Jun 7View Source
** Join us Thursday, June 13 at 12 noon in Newburgh for a Soup Line outside Rep Maloney's office! **
Dear CVH Power members and allies-
After Sean Patrick Maloney -- the candidate we endorsed and fought for -- won in November, we wrote this to you:
So Sean Patrick Maloney won and Round One is over.
Now, Round Two and the serious work begins.
We must ensure the rich pay their fair share. That Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, Food Stamps and housing vouchers are defended. We must demand the creation of truly affordable housing, quality jobs, and livable communities. And no matter if they are Tea Party, Republican or even Democrat, we must fight back against those that would sacrifice these programs and services that we rely on in order to continue tax breaks for the rich and for corporations.
And now Congressman Maloney has messed up big-time by voting recently with the House Republicans to cut $20.5 billion from the Food Stamps/ SNAP program. Rep. Nita Lowey of Westchester County disagreed with this, saying this vote resulted in "radical cuts."
If the bill that Rep Maloney voted for does become law, this is what it means nationally:
- $20.5 billion cut from SNAP 
- 1.8 million SNAP recipients lose benefits 
- 210,000 students lose their school lunches 
- 200,900 full- and part-time jobs lost 
And in the 18th Congressional District in the Hudson Valley, it would mean:
- $8.8 million in direct food support pulled from NY-18 in SNAP funds over 10 years 
- $15.8 million in lost economic activity in NY-18 
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO NOW:
- Call Rep Maloney's office, just like the hundreds of residents of Newburgh and Poughkeepsie that have already called, to share your anger or disappointment with his vote against funding Food Stamps. Call his office at 845-561-1259, then let us know how it went when you call!
- Join us Thursday, June 13 at 12 noon at Rep Maloney's office at 123 Grand Street in Newburgh to host the soup line with us. Contact Rae in Newburgh (Rae@..., 845-262-2020) or Jenny in Poughkeepsie for info (Jenny@..., 845-857-8415)
- Visit CVH Power on Facebook and learn more, see pictures, and check out the Facebook event for the action on Thursday!
If you are getting this email, you are an ally or member of CVH Power and that means you already understand that winning elections is only one piece of a strategy. You already know that the fight didn't end on Election Day.
You know how important this is. It's time to take action.
Thank you for all your work, and feel free to share this with a friend!
p.s. If you're not a member of CVH Power yet, click here to become a member!
 Vote: http://agriculture.house.gov/sites/republicans.agriculture.house.gov/files/farm%20bill/ROLLCALLVOTE3%28Fail-McGovern43%29Updated.pdf. Amendment: http://agriculture.house.gov/sites/republicans.agriculture.house.gov/files/farm%20bill/043McGovernT4.pdf
 USDA: http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/134117/err103_1_.pdf. The USDA finds that for every $1 billion cut from food stamps, 9,800 jobs are lost. Food stamps is the most powerful government investment in terms of generating economic activity, with $1.79 in activity for every $1 in food stamps.
 Shown as a portion of the county's food stamp recipients living in NY-18 by the $20.5 billion cut.