The Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is a small educational
and advocacy nonprofit organization operating primarily in San Mateo
and Santa Clara Counties, with the mission to promote bicycling as a
mode of transportation and for recreation. Below are opportunities to
join us in our mission.
SVBC runs several growing programs and events that the Program
Director will manage directly. These include encouragement programs
such as Bike to Work Day and Share the Road as well as Bicyclist
Education for both youth and adults. Work duties will occur in a
variety of environments�the SVBC office, at home, and in the
community. This dynamic working environment will provide very
fulfilling work for the appropriate candidate. The Program Director
reports to the Executive Director (ED).
* Responsible for implementation and overall success of
programs. The vast majority of the candidate�s time will be spent on
direct implementation of these programs, and the candidate will need
to assume a strong leadership role and be able to make independent
decisions with confidence. The main programs and tasks currently
include the following:
o Lead SVBC�s development of Share the Road program
components, add events and manage program growth.
o Continue and expand implementation of yearly Bike to
o Lead SVBC�s development and implementation of a
comprehensive Bike Education program, to include both adult and child-
* Manage the (future) program assistant position.
* Coordinate logistics, supplies and volunteers for all SVBC
events: Bike to Work Day, Share the Road events, outreach tabling,
bike valets, Winter Party, etc.
* Coordinate fundraising auctions including solicitation of
items and donor tracking and thank-you�s.
* Work with the ED to manage budgets and reporting requirements,
work with other administrative and communication staff as appropriate.
* Ensure complete file documentation of programmatic activities.
* Create an organizational culture that values fun and gives
people the opportunity to connect around cycling.
* Coordinate events such as Bike to Work Day, parties, rides,
member meetings, and volunteer nights with a focus on sustaining and
* Recruit members using membership drives and other strategies
to grow the organization.
* Develop and maintain effective membership retention and
* Work with the ED to establish, implement and monitor annual
program and membership goals.
* Provide the ED with regular updates of program activities, and
evaluate program effectiveness.
* Assist the ED with organizational development by initiating,
exploring, and defining criteria for new program design.
Public Relations, Outreach and Development
* Represent the organization in a professional manner.
* Support the organization and increase community awareness of
SVBC through speaking at community meetings, as well as developing
relationships with members of the nonprofit, business, and political
* Write or coordinate periodic articles for website and newsletter.
* Work with the ED to prepare information for grant requests and
Other projects as assigned
* As this is a small nonprofit environment, staff members all
take on various projects at times that are not necessarily part of
their primary role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Interest in and support of SVBC mission and goals.
* Outgoing individual with ability to see and convey the big
picture as well as manage the minute details.
* Impeccable organizational and project management skills,
significant attention to detail and follow-through, ability to work
on multiple tasks in a growing and changing environment.
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to quickly and
positively establish rapport, build relationships, and gain
confidence and credibility with a diverse range of individuals.
* Mature, self-aware, high-energy, proactive, goal-focused
leader with ability to learn and make decisions quickly, and to
anticipate and perform next steps.
* Ability to be flexible and adaptable, and maintain
professional decorum under stress (with humor).
* Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
and desire to work with volunteers who provide and need varying
levels of support.
* 4 years relevant experience, BS or BA degree preferred.
Relevant experience might include project management, volunteer
management, other nonprofit work, or marketing.
* The ability to handle non-traditional and sometimes demanding
work hours including appearances at community meetings.
* A road-worthy vehicle, valid California drivers license and
proof of insurance.
* Solid understanding of a variety of software programs,
including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
* Attention to detail and willingness to handle administrative
work that accompanies program management.
* Knowledge of bicyclist skills and experience with bicycling.
* Knowledge of Peninsula communities.
* Spanish speaking.
Hours: full time
Salary: $55-62,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Closing: Open until filled. Start: ASAP.
To Apply: Send resume with cover letter to Corinne Winter, SVBC
Executive Director, at corinne@...
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]