... Riana Shaw 03/04/2008 01:30 PM To cc Subject Job announcement OAKLAND RISING JOB ANNOUNCEMENT PositionMessage 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2008View Source
----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 03/04/2008 02:10 PM -----
"Riana Shaw" <riana@...>
03/04/2008 01:30 PMTo
<Asha.Weinstein@...>ccSubject Job announcement
Position Title: Director, Oakland Rising
Organizational Background and Mission
Oakland Rising is a core team of six (6) community-based organizations who have a long term shared vision for building progressive power in Oakland. Our current work focuses on several major areas: 1) Permanent Civic Engagement: building permanent, city-wide, voter mobilization infrastructure, with the capacity to win electoral issues; 2) Organizational Alignment: maximizing and coordinating the campaign and organization-building work of Oakland Rising organizations and coalitions, and exercising influence with a broad range of progressive organizations and formations; and 3) Policy Change: Engaging with decision-makers and other key stakeholders to advance our issues, values and policy agendas.
Oakland Rising is seeking a high-energy, motivated individual to lead all aspects of the coalition, including overall coordination, management, and day-to-day oversight. Candidate must be able to harness and focus the collective energy and expertise of coalition partners and provide strategic direction to advance our shared agenda. The candidate will be responsible for Oakland Rising operations, fundraising, and project coordination and management, including scheduling and convening. In addition, this person will oversee all efforts related to organizational alignment, including the coordination of members’ campaigns and ongoing efforts to strengthen the organizations’ internal systems and structures. The candidate must have a strong understanding of all aspects of the coalition and be able to work closely with the Executive Committee of Oakland Rising and other key community representatives to achieve the coalition’s short and long-term objectives.
The Candidate should have experience working in coalitions with a diverse group of stakeholders including community groups, policy, government, labor organizations and elected officials. In addition, candidate must be a strategic thinker who can help establish Oakland Rising as an effective player in Oakland politics. The Candidate will represent the coalition with allies and decision makers and must be able to clearly communicate the coalition’s vision, goals and strategies. Finally, the candidate must be able to work collaboratively with staff from coalition organizations to strengthen the collective impact of Oakland Rising and ensure that our six organizations are greater together than the sum of our parts.
This position will supervise Oakland Rising’s Field Director and will report directly to the coalition’s Executive Committee.
1. Fundraising: Lead the fundraising efforts by drafting proposals, reports, identifying new funder prospects, and coordinating funder briefings; and support the participation of coalition members in ensuring that Oakland Rising meets its development goals.
2. Coalition Building and Organizational Collaboration: Provide leadership in the ongoing development and implementation of the coalition’s workplan including defining core goals, strategies, and activities. Work with coalition partners to ensure that each organization understands its role and effectively supports the coalition’s shared agenda. Provide ongoing troubleshooting and recommendations for increasing effectiveness of the coalition.
3. Project Coordination and Management Oversee the implementation of Oakland Rising’s workplan; develop agendas, schedule and facilitate meetings; maintain communication among coalition member organizations; convene working groups of Oakland Rising; manage contracts with Oakland Rising member organizations or other parties; provide intensive project management to ensure that deliverables are met according to stated goals and objectives; represent Oakland Rising at conferences, community events, and other public engagements; and serve as point of contact for all Oakland Rising matters. Work closely with the Oakland Rising Field Coordinator to ensure effective integration of efforts.
4. Organizational Alignment Work: Oversee the organizational alignment goals of Oakland Rising. This includes coordinating Oakland Rising retreats, creating processes to share resources among Oakland Rising partners, and assisting the Oakland Rising partners in sharing organizational workplans.
5. Strategic Partnerships: Build and sustain intentional alliances with elected officials, city staff, labor, community leaders, and other key stakeholders in Oakland.
6. Operations: Provide consistent oversight and management of the day-to-day activities of the coalition as they relate to project implementation and troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of Oakland’s political landscape and communities strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience and skills in organizational alignment and alliance building.
- Experience in working with a range of partners including government, business, labor community and policy organizations.
- Experience in community organizing/community building, project coordination and management, and grant writing.
- Excellent written and public-speaking skills.
- Demonstrated sensitivity and understanding of issues facing low-income communities of color.
- Capacity to establish goals and priorities along with the ability to multi-task to achieve deadlines.
- A team player who works well with others as well as independently.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Status: Full-time position preferred. Position reports directly to the Oakland Rising Executive Committee.
Application Deadline: March 28, 2008
Start Date: ASAP
Oakland Rising is a coalition of organizations that are Equal Employment Opportunity employers. People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Please email your cover letter and resume, AS ATTACHMENTS, to: OaklandCoor@....
Have a great day,
Assistant to the Executive Director
436 14th Street, Suite 1205
Oakland, CA 94612