Concerning the cooking challenge, last I heard my Lady Lenore, you had left it completely up to us in the group to decide amongst ourselves when and how theMessage 1 of 6 , May 28, 2009View Source"Concerning the cooking challenge, last I heard my Lady Lenore, you had left it completely up to us in the group to decide amongst ourselves when and how the challenge would come about and take place."
And the discussion did continue that same evening. The date was not set in stone, but was decided on. Some were paying attention, some were not. That can be one of the hazards of an enthusiastic group and one we need to keep in check. Somehow I had also missed noticing that it was not mentioned in the minutes. Confirming it at the next Thing was the next step. I do love the enthusiasm of our members and the last thing I want to do is dampen that. We just all have to pay attention and follow-up or communicate with each other.
I did speak with Finna and I will, if it is alright with the group, take on the responsibility of communicating with the Globe. I would like to drop the announcement for now, post in the Globe some other way to get our info out there - contact numbers, addresses. I have some other ideas to check on with the group and that could be discussed at the next Thing.
"how's about we meet on Thursday, June 4th? Before D'fence begins
would be optimal as I'm sure Don wouldn't want to compromise foil
fencing for a Thing. How's about 5:30? If you are interested, please
proclaim YEA or NAY ASAP."
That could be alright, but Don may not be home by 5:30 - depends on what they have him doing that day. But why? Is there a reason we cannot have a Thing that following Saturday as usual?? Also, is the resort available at an earlier time that evening? Probably, but there are other groups and parties using the facilities and we need to get in the habit of making sure of that and not just assume it will be available at other times.
If no one is going to Woodland Romp, we could have the Cooking Challenge with a Thing afterwards on Saturday, June 6. Having the kitchen available was going to be my little surprise for the group and we do not have to use it if no one needs/wants to.
And, please, everyone, do not make our Cooking Challenge bigger than it is. The first one is merely an "Authentic Potluck" with a little backing and support about what you learned about making your dish. Just to get everyone in a researching mode. If it gets tweaked a little in the future, I will be sure to let everyone know. Dishes may be elaborate or a gathering of fruits and cheeses - just do a little research and present it on a card. This will give us testing grounds on what or not to prepare for a future feast!
"we can't have newbies standing around doing nothing or
feeling inadequate for lack of attire."
Nakedness is a great motivator!!!
I agree about the Thing at Lawrence's Party. As far as I can tell, the most urgent matter the group wants to decide on is whether or not to have a fundraiser at the faire. It should be short and sweet. Anything else would take a longer time to be discussed well and would be an intrusion on a family celebration. I do not know as of now when we are going though. Need to agree on a time we will all be there.
Let's agree to get all this organizational business stuff behind us, smooth the road before us (you know me, the realist, who also knows there will be some minor bumps in that road ahead) so we can move on to the fun stuff!
Anyone for a rousing game of Kubb?!?
In Service to Ketelblastr,
Oh, yeah, just to clear up a little detail that might be confusing to some members and new people out there. Bev Michaels is the Vendor Chair and Scribe for the Lake Superior Renaissance Faire and not for Ketelblastr.
Greetings June 4th is good for me and mine as far as I can see. Finna ... From: JP Date: 5/28/2009 6:20:31 PM To: email@example.com Subject:Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2009View SourceGreetingsJune 4th is good for me and mine as far as I can see.Finna-------Original Message-------From: JPDate: 5/28/2009 6:20:31 PMSubject: [ketelblastr] Re: Greetings Fellow Ketelblastr Members!
Allright, here's the situation as I see it concerning the weekly things. As far as I know, meetings ARE on for every weekend except for when the vast majority of the group will be away for one reason or another ie SCA events and vacations etc. However you are right, there should be a formal announcement of meetings, gatherings, things, drills, challenges and things of the sort since as of now, the only annoncement is verbal and understood within the group.
If a thing IS held and most members are not present, PLEASE do take it upon yourself to take notes and post them up immediately on the group so we can all be informed on any decisions or issues brought up mmmkay? :) I do not know of any gatherings that turned into things asides from last week, which I do thank you for giving us the heads up on what was discussed. As for calling things on a day other than Sat, ANYONE is free to bring up the idea, just be sure to give advance notice and put it in writing here on the group. Perhaps we should set up an automated alert such as what Darkstone has which sends out weekly notices about meetings?
Concerning the slowing down on fundraising and focusing more on organization, I don't see why we can't focus on both at the same time. The only reason we have been having as many fundraisers (including the proposed LSRF one) is because the opportunities have been there and have been favorable ones at that. Money isn't everything, but if we are to be remotely prepared for newcomers and their needs, we need at least a little scratch in the vault, y'know? Loaner garb and loaner gear doesn't buy itself and we can't have newbies standing around doing nothing or feeling inadequate for lack of attire.
We should definitely talk more about the bylaws though, that is for certain. Since the matter will most certainly require LOTS of conversation and whatnot, I think it would be unwise to bring it up at the proposed thing (which I am all for, by the way) at Lo's graduation party..last thing we want it to spend an hour plus away from the celebrations right? :D
I will throw it out there right now: Since there is so much we need to discuss and since it is better we take care of it sooner rather than later, how's about we meet on Thursday, June 4th? Before D'fence begins would be optimal as I'm sure Don wouldn't want to compromise foil fencing for a Thing. How's about 5:30? If you are interested, please proclaim YEA or NAY ASAP.
Concerning the cooking challenge, last I heard my Lady Lenore, you had left it completely up to us in the group to decide amongst ourselves when and how the challenge would come about and take place. Until last week, nothing had been discussed as we had the bakesale and then Beltaine back to back on the weekends. I had always assumed that all our dishes would be brought already prepared from home...but the thought of using an onsite kitchen does excite me a lil, hehehe. The only prob there (asides from the fee) would be the clean up of stoves, fridges, griddles, etc. At our next thing, let us set up the definitive challenge date! I cannot wait to taste and savour the cullinary saavy of our group!
Now as for keeping the yahoo group private...we' ll have to discuss the pros and cons of that at length at our next thing. As it stands, non members can readily read most any of our posts. They cannot however interact with us by replying to posts or even find out our contact info...which I believe to be utmostly important to us. Again, we shall talk about it :)
What I will do is print this post off and bring it to the next meeting, that way all of the aforementioned issues are discussed and (with any amount of luck) resolved. Klingt gut?
In service to Ketelblastr
--- In ketelblastr@ yahoogroups. com, "Christine Popko" <Christinepopko@ ...> wrote:
> I made the garb last year and wore it last year for the 4th parade.
> I do apologize for my contribution to the confusion of the last
> Couple of meetings. Things have been very crazy at my house
> Not just with Lo's grad (which we weren't sure of till last week
> Because he was 1 credit short till we got all the info requested
> From MARS - Rick) but otherwise too.
> Beltane was nice if a might chilly. We did learn to play bocce ball
> And we happen to have a set that we never learned to play, so
> That is cool. Saw some ladies making lacing and finger (or hand)
> Weaving. Kelly was making jewelry and had a booth. I found the
> Feast to be the most enlightening. Seems everything isn't cooked
> Beer or wine. Guess they got fancy for the royalty at Mistic. The
> Feast at Beltane was more to the liking of even our more picky
> Eaters. I know those in my vehicle had a good time.
> Yes, I agree we need better structure and better communication
> Within our group. (I know I fall painfully short on that). Yes,
> Postings would be a good place to let others know if you are
> Coming to a thing or not. As far as I know the meetings are still
> Scheduled for every Saturday. The problem being if one
> Family misses without notice, that is a big chunk of our group.
> We need to discuss who will make the decision of calling off a
> Meeting and getting in touch with Korin. This is where some of
> Our newness is showing. Though that is no excuse for common
> Courtesy and I believe we need to set up a "pecking order" as to
> If so-an-so can't come who is needed to be there to continue
> With a Thing or a gathering and who is responsible to cancel
> If that should arise again (which I am sure it will)? Must
> As for the paper, I will try - AGAIN - to get the whole thing straight.
> This time I will bring it in writing to the office - AGAIN. I don't know
> Why they are having such a problem keeping us separate from LSRF.
> -------Original Message----- --
> From: annie_nore
> Date: 5/28/2009 12:31:21 PM
> To: ketelblastr@ yahoogroups. com
> Subject: [ketelblastr] Greetings Fellow Ketelblastr Members!
> Just catching up on a few things!
> Congrats on your recent authorization, JP! Yes, we have two "official"
> fighters now and I am proud to say well-rounded fighters as they are both
> actively involved in various A&S related activities also. Vivant!!
> Thanks to all for pulling off another successful fundraiser! Working a booth
> is not my thing and I am very thankful that if the group chooses to do such
> fundraisers that members do rise to the occasion.
> Tina - is that new garb you are wearing in the craft/bake sale photos? Looks
> Job well done, Lawrence, on completing your studies! And you are in garb for
> your photo - how cool is that? Way to go!!!
> Now on to business! I do believe we should have a Thing (Meeting) ASAP as
> there are a lot of loose ends that need to be addressed.
> 1. Beltaine - how did that go? What did you learn? Enjoy?
> 2. By-laws - are we going to have some order or structure to OUR Things and
> organization that all agree to follow or a mere semblance of other
> organizations? If we had taken care of this unfinished business we would
> have avoided the more recent misinformation, misunderstandings and, yes, I
> dare say it, ignorance of some members. When was it decided that we were not
> having meetings every Saturday? I missed a gathering which may have turned
> into a Thing but no minutes were posted IF decisions were made that day. Don
> and I show up for a Thing last Saturday and found out then there was none.
> Other members showed up also. Apparently there are other decisions that have
> to be made that may have been discussed all contributing to a confused
> membership (something I thought Yahoo Group Ketelblastr was to prevent).
> 3. The Ketelblastr Yahoo Group as a separate entity - how can we make it
> WORK FOR US, MEMBERS OF KETELBLASTR, and not be yet another social group of
> casual, uninvolved members on some superficial cyberspace level? Do we want
> it to become a public airing space of "dirty laundry?"
> 4. Public Relations - the newspaper still lists us as meeting every Saturday
> from 4-9 p.m. and that we are "Society for Creative Anachronism Renaissance.
> Are we??? Korrin said that someone had shown up on a night when we did not
> meet. No one told Korrin at the resort there was no meeting. This person
> hung around for awhile expecting someone to show up and eventually left. How
> do we want to "get our name out there?" It is woefully apparent that we are
> a newly forming group made up of predominantly members who are not thinking
> with a SCAdian mindset. Members need to be made aware of the difference
> between a Rennie or a SCAdian (YES, THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE) and be able
> to separate the two at various events and enjoy themselves at the same time!
> How can we accurately portray the SCA to the public when most members are
> still at the beginning stages? We are all learning at this point and need to
> slow down on the fundraising and focus on organization at this time. We need
> to brainstorm on PR ideas.
> 5. What happened to the Cooking Challenge? At the last Thing we bantered
> about dates and came up with the weekend after Memorial Day which puts it at
> this Saturday. We just found out that there is no Thing this Saturday due to
> graduation celebrations. That is understandable, but we could have decided
> to meet a different day, no? Anyway..I had reserved the downstairs meeting
> area and worked out having the use of the kitchen (with some stipulations)
> for a nominal fee if anyone wanted to use it. I had hoped to confirm
> everything with everyone at the last Thing which Don and I thought was last
> Saturday. I will let Korrin know that we now do not need it if they have
> another group interested in that day. Next weekend is Woodland Romp, I
> believe? So that puts us at the following weekend to hold our first
> Ketelblastr Cooking Challenge. So, group, are you up to this challenge?
> Yes, there are other items that need to be discussed, but Real Life is
> calling and I need to go at this time. I feel I have thrown out the most
> important ones for now for your consideration.
> Until we meet again,
> In Service to Ketelblastr,
> Your Minister of Arts & Sciences,