During the time of Pardo’s inland
exploration, the fort at Santa Elena continued to grown, but
difficulty and hardship. Disease epidemics broke out in the 1570’s, and there
trouble with the Indians near Santa Elena. Nonetheless, as the colony
continued to grow,
Menendez gradually transferred his headquarters from St.
Augustine to Santa Elena. When
Menendez’s wife and her attendants arrived
in the New World, it was in Santa Elena that he
Menendez’s death in 1574, the new commander had trouble with both the settlers
Indians. When the Indians attacked the fort in 1576, the settlers
were forced to abandon it.
Waiting in their vessels to depart, they watched
the town and fort being burned by the Indians.