City of Portland, Oregon Announces an Open Recruitment for: City Planner I – Urban Design Recruitment No. 05-216 Approximate Monthly Salary: $3,938 at entryMessage 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2005View Source
City of Portland, Oregon Announces an Open Recruitment for:
City Planner I – Urban Design
Recruitment No. 05-216
Approximate Monthly Salary: $3,938 at entry to $4,546 after three years
City Planners I perform a wide variety of moderately difficult and responsible professional planning assignments. City Planners I are expected to perform a range of planning tasks, including conducting planning research, reviewing and analyzing projects of moderate difficulty and assisting more senior planners in conducting studies and preparing reports on short- and long-range assignments and projects. City Planners I work under supervisory monitoring and direction and work is reviewed for quality of research, analysis and recommendations. City Planners I - Urban Design are responsible for reviewing development proposals subject to Design Review, Historic Design Review, and/or adjustments to development that strives toward implementing the design goals and guidelines of the City. City Planners interact with individuals and groups representing diverse interests, including property owners, developers, builders, designers, architects, landscape architects, neighborhood representatives, neighbors, and other interested parties. Some positions may require a valid state driver’s license.
Applicants must possess:
· Knowledge of theory, principles, standards, practices and information sources of urban design review and planning, including architectural design, styles, history and historic preservation.
· Knowledge of the application of urban design review and planning practices to complex urban design review and planning studies or policy development issues.
· Knowledge of construction methods and commonly used building materials.
· Ability to understand, interpret, explain and apply federal, state, regional and local law, regulations, policies, procedures and standards and planning principles and practices to specialized, complex or diverse urban design planning processes.
· Ability to understand and apply City policy in formulating recommendations involving urban design projects, resolving urban design issues or recommending policy changes.
· Ability to perform technical research and analysis of urban design and use planning issues or problems, evaluate alternatives and recommend or adopt effective courses of action.
The Recruitment Process
An evaluation of each applicant’s training and experience, as demonstrated in their cover letter, résumé and supplemental application responses, weighted at 100%. Only the most qualified applicants passing the cover letter and résumé evaluation will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list. Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection. Some positions may require those placed on the eligible list to complete and sign a criminal conviction statement before being considered for employment.
City of Portland's Scannable Application Form (Internet Applicants will complete this form in the online application process. Applicants who do not use the online application process may obtain the form at 1120 SW 5th Avenue, Suit 400, Portland, OR 97201.
Response(s) to the supplemental application items (attached), limited to one page in length each.(WE RECOMMEND YOU PREPARE YOUR RESPONSES OFFLINE ON YOUR WORD PROCESSOR AS TEXT ONLY, THEN COPY AND PASTE IN THE TEXT BOXES PROVIDED IN THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS. AGAIN AS TEXT ONLY FOR HIGHLIGHTING, TABLES, ETC ARE LOST WHEN PASTED INTO THE FORMAT OF THE TEXT BOXES.)
Cover Letter and Professional Résumé, no longer than four total pages in length, specificall y focused on your qualifications for this position as described in “The Position” and the “To Qualify” sections of this announcement. (Click blue button to see instructions in this announcement.). (WE RECOMMEND YOU PREPARE YOUR RESUME OFFLINE ON YOUR WORD PROCESSOR AS TEXT ONLY, THEN COPY AND PASTE IN THE TEXT BOX PROVIDED IN THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS. AGAIN AS TEXT ONLY FOR HIGHLIGHTING, TABLES, ETC ARE LOST WHEN PASTED INTO THE FORMAT OF THE TEXT BOXES.)
Supplemental Application Response Instructions
Read these instructions carefully.
· In addition to your cover letter and resume, you must also respond to the following supplemental application items. Please limit your response to one page.
· Your responses should provide sufficient details so that your knowledge, skills and abilities clearly demonstrate your qualifications.
· The applicant has the responsibility to convey qualification information. Describe the work you have done; be specific.
· You cannot be credited for experience or training that you do not include in your responses. Information in previously submitted application materials will not be considered. Statements such as “see previous application on file” do not substitute for completing any portion of this application.
· Do Not include information related to race, sex, age, national origin, religion, marital status or disability.
· Responses should be limited to no more than one (1) page for each item
Please describe your trainng and experience that demonstrates your qualifications in the following area.
1. Knowledge of theory, principles, standards, practices and information sources of urban design review and planning, including architectural design, styles, history and historic preservation.
2. Experience in the application of urban design review and planning practices to project review, planning studies and/or policy development issues; including the evaluation of alternatives and the recommending or adopting of effective courses of action.
All completed applications for this position must be in the possession of the Portland Bureau of Human Resources no later than 4:30 pm, Monday, November 21, 2005. Sorry, we are unable to accept faxed applications.
Minorities, women, and qualified individuals with disabilities are urged to apply. If you wish to identify yourself as an individual with a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 and will be requesting accommodation for the job testing processes, the requests must be made to the Analyst(s) named below or to the Human Resources Bureau Receptionist no later than the closing date of this announcement.
Bureau of Human Resources
City Planner I – Urban Design - 6132
Allan Messer, Sr. Human Resources Analyst, (503) 823-6821
An Equal Opportunity Employer