Aloha everybody, I have just unploaded a bunch of images to the vault. Several images of West of the Sunset and Brief Aprils books. Images of 8 differentMessage 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2000View SourceAloha everybody,
I have just unploaded a bunch of images to the vault.
Several images of West of the Sunset and Brief Aprils books.
Images of 8 different Vernon Kilns patterns.
If you can't find them send me an email.
Cadia, Thanks for the feedback about the photos. Just for clarification, I don t actually own all of those pieces. I harvested the images from variousMessage 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2000View SourceCadia,
Thanks for the feedback about the photos. Just for clarification, I don't actually
own all of those pieces. I 'harvested' the images from various auctions on ebay
over the last few months. Whenever I see an interesting item being auctioned,
I simply save the images to my hard disk. I have recently 'harvested' quite a few
more images of DB books which I can upload. Do you think that I should create
a separate folder for each book? I have several images for each book already.
Re: Leaves From A Grass-House. I purchased that book from Jean Souza (Mandarin)
recently (ebay auction number 264485797) and here is her explanation for the pagination-
- Leaves From A Grass House
- Printed by Honolulu Star-Bulletin Publishing Company, Copyright 1923 by Don Blanding.�
- I believe this copy to be a 1st Edition.
- This copy of Leaves From A Grass House is configured just slightly different than the
- standard copies, of which I am aware of there having been at least Nine printings. All
- others that I have seen are indeed Published by the Patton Company, Ltd. and specifically
- denote the �Edition� Number as a part of the copyright page information. I have personally
- handled a number of them and find these differences to be uniform.
- This Edition contains no Title Page. The first page after the fly page displays a graphic
- rendering of a coconut tree in island setting, Page 3. The copies I have been able to compare
- with contain a Title Page and this identical page with the coconut tree, is numbered Page 5.
- The copyright information is presented on Page 57 of this book, the page just before the
- rear fly page. The copies that I am able to compare with do not contain this page at the rear,
- nor do they include a rear fly page at all.
- The actual size of this book is very slightly larger. This copy is about the same height, but
- about 1/8� wider. The dust jacket measures 5 3/l6� x 7 1/8� with a fold over flap of 2 3/8�.
- The dust jacket of the copies I have to compare with measure 5� x 7� with a fold over flap of 1 5/16�.
- All other aspects of this Edition are identical to the later copies except that in this book,
- Page Numbering is started at 3 instead of 5, so all subsequent pages follow the same
- pattern of being 2 numbers less than the identical page in subsequently printed editions.
- Cover design by Jean Bernard Shiffer
- Decorations by A.S. Macleod
- Woodcut by John Poole
Hi, Curt... Thanks so much for adding the DB illustrations and Vernon Kilns photos. You have some neat VK pieces! Since some groups members have seen only aMessage 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2000View SourceHi, Curt...
Thanks so much for adding the DB illustrations and Vernon Kilns photos.
You have some neat VK pieces!
Since some groups members have seen only a bit of Blanding's work, it
really helps to have some visuals.
What printing is your Leaves from a Grass-House? The pagination is
slightly different from my 7th printing from 1923.
Curt, So we have another photo natcher! In the Vault, you will find a folder labeled Illustrations. A subfolder is called Don Blanding. This is where DBMessage 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2000View SourceCurt, So we have another photo "natcher!" In the Vault, you will find a folder labeled "Illustrations." A subfolder is called "Don Blanding." This is where DB illustrations should go. The title would include the book title and the illustration name, if there is one. There's also a Vernon Kilns folder, which you've discovered. I like your addition of the folder "Book Covers" -- which can be limited only to those and dust jackets. A folder for each book is not necessary. You'll note that I amended the "jpg" file names to descriptive titles. I don't know if you have the option of editing your entries; if not, that can be arranged. As for the miscellaneous title pages or dedication pages, perhaps these should have a separate folder? Do you have webspace, onto which you can copy Jean's very thorough explanation of the differences between Leaves from a Grass-House editions? Then you could create a mini webpage for it and upload to the vault. As I've done for the book reviews? If not, let me know and I'll do it. Thanks again for all the contributions! ~~Cadia
Curt, I have moved some of the images from Book Covers to Illustrations - Don Blanding, and will do a few more tomorrow. In the process, I am editingMessage 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2000View SourceCurt, I have moved some of the images from "Book Covers" to "Illustrations - Don Blanding," and will do a few more tomorrow. In the process, I am editing images to eliminate extraneous material and resizing to reduce the number of KB's. Photopoint is very useful for modifying images. Since you have "borrowed" images from other sources without permission, we do have to be careful about using them. This is a sensitive issue among eBay sellers. I really don't want to be sued! But, by doing some minor cropping, I can make the images appear more generic, as if we had done the scans from books we own. The Memory Room composite may have to go. The file size is too large, the scan too identifiable. I tried to resize it but the clarity suffered. I've already uploaded that particular photo of DB, I have both cover and dust jacket images on Photopoint, and any of us who own the book can pull representative illustrations. Nonetheless, this is a great start. Eventually, we can acquire the best images and then retire the others. ~~Cadia